This was a story on FB

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2018, 07:51 PM
Sage
Default This was a story on FB

‎Fran Jewell‎ to National Association of Dog Obedience Instructors, Inc. (NADOI)
October 16 at 2:16 PM
My recent article in the newspaper I work for, The Weekly Sun in Sun Valley, Idaho:

FAKE SERVICE DOGS
By Fran Jewell, IAABC CDBC and NADOI Certified Obedience and Tracking Instructor #1096
AKC Farm Dog Judge, CGC Evaluator

Right now, I have a lovely black German Shepherd guide dog that I trained for a blind woman 4 years ago. She is back to me to help her stop barking at other dogs. Why does she bark at other dogs? She was attacked by a pit bull in a grocery store about a year ago and now her blind owner can’t use her anymore. This isn’t a comment about pit bulls, it’s a tragic tale of how a fake service dog can destroy another, fully trained service dog in a flash of a second.
Each dog was standing in two separate grocery store checkout lines, the pit bull lunged at Onyx (the dog I am working with) and pinned her to the ground while her blind owner stood stunned and not knowing how to cope.
If this other dog had been screened carefully, and trained properly, there would have been no issues between it and the dog I am working with. I can say with utmost confidence that this dog was a pet someone put a vest on and pranced around as a service dog so they could take it into the grocery store on a hot Reno day. A fully trained dog with proper service dog temperament would never have acted in such a manner.
The guide skills Onyx has are remarkable. I took her out of my van for our first training together in 4 years. I said, “Left,” and she immediately turned left away from the van and then stopped at the street behind the van. She looked both ways, and then guided me across the street through a double row of parked cars. Then she stopped me at another street, going the opposite direction. She looked both ways and proceeded across that street through more parked cars to the curb where she indicated the curb to step up on so I wouldn’t trip. Her skills are astonishing and accurate. Anyone could walk behind her with their eyes blindfolded.
Onyx guided me through the Ketchum Farmer’s Market, never taking me too close to any table. She didn’t sniff the food, or look for food on the ground, even when I had her stop. She walked around kids, coolers on the ground, people standing while guiding me safely.
Then a sweet little mix breed on a leash appeared and Onyx barked and shook uncontrollably. I tried to refocus her with no luck. Eventually, she calmed down and was able to pass 3 other dogs without incident, but I was careful not to take her too close to them. She could see them, however.
Yesterday, we went into PetSmart. At the first dog, Onyx barked and tried to jump on me desperately asking me for help and to remove her. I didn’t ask her to guide anymore, gave her lots of praise for focusing on me and ignoring the other dogs. We left as quickly as I could. The staff noticed how nervous Onyx was and came to talk to me. I told them what had happened to her and they were so lovely by asking a few of the other dog owners to wait for us to leave the store instead of walking by.
The work to get Onyx through this fear will be enormous and frankly I am not sure I can change her mind about other dogs while she is in harness working. She gets along fine with my dogs when not working.
I wanted to share this story with everyone, especially those that think faking a service dog harms no one. It is devastating to someone whose dog has been through 300 to 400 hours of training and relies on his or her service dog for life-saving independence. For Onyx’ owner, it may be a huge financial and emotional loss. Shame on anyone who thinks faking their pet or poorly trained dog as a service dog hurts no one.
Copyright Fran Jewell, October 2018
Old 10-18-2018, 08:38 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Maybe they should find a way to regulate the sale of service vests. People are getting carried away with fake service dogs and companion animals. Too bad they ruined a wonderful dog.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

I take it the pit bull "service dog" attacked Onyx in a Reno grocery store?

Too bad that we have so many people who game the system for just their own benefit while not taking others into account.

I hope that the blind woman in Reno managed to get another guide dog?
Old 10-18-2018, 10:40 PM
Gold member

What a shame that a true service dog was harmed in this way as well as the companion this dog provided a service for. I personally think it is disgusting that many people claim their little Fido is a service dog when in fact that owner just won’t the family pet at home. Those that violate the purpose of a true service dog ought to be ashamed of themselves.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:19 AM
fw102807

How about the woman who tried to pass off her squirrel as a service animal. I am just appalled at what people will stoop to.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
How about the woman who tried to pass off her squirrel as a service animal. I am just appalled at what people will stoop to.
I so agree. I don't mind dogs anywhere because I enjoy them and they always make me smile, but it isn't right to "use" the system for selfishness.

There are some people who do not like dogs and who are really afraid of them and they don't want to be around them. I try to understand that.

I am afraid of pit bulls. I think that genetically they are not as trustworthy in certain situations and cannot be trained to abandon their engineered behavior. I think that they should not be owned by people with little ones. I don't like feeling this way but I do. It seems wrong to not like all dogs. In fact I wonder about people who don't like dogs in general.

But having a squirrel for a support animal is just...…………………………………...s quirrel-y.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:12 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am afraid of pit bulls. I think that genetically they are not as trustworthy in certain situations and cannot be trained to abandon their engineered behavior. I think that they should not be owned by people with little ones. I don't like feeling this way but I do. It seems wrong to not like all dogs.
I couldn't agree with you more. We may be wrong but I too would never allow a child on my watch to be near a Pit. I've read too many stories of the damage inflicted by them. It seems it is never a Collie or German Shepherd or any other breed but always Pit Bulls that inflict life-threatening damage.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member

My nephew had a pit bull who was absolutely the sweetest,most gentle dog ever. They also had a baby who grew up with the dog and the child and dog had an amazing bond. That being said, they still frighten me.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:53 PM

I just saw where they are considering mini horses as service animals. A sad situation with the fake service dog.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
My nephew had a pit bull who was absolutely the sweetest,most gentle dog ever. They also had a baby who grew up with the dog and the child and dog had an amazing bond. That being said, they still frighten me.
My nephews and nieces have had very nice pit bull mixes but I do have a friend whose pit bull mix got a little too aggressive and was kicked out of one of the Villages' area dog parks. Think it depends a lot on the relationship the dog has to its owners.

The dog park owners do keep a keen eye on any pit bull mixes that come to the dog park though. There are some very sweet pit bull mixes at the dog park I go to.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:46 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsco View Post
I just saw where they are considering mini horses as service animals. A sad situation with the fake service dog.
The mini horses are therapy animals. When my dad was in hospice they used to bring them to his room and he really enjoyed them.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
The mini horses are therapy animals. When my dad was in hospice they used to bring them to his room and he really enjoyed them.
They are cute.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:51 AM

Love pits. Detest bad owners.
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, service, onyx, dogs, trained

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.