Storage for Christmas Decorations

Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2020, 07:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts
Default Storage for Christmas Decorations

This trip brought some Christmas decorations. Can’t bring down our 2000sf basement. So looking for your experience.

Our 9’ tree can go to the garage, with no problem. The concern is our Department 56. The fluctuation in garage temp could do damage.

We do have a large closet in master, putting them on top shelves is good for a few years, but down the road climbing up that 8’ ladder will no longer be easy. Plus they are heavy, once multiple are in a box. Thinking of a small climate control storage.

Our collection spans 44 years. Parents started the collection, and as each moved out their favorite pieces, have traveled, and added on.

Our granddaughter just moved to her first apartment, her favorite pieces from great grandparents, in tow. So really don’t need advice just get rid of them.

So looking for those who have safely or bad experience of storage. Thanks in advance
Old 12-30-2020, 09:14 AM
Veteran member

We have used Fort Knox Self Storage on Rolling Acres for several years. We have a climate controlled storage unit and have never had an issue with our items in storage.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:33 AM
Veteran member

I have stored all my Christmas decorations in the garage attic for 10 years, including our tree and have never had any issues except climbing up and down the garage stairs
Old 12-30-2020, 12:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
The concern is our Department 56.
What is "Department 56"?

kathy
Old 12-30-2020, 01:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
What is "Department 56"?

kathy
Google is your friend.

Department 56: Official Site for Christmas Villages, Snowbabies & More
Official Site
Old 12-30-2020, 02:49 PM
Veteran member
Default Snowbabies

Quote:
This trip brought some Christmas decorations. Can’t bring down our 2000sf basement. So looking for your experience.

Our 9’ tree can go to the garage, with no problem. The concern is our Department 56. The fluctuation in garage temp could do damage.

We do have a large closet in master, putting them on top shelves is good for a few years, but down the road climbing up that 8’ ladder will no longer be easy. Plus they are heavy, once multiple are in a box. Thinking of a small climate control storage.

Our collection spans 44 years. Parents started the collection, and as each moved out their favorite pieces, have traveled, and added on.

Our granddaughter just moved to her first apartment, her favorite pieces from great grandparents, in tow. So really don’t need advice just get rid of them.

So looking for those who have safely or bad experience of storage. Thanks in advance
My wife has 44 Snowbabies of various sizes and ages, and we have kept them in our garage here the last 8 years. No problems at all.
Old 12-30-2020, 04:25 PM
Default Dept 56 storage

Quote:

We have two big heavy duty plastic trunks, big enough to be coffins, that contain 30 Dept 56 buildings and all their cords and bulbs. We have stored them in the back of our garage for the last 5 years without incident.
Old 12-30-2020, 04:59 PM
Platinum member

I would prefer not to store in the garage or attic because of the heat. Rent a climate controlled storage spot, as a previous poster suggested. I use Ft Knox Storage

The heat may not harm some things, but I wouldn’t want to experiment with something so special.
Old 12-31-2020, 06:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
What is "Department 56"?

kathy
Official Site

I have the original 7 houses of the Dept. 56 Dickens' Village. I also have the train station and the Child Pond with the accessory pieces. When my Mom passed away, I, being her eldest child, received those original pieces and the pieces I just mentioned. The rest of her collection was given to my three sisters and a couple pieces to her niece.

As for storage, here in Florida, I have had no problem at all storing all my Dept. 56 collectibles in the attic or the garage. In fact, I stored theses collectibles in the attic for a few years when we lived in South Florida. In The Villages, my village pieces have been stored in custom cabinetry in the garage. All of my Dept. 56 pieces look brand new with no evidence of damage. I never even considered using a climate controlled facility to store these porcelain pieces.

The only items I will not store in the garage or attic in Florida are candles. Everything else......no problem.
Old 12-31-2020, 06:47 AM
Default Enjoy every day

I decided to just leave mine out all year long and put them over my kitchen cabinets. Of course, I don’t get to use all of the little people and trees and stuff, but I get to enjoy the houses. There is an electrical outlet above the cabinets and a switch on the dining room wall that controls it, so I can turn them on whenever I want. I designed the layout and had wood cut by Home Depot to fit between the tops of the cabinet pieces so the houses would be the right heights and fit properly.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	9ECF8F0B-670A-49B8-9ADC-5E25FC71FFF8.jpg
Views:	3168
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	87536   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	7A54D268-78A7-4EB9-BBCC-F354F7423027.jpg
Views:	3036
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	87537  

Last edited by racedaygal; 12-31-2020 at 06:58 AM.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:47 AM
Veteran member

Storage in garage attic, nothing in cardboard for sure. Most accidents in TV is pickleball, torn tendon and slips on garage attic drop down stairs. Maybe it's time to talk with the grandchildren to see who wants some of the Dept. 56 pieces, early gifting. Will save packing and storing and the enjoyment you had all these years can start with them now. Just a thought.......
Old 12-31-2020, 07:54 AM

Very pretty. What a good idea.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:01 AM

I use a climate-controlled storage unit nearby. The attic was too hot for my decorations and other items that needed to be stored.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:15 AM

Porcelain house with a Christmas theme along with accessories to make up towns and villages.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:30 AM
Default Our pre-lit xmas tree didn't work this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Official Site

I have the original 7 houses of the Dept. 56 Dickens' Village. I also have the train station and the Child Pond with the accessory pieces. When my Mom passed away, I, being her eldest child, received those original pieces and the pieces I just mentioned. The rest of her collection was given to my three sisters and a couple pieces to her niece.

As for storage, here in Florida, I have had no problem at all storing all my Dept. 56 collectibles in the attic or the garage. In fact, I stored theses collectibles in the attic for a few years when we lived in South Florida. In The Villages, my village pieces have been stored in custom cabinetry in the garage. All of my Dept. 56 pieces look brand new with no evidence of damage. I never even considered using a climate controlled facility to store these porcelain pieces.

The only items I will not store in the garage or attic in Florida are candles. Everything else......no problem.
I also have the original 7 houses of the Dept. 56 Dickens' Village. A very special wedding gift received 32 years ago. We store them in a linen closet inside the house. I worried about the electrical cords. Having no basis for this worry ... just prioritized the villages for the limited space we have indoors.

We stored our pre-lit tree in the garage attic. The lights worked when we put it up, but every day one section went out, until it was no longer "pre-lit". It's probably 10 years old. Not sure if it was the heat and humidity or the age.

Hope this is helpful.
Closed Thread

Tags
storage, garage, pieces, moved, years

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.