VA Gainsville

Closed Thread
Old 02-13-2018, 04:42 PM
Default VA Gainsville

Going to Gainsville VA for cataract surgery. Have to go the day before for post op and then surgery the next day. They said we will have to stay overnight as operation is early AM. Said they will put us up for the night . Has anyone done this and where did they put you up for night?
Old 02-13-2018, 06:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwscott View Post
Going to Gainsville VA for cataract surgery. Have to go the day before for post op and then surgery the next day. They said we will have to stay overnight as operation is early AM. Said they will put us up for the night . Has anyone done this and where did they put you up for night?
I had cataract surgery at Gainesville VA August 2014. They're two operations since they won't do both eyes at the same time, mine were about two weeks apart. I also had to stay overnight in 2011 for angioplasty. Different motels each visit. First time I believe it was Motel 6 just off Route 24 exit to the east and next to the interstate. Next visit was for the eyes and that was two visits and stayed both times at the Quality Inn at the first Gainesville exit, it's right after the Farm Bureau Hdqs, can't miss. This one the motel is on the west side and up on a hill, you'll need to cross under the interstate to reach the motel. It's actually easier to get to the hospital from that exit. When you leave the motel, go back under the interstate and about 100 yards on the left there's a McDonalds on the corner, turn left at the light onto a big 6 lane road, take that north and you'll hit 24 much closer to the hospital.

You arrive at the hospital about 6:00, so take an alarm clock or leave a wake up call and you'll probably take some eye drops at the motel that they will give you ahead of time. You'll also have eye drops to take after you've returned home. You sit in a small lobby area near the elevators not far from the parking lot entrance. There was about 20 people waiting, and after quite a while, maybe 6:30 or 6:45 they take everyone into another waiting area and then later to a recovery/pre-op room. Then you change into a gown and wait until close to your time, mine was about 9am both times. They'll come back about 8am and fill your eyes up with guck, they might start an IV for some twlight medicine. You'll be wheeled to an operating room.

Everyone is very nice, they'll even ask what kind of music would you like to hear. I said, I don't care, they said OK the Beatles. They're all very friendly. The fellow who did the operation was a intern or a resident, but you can hear the instructor give him directions. Your whole face will be covered except for a small circle for just your eye. There's no pain, you may feel some pressure down on your face. You'll come out of recovery with a metal cone patch over your eye. After a couple of hours they release you around noon, but you'll still be too high to drive. It's nothing like twlight that I had after getting a stent, this is more long lasting, so bring a driver.

After you return home you'll wear those big black sunglasses you sometimes see people wear. You'll have them on for about 3 days because light will be a problem if you don't. So plan on sitting around the house and watching TV for a couple of days.

Hope this information helps, your welcome!!

Last edited by John_W; 02-15-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
day, gainsville, night, put, surgery

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.