Southwest Airlines cancels 1,800 flights

Closed Thread
Old 10-11-2021, 02:22 PM
Default Southwest Airlines cancels 1,800 flights

They are trying to blame it on bad weather but other airlines did not have large numbers of cancellations.

The disparity between Southwest’s operation and other airlines fueled speculation on social media that employees were calling out sick, with some suggesting it was in protest of a Covid vaccine mandate. Southwest said that was not the cause of the mass flight cancellations.

Southwest Airlines cancels 1,800 flights, blaming weather and staffing

Appatrently the pilots are unhappy with the vax mandate but can't say so officially through their union because such a walkout would be illegal. This could easily spread to other airlines, I wouldn't want to be booked on flights right now.
Old 10-11-2021, 02:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

This puzzles me. When I was taking flying lessons I met several pilots and they all invariably showed good judgement. I wonder where did that judgment go with respect to vaccines?
Old 10-11-2021, 03:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
This puzzles me. When I was taking flying lessons I met several pilots and they all invariably showed good judgement. I wonder where did that judgment go with respect to vaccines?
Why assume that it is anti-vaccine? Perhaps it is anti-mandate? There are a lot of health care workers (and other first responders) nationally who are refusing the vaccine despite the threat of job loss. Beaumont Health in Michigan for example, is offering a 10K sign-on bonus to cover staffing shortages.

So if the pilots are anti-vaccine and not anti-mandate, then perhaps the health care workers who are refusing the vaccine are anti-vaccine, and not anti-mandate as well. If health care workers are anti-vaccine, then perhaps they know something that should cause pause for others?
Old 10-11-2021, 03:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,025 Times in 5,324 Posts

Glad we were not flying to go on a cruise now.
Old 10-11-2021, 06:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Good point, and who in their right mind would want to get on a plane anyways if it is being flown by someone with such poor judgement. I support the mandate, but wish the mandate would also include all passengers so we could get comfortable flying again.
Old 10-11-2021, 06:49 PM
Platinum member

A couple of investment advisers I follow, are saying LUV is a strong buy now.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralway View Post
A couple of investment advisers I follow, are saying LUV is a strong buy now.
I hope they get their $hit together, we have almost a half million frequent flier miles waiting to be cashed in on trips back and forth between our homes.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

I can’t fly anyway but will be driving down nextMonday. Can’t wait, hoping to make our 20 hour ride more like 18 hours but we shall see.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,467 Times in 3,092 Posts

I'm a bit confused by news "reporting" of this, and the surprise of people learning about this. Southwest Airlines announced back in November 2020 that they were going to be doing a bunch of layoffs and changing their schedules around. They announced it again in December.

In August of this year (2 months ago) they announced they'd be cutting flights and laying off more people through November 5.

It was an announced thing, it's not a "gotcha" situation, conspiracy, or coverup at all.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I'm a bit confused by news "reporting" of this, and the surprise of people learning about this. Southwest Airlines announced back in November 2020 that they were going to be doing a bunch of layoffs and changing their schedules around. They announced it again in December.

In August of this year (2 months ago) they announced they'd be cutting flights and laying off more people through November 5.

It was an announced thing, it's not a "gotcha" situation, conspiracy, or coverup at all.
LOL They cancelled 1800 flights in two days, stranding tens of thousands of paying customers and causing a huge ripple effect with other airlines, and you think this was "just planned cutbacks" Too funny
Old 10-11-2021, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Good point, and who in their right mind would want to get on a plane anyways if it is being flown by someone with such poor judgement. I support the mandate, but wish the mandate would also include all passengers so we could get comfortable flying again.
You do understand that there are probably over 100 million Americans who have survived covid and have stronger and longer immunity than the fully vaccinated right?

I'd rather get on a plane with 100% verified covid survivors than fully vaccinated people. The CDC measured breakthrough cases in Los Angeles and 25% of all cases were breakthroughs of fully vaccinated people. I don't like those odds in an aluminum tube packed cheek to jowl with potential carriers.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I am not sure why, if an average passenger is vaccinated and is wearing a mask, which is required in US airports and on US flights (including chartered flights), there would be a lack of comfort in flying? The flight attendants wear masks for the entire flight and I have only seen a pilot leave the cockpit to use a forward restroom, not engaging with the passengers during the flight. So then, does the vaccine work and does masking help prevent the spread of Covid? If they do, then it would seem flying might be uncomfortable for some, Covid or not. Should they not work, then why require them?
Old 10-12-2021, 03:01 AM
Default Vaccine Safety

Quote:
No one knows( medical, scientists, microbiologists, virologists etc) the long or short term effects from the vaccine. P.S. why are all the medical trials on medications done by the COMPANY that makes them? This seems like a big problem to me.
Old 10-12-2021, 03:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

I do not know the full facts regarding S.W. Airlines problems, but the fact I do know is, the OP has only ever posted threads that are guaranteed to turn political, and stir up the same old anti-vaccine argument.
He is an Agent Provocateur of the first order!
Old 10-12-2021, 05:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

NEWS6 reporting Southwest is being sued by employess over mandates. they didn't say which, but gave the impression it was referring to the vax
Closed Thread

Tags
airlines, mandate, cancellations, southwest, flights

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.