Standard time or DST: which do you prefer to be permenant?

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2022, 06:05 AM

I’m a real early bird who’s usually out of bed between 5 and 5:30 AM, ready to go. I prefer it to get light earlier so if I need to I can get outside early before too much heat and humidity hampers my outside chores.
Old 03-17-2022, 06:08 AM

Standard time like the rest of the World
Old 03-17-2022, 06:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipatti View Post
I’m a real early bird who’s usually out of bed between 5 and 5:30 AM, ready to go. I prefer it to get light earlier so if I need to I can get outside early before too much heat and humidity hampers my outside chores.
I thought about that aspect too but.....doesn't the heat come when the sun comes up? It really doesn't matter what time an individual goes outside to do yard work just to beat the heat; not unless there is an appointment to attend. For us who are retired, what does it matter what time we go outside to weed the flowerbeds?

During DST, I just go outside an hour later at first light to beat the heat. That works for me. Gives me a bit more time in the morning to have breakfast before working on the property.
Old 03-17-2022, 06:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave951 View Post
Standard time like the rest of the World
Not really. Until I just looked this up on Wiki, I had no idea if the rest of the world observed DST. Looking at the information in Wiki, I have hightened admiration for airlines who must adjust their schedules for departure and arrival times. Yikes.......

Daylight saving time by country - Wikipedia
Old 03-17-2022, 06:43 AM
Send a message via ICQ to gemini5001 Send a message via AIM to gemini5001

Move to Alaska if you want darkness.
Old 03-17-2022, 07:16 AM
Veteran member

It really doesn't matter for me......but I do think that adjusting the clocks is a bit dumb.
BECAUSE...... Beginning on December 22 of each year, the sun rises one minute earlier each day and sets on minute later each day. This continues until June 21st when the sun will rise and set one minute later each day.
So no matter what time it is, there will always be a total of three hours difference for sunrise and sunset over the course of each year.
Old 03-17-2022, 08:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
As an adult, I have never been a fan of the "spring forward" and "fall back" ritual and have always wished for one or the other. I never really gave it much thought regarding the ramifications of either; just pick one!

Call me a creature of the night, but I have always loved it when it was dark early, especially in the winter. The feeling of being home in a warm house after school in the darkness was comforting to me. I grew up in New York so I recall it being dark at 4:30 PM and watching American Bandstand after school when it was dark outside.

I am sort of programmed to want that earlier darkness even now as an adult. I guess, I am leaning towards remaining on standard time permanently. After reading an article about what it would be like on DST permanently, I know for sure that I do not want the sun to rise at 4:30 am in the wintertime.

After reading about this time change debate, there is so much more to the equation regarding health, fuel consumption and all sort of other things that I have never pondered. My only concern is if it will be dark or light at a certain time of day.

How do you feel about this and what would you rather have permanently set into law, standard time or daylight saving time? I would love to hear your thoughts on this.
Standard time
Old 03-17-2022, 08:22 AM
Default Dst

Quote:
As an adult, I have never been a fan of the "spring forward" and "fall back" ritual and have always wished for one or the other. I never really gave it much thought regarding the ramifications of either; just pick one!

Call me a creature of the night, but I have always loved it when it was dark early, especially in the winter. The feeling of being home in a warm house after school in the darkness was comforting to me. I grew up in New York so I recall it being dark at 4:30 PM and watching American Bandstand after school when it was dark outside.

I am sort of programmed to want that earlier darkness even now as an adult. I guess, I am leaning towards remaining on standard time permanently. After reading an article about what it would be like on DST permanently, I know for sure that I do not want the sun to rise at 4:30 am in the wintertime.

After reading about this time change debate, there is so much more to the equation regarding health, fuel consumption and all sort of other things that I have never pondered. My only concern is if it will be dark or light at a certain time of day.

How do you feel about this and what would you rather have permanently set into law, standard time or daylight saving time? I would love to hear your thoughts on this.
Arizona doesn't change for dst, so should they not vote in Congress on this subject?
Old 03-17-2022, 08:41 AM

I also say split the difference, and if that doesn't work for the New World Order, too bad. It's time we think of what's best for America.
Old 03-17-2022, 08:45 AM

Give me DST. My psyche is so-o-o much better when I have more light during my waking hours!
Old 03-17-2022, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUCdaze View Post
I also say split the difference, and if that doesn't work for the New World Order, too bad. It's time we think of what's best for America.
That ship sailed in early 60’s.
Old 03-17-2022, 08:58 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I say split the difference. Adjust it by a half hour and leave it.
I spent years in a country that had nonstandard time, that is 30 minutes off time, not an even hour off from any other time zone. This is a horrible idea. Just look at the country that does it.

Do you really want to follow Afghanistan's example on how to determine time??
Old 03-17-2022, 09:03 AM
Default Time change

COMPROMISE Change time by 1/2 hour
Old 03-17-2022, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUCdaze View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdschramm View Post
COMPROMISE Change time by 1/2 hour
And be off by 30 minutes from pretty much EVERY other country in the world?

-Tom Petty
Old 03-17-2022, 09:54 AM
Default Prefer Standard Time

Quote:

Jumping ahead an hour in Spring has always been disruptive to my system, and gets more so every year. The Fall-back not so much. I'd prefer year-round Standard time, but anything is better than switching back and forth. I don't get the "saving", as what is saved at one end of the day is given up at the other end.
Closed Thread

Tags
time, dark, permanently, standard, sort

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.