Some Bright Notes While We Disagree

Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2020, 08:25 AM

Wuhan Virus? Do you mean the corona virus or covid 19? Please, you are showing your political stripes in your rather interesting “scientific” article.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:27 AM

And the world is flat. Oh no, we have moved on from that and learned otherwise.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:31 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
Hence, the travel ban for which much grief was given.
Yes correct, I put the Dr Fauci quotes up there for those that think he's the second coming and to remind them that the chief epidemiologist of the USA was giving some bad advice to the administration. Fauci also initially argued against the China travel ban and said they don't work. The genetic studies tracing the virus I've posted show that most of the infections in USA came from Europe to New York City, and from New York City to the rest of USA. Not direct from China.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
Our government was fully aware of this virus in early January. Why were we not notified immediately?
i think nobody expected this disease to get out of hand. i distinctly remember @ 1 point fauci saying we didnt need masks, or any type of restrictions because the virus was of little concern to us. boy has that changed!!!
Old 05-20-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
- A joint MIT and Harvard study has determined that the Wuhan Virus has difficulty transmitting in temperatures over 77 degrees. They have determined that the rate of transmission drops an average of 1.7% for each degree at 77 or above. Adding in humidity and wind enhances the decrease. Today will be around 90 and humid. You have a 22% to 25% LESS chance of getting infected.

- Yesterday, Moderna, a pharmaceutical development company, announced positive results in it's first trial of a revolutionary new way to design a vaccine based on genetic research. Using genetic mRNA ( ribonucleic acid) from the SARS-CoV-2 virus ( Wuhan Virus). the mRNA tell the body to begin producing antibodies to the virus which block the virus from entering the cells. No actual virus is used or injected, just this "messenger" RNA. After two doses over 43 days, test subjects had similar or far greater antibodies than those found in the blood serum of recovered cases. No adverse side effects were found. Phase 2 is under way with an increased number of test subjects and Moderna expects to have millions of doses ready later this year.

- Finally, Sorrento Theraputics, another developer, announced last Friday that they had isolated an antibody, STI-1499, that they claim can provide "100% inhibition of the Wuhan Virus. Injecting the antibody eliminates the need for a vaccine to do the work. More testing needs to be done but it is promising.

Bottom line, American genius and American business are running at top speed to eliminate the threat. Things are looking up!
There is probably a quick answer, but if the virus dies above 77 degrees, how does it survive in our bodies at 98 degrees? Just sayin'....
Old 05-20-2020, 09:48 AM
TOTV Moderator

Many, many posts were removed - off topic, empty content, political, orphan, directed; please stay on topic or the thread will be closed.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:59 AM

If the 77 degree temperature reduces the rate of infection, why is it that Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties have the majority of the infections in FL? Makes no sense.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:22 AM
Veteran member

I would truly like to believe that warm weather is a deterrent to COVID-19, however, it was summer in Australia when it was winter in the US. Their hot weather didn’t stop it and I believe Tom Hanks and his wife were in Australia when they contracted the virus. Australia is reluctantly beginning to open up. Time will tell. I can only say that I am hopeful that the warmer temperatures will make a difference, but I have my doubts that weather is the difference. The temperatures in Australia varied from the 70’s to 90’s during the months the virus was at its worse there.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:25 PM
Location: New Hampshire, now Heathrow on Lake Deaton Preserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
If it helps, I mentally deleted your statement as soon as I read it.
Indeed, some folks find it much easier to IGNORE facts or "DELETE" them from their minds because the FACTS present a challenge to their baseless, unsupported, conclusions. Hence, the word IGNORANT becomes applicable. Even if it's uncomfortable to consider information that is contrary to one's viewpoint, it is vital to do so in order to develop a modicum of intellectual prowess.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:41 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy77 View Post
I haven't been able to find the study you're referring to, Aloha. Could you provide a link?
Hotter Summer Temperatures May Slow Down COVID-19 Transmission, but are Not Likely to Quench the Epidemic, According to New Research from the MIT Sloan School of Management | BioSpace
Old 05-20-2020, 12:49 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matandch View Post
Wuhan virus?🤔. What’s that, something new? Not another novel virus. At this rate we’re doomed.😳 We haven’t even figured out how to deal with covid-19 yet! One thing after another..
Using standard nomenclature for viruses, the SARS-Cov-2 virus was originally linked to Wuhan, China hence the name Wuhan Virus, The term Covid19 refers to the disease caused by the Wuhan Virus. They are the same.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:49 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikearoni View Post
Indeed, some folks find it much easier to IGNORE facts or "DELETE" them from their minds because the FACTS present a challenge to their baseless, unsupported, conclusions. Hence, the word IGNORANT becomes applicable. Even if it's uncomfortable to consider information that is contrary to one's viewpoint, it is vital to do so in order to develop a modicum of intellectual prowess.
Sorry you applied the ignorant factor to your life. Those of us who well-read from reliable sources prefer to spit the malarkey factor from our brains.

That poster directly attacked the moderator of this forum which is a no-no, if you were unaware.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:51 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebrock View Post
Wow two encouraging statements in the first post then boom. Down the tubes you all go. I was told this was not a nice place. Now I see why.
Don't be discouraged. This IS a nice place to live! Some folks have just been cooped up too long, I guess.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theruizs View Post
It is COVID-19, not the “Wuhan virus.” The latter is just anti-Chinese propaganda that does no good for anyone to keep repeating. Sad to see that is being used in what are supposed to be reports on scientific breakthroughs.
No it is not. I refer you to Ebola, Zika, Hong Kong Flu, etc. All named after the origin sites.
In 2015, that paragon of independence, WHO, went PC and decided to not use that naming convention any more . Perhaps you should ask them why?
Old 05-20-2020, 12:56 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamhobbs View Post
Where can I find these studies or the source of these studies
I provided one further up but Google your friend. Just type in Sorrento, or Monderna, or MIT Temperature study.

Tags
virus, wuhan, antibody, doses, announced

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.