Storage for Christmas Decorations

Closed Thread
Old 12-31-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
This trip brought some Christmas decorations. Can’t bring down our 2000sf basement. So looking for your experience.

Our 9’ tree can go to the garage, with no problem. The concern is our Department 56. The fluctuation in garage temp could do damage.

We do have a large closet in master, putting them on top shelves is good for a few years, but down the road climbing up that 8’ ladder will no longer be easy. Plus they are heavy, once multiple are in a box. Thinking of a small climate control storage.

Our collection spans 44 years. Parents started the collection, and as each moved out their favorite pieces, have traveled, and added on.

Our granddaughter just moved to her first apartment, her favorite pieces from great grandparents, in tow. So really don’t need advice just get rid of them.

So looking for those who have safely or bad experience of storage. Thanks in advance
We use Extra Space Storage in Lady Lake on route 466. I too have a huge collection of Dept.56. Most of my collection is on display year round in a special glass cabinet (36 X 84) made especially for Dept56. The train and other larger items are stored as well as Christmas tree etc in our storage unit. Extra Space is a very clean multi story building with elevators and little flatbed carts you can use. I have no problem going there without my hubby. Would post a picture but don’t know how. Looks too complicated.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:44 AM
Gold member

We use the closet in the Guest bedroom and store all our Christmas decorations packed in stackable plastic bins. Outside lighting and misc decorations stay in the garage. Try not to use cardboard if left outside or in attic storage, bugs love cardboard. Plastic storage bins at Lowes are usually pretty cheap right after the first on the year. BTW, we store photos the same way.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 12-31-2020, 08:52 AM

I too have kept my decoration in the Attic without a problem. This year, my husband was unable to help due to an injury. It’s was very difficult trying to get the storage containers out of the attic on those pull down stairs. I realize that no way will I be able to put them back up there. I’ve ordered an outside shed to house them. The decorations are in plastic, water tight containers. Being outdoors, the climate is no better or worse than the attic. Going to try it this year, see how it goes. I do live in a courtyard villa, so having a shed is not a problem!
Old 12-31-2020, 10:47 AM
Default Storage

All I can suggest is PLEASE do not rely on friends to store your items of any kind. You may never get them back! Keep all your precise possessions within reach!
Old 12-31-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
This trip brought some Christmas decorations. Can’t bring down our 2000sf basement. So looking for your experience.

Our 9’ tree can go to the garage, with no problem. The concern is our Department 56. The fluctuation in garage temp could do damage.

We do have a large closet in master, putting them on top shelves is good for a few years, but down the road climbing up that 8’ ladder will no longer be easy. Plus they are heavy, once multiple are in a box. Thinking of a small climate control storage.

Our collection spans 44 years. Parents started the collection, and as each moved out their favorite pieces, have traveled, and added on.

Our granddaughter just moved to her first apartment, her favorite pieces from great grandparents, in tow. So really don’t need advice just get rid of them.

So looking for those who have safely or bad experience of storage. Thanks in advance
SELF STORAGE - or eliminate the excess
Old 12-31-2020, 11:28 AM

Now is the perfect time to downsize those decorations.
Old 12-31-2020, 11:42 AM
Default Climate-Controlled Self Storage

Quote:

I strongly recommend using a climate-controlled self storage unit. There are many around the Villages. We use Southern Self Storage near Walmart on 466. Pick one that is convenient for you. You will find that you will be putting in other heat sensitive items in the unit also. The heat here in the summer can definitely do damage to items. You will not be sorry. It is worth the cost to protect your special items.
Old 12-31-2020, 01:29 PM

I had four large bits with original houses and accessories. Gave them to goodwill. Next will be the Hummels.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:09 PM

Can't tell you about storage in attic because we just bought house and are not moving down permanently for 2 more years. What I can tell you is, We have installed the majic stairs. No climbing up and down a ladder. Its actual stairs. A bit pricey, so I hope its worth it. Neighbors also have the lift. That is something we will also look into to. Just put all your boxes on the lift, send it up and meet it at the top from walking the stairs.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

If you need a ladder to reach the closet shelf how about the floor in the closet or one of the closets in the other bedrooms. We have plenty of space as most everything is still up north. Our bedroom closet still has all the extra tile and carpeting from when the house was built.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,050 Times in 2,740 Posts

This thread is very sad , just like the OP, we have many years of decorations with lots of sentimental value. Unfortunately, the value is only to us, no one else has the same memories and puts next to zero value on the stuff. Christmas decorations are probably the number one thing one can buy for next to nothing at estate sales. We are hoping our daughter will embrace all our Christmas decorations she grew up with, or else they are just going out with the trash. Downsizing can be painful, but also rewarding. Storage in the Villages is very difficult without a basement or attic. Oh well, the trials and tribulations of being old. At least it's better than the alternative : )
Old 01-03-2021, 12:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
This thread is very sad , just like the OP, we have many years of decorations with lots of sentimental value. Unfortunately, the value is only to us, no one else has the same memories and puts next to zero value on the stuff. Christmas decorations are probably the number one thing one can buy for next to nothing at estate sales. We are hoping our daughter will embrace all our Christmas decorations she grew up with, or else they are just going out with the trash. Downsizing can be painful, but also rewarding. Storage in the Villages is very difficult without a basement or attic. Oh well, the trials and tribulations of being old. At least it's better than the alternative : )
We were thankful that our youngest son took a lot of our outside decoration this year. Our daughter and grandson will take care of the rest of the outdoor stuff. As for inside we have cut way back on what we get out of the attic as I can only make one or two trips up there.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:21 AM
John41

We store a lot of decorations under the bed in plastic storage boxes, on a custom closet unit in the master bedroom and in the attic.
Closed Thread

Tags
storage, garage, pieces, moved, years

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.