Some Answers To Why Police Shootings Are The Way They Are

Closed Thread
Old 10-29-2020, 03:54 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8notes View Post
I agree. The most recent shooting comes to mind, when the person with mental illness was wielding a kitchen knife. Wouldn't it be nice if that person had been able to come home to his family.
What would you do if you were the officer and a crazed man with a knife is coming at you? I know I would shoot to kill.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Why don't police carry tasers? They are a weapon, can be used at a distance, like pepper spray, and are less lethal than guns. Through the end of September 2020, over 700 people have been shot and killed by police, an increasing trend.
Why don't these "victims" of police shootings stop breaking the law, and then when they are apprehended comply with the instructions of the LEO? The common theme of most of the recent shootings was an encounter with police after committing a crime and then resisting arrest
Old 10-29-2020, 04:31 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,376 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
I agree. The most recent shooting comes to mind, when the person with mental illness was wielding a kitchen knife. Wouldn't it be nice if that person had been able to come home to his family.
When it comes to a choice of saving a criminal or a law enforcement officer I would choose the LEO every time.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:00 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Why don't police carry tasers? They are a weapon, can be used at a distance, like pepper spray, and are less lethal than guns. Through the end of September 2020, over 700 people have been shot and killed by police, an increasing trend.
That is a question for the city mayor and city council who oversee and fund the police department. The chief of police can only ask for the funding for needed equipment, the city council decides if he gets it.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:06 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Yes it would be nice if he was able to go home to his family but he chose not to follow instructions to drop the knife. Actions have consequences.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
Why don’t local governments stop defunding law enforcement, then possibly they can provide LEO’s with the non lethal alternatives.
Good question. Police departments don't set policy, the mayor and city council are supposed to control and work with the PD instead of against it.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I took a firearms training class from the local Schieffer. The subject of shooting to wound a person was discussed and examples shown. The basic rule if you have to draw your gun and fire you fire to kill. I think the professionals have to reevaluate this and maybe we have only one officer firing at first or maybe a qualified sniper shoot to wound any suspect that has a gun. The professionals who decide are those that have been in the situation.
So these officers have time to have a meeting and make decisions about how and why to shoot.

Too Late You're Dead Blue Bloods - YouTube
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Yes it would be nice if he was able to go home to his family but he chose not to follow instructions to drop the knife. Actions have consequences.
Did you miss the mental illness part?
Old 10-30-2020, 05:02 AM

And not protect you that is under threat of harm -defunding is a street I wish not to live
Old 10-30-2020, 05:09 AM
Veteran member

Parents need to train their kids not to be outlaws.

Retraining the police is not the answer.

Look in the mirror

Old 10-30-2020, 05:09 AM
Default Police shootings

If you have a gun you shoot to kill. They are trained to shoot to kill when you take a gun class or get concealed carry you are taught shoot to kill so keeping that in mind if you pull your gun it is for one purpose...kill.

You are not supposed to wave your gun to warn.

That is why we need to give police more tools and resources I am not saying abolish police help them. Retool their department
Old 10-30-2020, 05:21 AM
Default Idea!

Quote:
I have a possible solution to a lot of the police shootings...
When they tell you to stop, don’t keep running. That might work.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:25 AM
Default Tasers

Quote:
Depending on the type and quality of the taser unit, they can cost upwards of $1000, but most are around half that. Using a taser on a suspect who is under the influence of meth, and/or other drugs of abuse is a crapshoot as to whether or not it will be effective. Here's a video of two PA state troopers trying to affect an arrest of a man stopped for suspected impaired driving. They eventually had to use a taser, but as you'll see, it had limited effect, and the guy ended up shooting both troopers.

PA TROOPERS SHOOTING 2017 - YouTube

The two posters who went through the police and FBI training programs provide a good description of why police shoot to kill. There is no shoot to wound - when faced with deadly force, it's your life, or the life of the assailent.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:46 AM

So true!!!!!!!!
Old 10-30-2020, 05:47 AM

Totally correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
fbi, shoot, gun, agent, bad

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.