Speedtrap info

Closed Thread
Old 11-27-2007, 03:16 PM
Sage
Default Re: Speedtrap info

Cliff, 040 .. I actually find myself agreeing with you! I think you've taken the "popular" view this time. I have no problem with observing the speed limits, everywhere we drive in TV there is beautiful scenery, very relaxing. Not sure why anyone feels they have to speed in a retirement community. ???
Old 11-27-2007, 04:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Like DonnaL and Cliff, as I always say if you don't exceed the speed limit you won't get a ticket. Think about it if your trip is less than 15 miles going 45 instead of 35 will get you there maybe a few minutes quicker.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:02 PM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.

Well I have to be honest....I am both a law abiding citizen AND a lawbreaker :verymad: :redface:

When in TV I drive a Golf Cart because I can't go fast enough to break the speed limit :bigthumbsup: also I find that I have to drive really defensively because frankly some of the others drivers scare me to death speeding through the tunnels, crossing the roads, etc or driving too slowly and/or erratically. It is particularly unnerving when folks don't use turn signals and cut you off by taking a right turn from the left by speeding up passing you especially in roundabouts/traffic circles; !! :edit: :realmad::realmad:

On the other hand I have a tendency to drive above the speed limit on highways/freeways :verymad: :redface:, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa. Just lucky for me I haven't gotten a speeding ticket since maybe 1990.

Golfnut I do agree with you that the difference between 45 vs 35 or even 55 vs 45 is only a few minutes and I try to remind myself of that when driving. Where I'm in trouble is on my way to work; I'm often impatient and like a lot of folks in the the Northeast I seem to find myself rushing around all the time. When I first moved here I almost had a stroke due to the aggressiveness of Boston drivers and now I've become one of them :redface:; my bad. So like Cliff and Barefoot at last say I deserve to be ticketed
Old 11-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Taltarzac

I do have a problem with entrapment. From what I have heard some of these speed traps are set up so that not enough notice is given to people about the change in speeds. Why else would they call them speed traps? Not sure that there are any genuine speed traps in TV unless you are coming off of Parr from the area of the Villages Public Library and are unaware of the school speed zone limits. Newbies would seem to fit that bill coming off of Parr. It does not look the Villages set up a speed trap on Parr though unlike again from what I have heard of various towns around the US.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I admit to being a speeder. Not so much in TV but just in general. I've driven fast cars most of my life. I have a tendency to drive a car the way it was meant to be driven, which is rarely by the rules of the road. However, I have taken several defensive driving classes, have my NASCAR license and can probably outdrive 98% of the drivers on the road. Does that excuse my speeding? No, but it probably makes me a safer driver at 100 mph than most at 25.

I've had my share of tickets. I've only fought one and that was because I wasn't speeding when I got it. I understand I'm breaking the law when I speed and I don't argue the tickets nor do I try to excuse myself when I'm pulled over. (I do, however, pull out my NASCAR license, which frequently works well enough to not get the ticket).

However, speed traps are another thing. There was one where I used to live that if you went 2 miles over the limit, you got a ticket. I firmly believe people should be aware of those. They are not fair and are not done for any safety purpose -- they are there strictly as a way for a town to make money. Those that are there for safety are usually well advertised -- the goal is to get people to slow down, not issue a citation. So, I'll stick with the right of others to know where speed traps are, especially in strange towns.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-27-2007, 06:48 PM

Redwich. Bull.... Having a NASCAR license gives you absolutely no right to put the rest of the world in danger while you are speeding. If you are smart enough to know that you are speeding, how in the world can you justify continuing to do it? Is it some superiority thing? You, of all people, should know better than to look down on the rest of us. ;D ;D
Mildenhall England
Gretna La
Greenville, RI
Jacksonville FL
TV
Old 11-27-2007, 07:32 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I don't speed in heavy traffic. That's stupid. However, if it is a freeway, nighttime and minimal traffic, I'm going as fast as my car will allow. I do not whip in and out of traffic. I slow down long before I get close to another car to see what lane it is going to be in and then move over or not as is appropriate and pass the vehicle before I go on my merry, heavy-footed way again. I even go well below the speed limit when it is raining or there is heavy fog or anything else I perceive as hazardous.

