Space-X Crew Dragon re-entry. LIVE

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2020, 09:15 AM
Veteran member

I was glued to the tv as they blasted off, when they arrived at the space station and when they came back to earth. I hope the US will always be in the space exploration business. I look forward to a space station at the moon and the flight to Mars. It's heady stuff. Go USA!
Old 08-03-2020, 10:06 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
We aren't back to that capacity. As I said - it was thanks to Elon Musk that this one went at all.

Space Exploration Technologies Corp., trading as SpaceX, is an American aerospace manufacturer and space transportation services company headquartered in Hawthorne, California.

SpaceX designs and builds its reusable rockets and spacecraft at its headquarters in Hawthorne, California. As a company, SpaceX is vertically integrated, building the vast majority of the vehicle on the Hawthorne campus. SpaceX headquarters remains one of the few facilities in the world where you can see an entire launch vehicle or spacecraft come together under one roof.

Spacex testing facility is in Texas. Spacex launch facilities are in Florida, California, and Texas.

Sure sounds like "we" as in America, are back at space launch capacities.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post

Space Exploration Technologies Corp., trading as SpaceX, is an American aerospace manufacturer and space transportation services company headquartered in Hawthorne, California.

SpaceX designs and builds its reusable rockets and spacecraft at its headquarters in Hawthorne, California. As a company, SpaceX is vertically integrated, building the vast majority of the vehicle on the Hawthorne campus. SpaceX headquarters remains one of the few facilities in the world where you can see an entire launch vehicle or spacecraft come together under one roof.

Spacex testing facility is in Texas. Spacex launch facilities are in Florida, California, and Texas.

Sure sounds like "we" as in America, are back at space launch capacities.

Agree completely makes me proud that we are back in business
Old 08-03-2020, 03:17 PM

I watched the whole thing live, and they didn't seem impatient or anxious at all. They were 'checked in on" frequently during that 10 or so minute time, and seemed perfectly happy to wait and make sure everything was safe! I just hate that I never could find video of them leaving the Navigator to board the helicopter, transferring from chopper to aircraft, and landing in Houston and getting to see their wives and boys! It was truly awesome. By then end, I was actually shedding tears of relief, pride and joy for all involved.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfan View Post
So NASA had nothing to do with it?
NASA had everything to do with it. The contract was worth 2.6 billion to SpaceX plus there was engineering support throughout the development. Elon constantly reminds us that it is a partnership and they would not have been able to achieve what they have without NASA writing checks. That's not a bad thing.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 08-03-2020, 08:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
NASA had everything to do with it. The contract was worth 2.6 billion to SpaceX plus there was engineering support throughout the development. Elon constantly reminds us that it is a partnership and they would not have been able to achieve what they have without NASA writing checks. That's not a bad thing.
Wish this would have happened say 25 years ago.would be nice to see mankind walking on Mars.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
That's pretty much my point. On the first page of this thread, the implication was that NASA was wholly responsible for this, the credit went to them, and to America - as in - our government, thanks to our federal organizations, and no one else.

But NASA would not have had a flight to oversee, if Musk's company hadn't built the ship.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:11 AM

Quote:
That's pretty much my point. On the first page of this thread, the implication was that NASA was wholly responsible for this, the credit went to them, and to America - as in - our government, thanks to our federal organizations, and no one else.

But NASA would not have had a flight to oversee, if Musk's company hadn't built the ship.
And if NASA had not funded SpaceX, it would not be building the spacecraft. At least not with the rapidity it has.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfan View Post
And if NASA had not funded SpaceX, it would not be building the spacecraft. At least not with the rapidity it has.
...at least not with the rapidity it has.

SpaceX has already built ships, without any funding from the government at all. It was SpaceX that shot Musk's personal Tesla roadster into orbit, not NASA. Musk has been at the forefront of space exploration more than any other entity, government or otherwise, for the past two decades.

Note, I can't stand Elon Musk. I don't own stock, I don't own one of his vehicles. But credit to where it's due and stop with the gaslighting. The USA - as a country - did plenty of work on this project and were instrumental in getting the ship into space. But Musk and his company are the ones who created the vehicle and had the wherewithall to inspire NASA to do this project at all.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:02 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
...at least not with the rapidity it has.

SpaceX has already built ships, without any funding from the government at all. It was SpaceX that shot Musk's personal Tesla roadster into orbit, not NASA. Musk has been at the forefront of space exploration more than any other entity, government or otherwise, for the past two decades.

Note, I can't stand Elon Musk. I don't own stock, I don't own one of his vehicles. But credit to where it's due and stop with the gaslighting. The USA - as a country - did plenty of work on this project and were instrumental in getting the ship into space. But Musk and his company are the ones who created the vehicle and had the wherewithall to inspire NASA to do this project at all.
Psychologists use the term “gaslighting” to refer to a specific type of manipulation where the manipulator is trying to get someone else (or a group of people) to question their own reality, memory or perceptions. And it’s always a serious problem, according to psychologists.

Nobody even mentioned NASA on the first page of thread until after your comments. Posts were just expressions of pride that the USA was back in space.

I'm pretty sure we can be proud of our country space endeavors whether the accomplishment comes from a private American company or the government.

I'm also pretty sure there is some gaslighting going on by someone in this thread.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Psychologists use the term “gaslighting” to refer to a specific type of manipulation where the manipulator is trying to get someone else (or a group of people) to question their own reality, memory or perceptions. And it’s always a serious problem, according to psychologists.

Nobody even mentioned NASA on the first page of thread until after your comments. Posts were just expressions of pride that the USA was back in space.

I'm pretty sure we can be proud of our country space endeavors whether the accomplishment comes from a private American company or the government.

I'm also pretty sure there is some gaslighting going on by someone in this thread.
Well said, wonder why someone would start saying that Musk didnt count.

Guess some manipulators are better than others.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Watched the news conference with the Space Dads today.....enjoyable to hear how the ship performed and the descriptions they used. There were no surprises. Then this evening SpaceX's Starship did a 500 ft hop. If you like space stuff great time to watch the NASA channel and visit the SpaceX site.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

Tags
re-entry, live, space-x, splashdown, ready

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.