Source of Electricity across the US

Closed Thread
Old 10-28-2020, 09:10 AM
Default Source of Electricity across the US

Saw this article in the NY Times today on the source of electricity in each state and how it has changed over the last 20 years. Interesting to see the influence of market forces and state regulations.

How Does Your State Make Electricity? - The New York Times
Old 10-28-2020, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,144 Times in 830 Posts

As the NY Times is behind a paywall, perhaps you could summarize the information and tell us what conclusions you drew from the data presented?
Old 10-28-2020, 11:39 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
As the NY Times is behind a paywall, perhaps you could summarize the information and tell us what conclusions you drew from the data presented?
Just read the article and formalize a conclusion your self.
Windmills do not cause Cancer!
Old 10-28-2020, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Sorry that it is behind a paywall. It is a fairly thorough review of each state. What follows is a poor attempt to review an excellent article. While each state is following their own path, the price of natural gas is driving the replacement of coal fired plants with natural gas. Overall, the costs of renewable energy continues to fall and the regulations requiring the industry to source renewable energy results in an increase for the contribution of that sector. Interestingly, solar energy does not contribute a lot to the generation of electricity in Florida. On a personal note, having looked at the economics of installing solar on my home, I can't justify that investment. Not sure what the economics look like on a larger scale. Given the amount of wind we have here, I would have thought wind farms would be bigger. May be the hurricanes deter investment.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:43 PM

Archived version: https://archive.is/WDrQC
Old 10-30-2020, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtennent View Post
Sorry that it is behind a paywall. It is a fairly thorough review of each state. What follows is a poor attempt to review an excellent article. While each state is following their own path, the price of natural gas is driving the replacement of coal fired plants with natural gas. Overall, the costs of renewable energy continues to fall and the regulations requiring the industry to source renewable energy results in an increase for the contribution of that sector. Interestingly, solar energy does not contribute a lot to the generation of electricity in Florida. On a personal note, having looked at the economics of installing solar on my home, I can't justify that investment. Not sure what the economics look like on a larger scale. Given the amount of wind we have here, I would have thought wind farms would be bigger. May be the hurricanes deter investment.
Maybe the wind blows on the coasts, but nothing Around here compared to Midwest. There are solar farms going in around state.
Old 11-05-2020, 11:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
Just read the article and formalize a conclusion your self.
Windmills do not cause Cancer!
I don't have an account with the NYT so I can not read the article.

Tags
source, state, electricity, regulations, forces

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.