I have been put in danger many a time by non-speeders. I've had to do a complete 360 on the Oakland Bay Bridge because the fool in front of me thought slamming on the brakes and not having his bike strapped down (in the trunk) was a reasonable thing to do (and, no, I wasn't tailgating or speeding, just one of those flukes). I've ended up on the shoulder by fools changing lanes without looking. So far as I know, no one has ever been in danger because of my love of speed.

You're right, having a NASCAR license doesn't give me the right to speed. What it does do is require a defensive driving course every 5 years. I must prove I can handle a car under almost any condition. It makes me much more aware what is out there and what could happen and, more importantly, what to do when it does happen.

And, where, pray tell, did I give the impression that I was looking down on anyone? I'd say it's you who is still on his high horse, not me.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-27-2007, 09:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Cliff, you need to lighten up a little, seems like you like to pick apart every post, just my .02, not trying to bust your chops, really.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:09 PM

Redwich, just showed your posting to my wife on your reason for feeling that you can speed safely and her comment was "Let her speed, so long as she kills herself and nobody else." So, I'm sorry for coming down on you and saying you have no right to jeapordize the rest of us. Golfnut is probably right. What right does a lawabiding citizen have to come down hard on lawbreakers? God forbid I should say anything not politically correct in this day and age. Go, woman, get your pace car out there on the highway and do your thing. Even my wife (you would have to know her to appreciate this) agrees with me on this. Quote from spouse "she is just bragging about her driving abilities and is crying out for attention." :cop:
Mildenhall England
Gretna La
Greenville, RI
Jacksonville FL
TV
Old 11-28-2007, 01:17 AM
Sage

This is off topic (sorry :cop, but I have to mention it. I was driving my golf cart today from Starbucks (by Wal-Mart), along Wedgewood Drive. I turned north on the golf cart path toward the tunnel under CR101 which leads to Southern Trace. Oncoming cart drivers were yelling at someone behind me "back up, back up". I looked in the mirror and a CAR was following me on the golf cart path. Sure hope the car didn't try to make it through the tunnel!! :dontknow: Guess my point is that drivers in TV sometimes do some very unexpected things, please drive carefully!
Old 11-28-2007, 01:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We too have seen an automobile coming down a tunnel, WHOA, pretty scary.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:33 AM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot at last
This is off topic (sorry :cop, but I have to mention it. I was driving my golf cart today from Starbucks (by Wal-Mart), along Wedgewood Drive. I turned north on the golf cart path toward the tunnel under CR101 which leads to Southern Trace. Oncoming cart drivers were yelling at someone behind me "back up, back up". I looked in the mirror and a CAR was following me on the golf cart path. Sure hope the car didn't try to make it through the tunnel!! :dontknow: Guess my point is that drivers in TV sometimes do some very unexpected things, please drive carefully!
Seen this too at the tunnel under 466 near CR101 several times. Once it looked like a group of teens on a lark, but the others times it seemed like a senior just bent on taking yet another route.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:16 AM
Sage

http://www.speedtrap.org/speedtraps/stetlist.asp
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 03-22-2008, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Speed traps or entrapments or what ever they are affectionately called....bring em on the more the merrier...the stealthier the better....the more they trap the better.

There is no acceptable justification....excuse....rationalizing....or what ever to condone or allow it.

A proven fact....speed kills....it is the cause of over 80% of all accidents.

Speed traps are also a good way to supplement the needed revenue VS raising taxes....and in this case the ones that pay....deserve to since they know full well the consequences.....and do it anyway!!!!

Nail em Dano!!!!

BTK :cop:
Old 03-22-2008, 01:27 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid
Speed traps or entrapments or what ever they are affectionately called....bring em on the more the merrier...the stealthier the better....the more they trap the better.

There is no acceptable justification....excuse....rationalizing....or what ever to condone or allow it.

A proven fact....speed kills....it is the cause of over 80% of all accidents.

Speed traps are also a good way to supplement the needed revenue VS raising taxes....and in this case the ones that pay....deserve to since they know full well the consequences.....and do it anyway!!!!

Nail em Dano!!!!

BTK :cop:
Seem to remember the Tarpon Springs, FL police getting really creative with their attempts to enforce the speeding laws. They also seemed to go after people who really deserved tickets which happens. Many such people can be found driving on US 19 or at least they could the last times I have been on that very dangerous stretch of road.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.