Something about Flying not being comfortable anymore?

Closed Thread
Old 10-06-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
I've never had a "suite" on a wide body though. My favorite place is upper deck on a 747. On Asiana, which is where I flew many times business international, those seats were great and it's quiet up there.
I agree - the upper deck of the 747 was also my favorite “environment”. And although I hate to admit it - the Airbus A380 bar area was pretty incredible. The new suites are a fantastic way to travel (but expensive). I was lucky enough to experience most of them when I was working.
Old 10-06-2021, 12:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
I had to laugh when I saw an article about a new class of flying, because recently a number of posts were complaining about how cramped the seating is now.

Well, turns out something is being done about that in various airlines around the world. I haven't seen any indication it is coming to the US anytime soon...

It's called "Suite Class" for private suites in commercial flights.

What It'''s Like to Fly the $23,000 Singapore Airlines Suites Class
Amen Bro, I have made a basket of bad decisions in my life. If bad decisions were money I would rival Warren Buffet! And maybe the problem is the lethargy of Americans that has lead to our being overweight and bulging large and all in the wrong places. I saw something in that other TV Land news web page about a 650 lb man arrested by police. He probably did not fit into their squad car. They might have had to ROLL him back to the station - he might take up 2 cells.

Last edited by jimjamuser; 10-06-2021 at 12:13 PM. Reason: additional enlightening prose
Old 10-06-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
But it is round trip, if it was one way I’d have an issue, lol.

I can’t fly yet. Had to cancel Aruba for the 2nd year as it is a 5 hour flight. Also will continue to drive to The Villages from Massachusetts.
We went to Aruba in August for our 25th anniversary out of Logan. Was not a bad flight. Took the kids and grandchild. Had a great time.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug R View Post
I agree - the upper deck of the 747 was also my favorite “environment”. And although I hate to admit it - the Airbus A380 bar area was pretty incredible. The new suites are a fantastic way to travel (but expensive). I was lucky enough to experience most of them when I was working.
I was on a 380 two times. I can't recall where I was flying to, maybe Germany because under 8 hours, my company would only allow seat upgrades to premium economy, not full on Business. Anyway, I didn't have the nerve to check out that part of the plane. Maybe next time. Sounds really cool.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:40 PM

Good point! My kids tell me to spent everything & have a good time. Trouble is, I don't remember what a good time is and is it still legal?
Old 10-06-2021, 08:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaids View Post
Good point! My kids tell me to spent everything & have a good time. Trouble is, I don't remember what a good time is and is it still legal?
Sigh, it's illegal, it's immoral, or it makes you fat...

the Beverley Sisters LIVE - "It's Illegal, It's Immoral Or It Makes You Fat" - YouTube
Old 10-07-2021, 06:03 AM
Veteran member

If you can afford $23,000, and it's actually quite better to fly and charter a private jet plane probably for half that price and only have you and your family on it . I know a billionaire but actually he would prefer a large 747/777 has those cabins are extremely large as a charter.
In my life I have flown 14-18 hour flights to Asia and it was a big improvement when they finally designed Lye flat seats to begin with and a domestic airlines upgraded to real cabins where you had more than 12 in to stretch. I always bought the seats on the cheap and I paid 1/3 of what the guy next to me would pay because he got it for free from his clients. How is the spendthrift but enjoyed the actuality of the luxury of the flight compared to some snook in the back with a 22 inch wide seat
Old 10-07-2021, 06:39 AM

I just got back from Alaska and didn’t notice anything different this flight versus previous flights. It’s been cramped for years for the non-First Class flyers.

Hike naked, it adds color to your cheeks!
Old 10-07-2021, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
That's S$23,000 (Singapore dollars)... "Only" US$18,400 American... Sign me up!
I’m an Airbus captain for a major AAmerican Airline and when you can buy a group 9 ticket for $50 round-trip I don’t see how you can expect anything other than a cattle car! And please don’t forget to social distance right until you go through security screening and get on an aircraft with 195 passengers, you might wind up ducted taped on you way to a federal detention center. Unless of course you’re an undocumented immigrant, What a joke!

Last edited by Jsan143; 10-07-2021 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-07-2021, 07:39 AM

Speaking of Airlines, if you have time to kill, call JETBLUE. Last month I called to book a flight and use the credit they gave me due to Covid-19 cancellations, after three and a half hours;with my phone on speaker rather than tote it around, someone finally says , hi can I help you, then hangs up. Yesterday we decided to call again, this time only thirty minutes, which after booking and getting back our credit; minus the early booking fee I originally paid for, which they refused to credit back, we were done. I will NEVER do business with that company again. Always used SOUTHWEST, but tried JETBLUE, and as you can see that was a big mistake.
Old 10-07-2021, 07:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsan143 View Post
I’m an Airbus captain for a major AAmerican Airline and when you can buy a group 9 ticket for $50 round-trip I don’t see how you can expect anything other than a cattle car! And please don’t forget to social distance right until you go through security screening and get on an aircraft with 195 passengers, you might wind up ducted taped on you way to a federal detention center. Unless of course you’re an undocumented immigrant, What a joke!
Excellent example of venting and conflating unrelated issues. Congratulations. Remind me not to fly with you.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:04 AM
Default Solution

The solution is simple...
Buy a jet.
All the room you want and it goes and comes on your schedule
Old 10-07-2021, 08:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
If you can afford $23,000, and it's actually quite better to fly and charter a private jet plane probably for half that price and only have you and your family on it . I know a billionaire but actually he would prefer a large 747/777 has those cabins are extremely large as a charter.
In my life I have flown 14-18 hour flights to Asia and it was a big improvement when they finally designed Lye flat seats to begin with and a domestic airlines upgraded to real cabins where you had more than 12 in to stretch. I always bought the seats on the cheap and I paid 1/3 of what the guy next to me would pay because he got it for free from his clients. How is the spendthrift but enjoyed the actuality of the luxury of the flight compared to some snook in the back with a 22 inch wide seat
Interesting, I know nothing about chartering private jets, but a quick google seems to imply $1,000 to $10,000 per flight hour, and the Singapore to NY flight is 27 to 30 hours one way.

I guess if you are rich enough to afford this (assuming your company isn't paying) then another zero or two on the end doesn't matter. After all, $100 Million boats are now a thing.
Old 10-07-2021, 04:33 PM
Platinum member

I think Delta One is one of the best for Suites. Takes some study to figure out the controls though.
Old 10-09-2021, 06:05 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,339 Posts

I see lots of global warming going on in this post.
Closed Thread

Tags
class, flying, commercial, indication, airlines

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.