Student, 11, Hit By Car And Killed In School Walkou

Closed Thread
Old 04-23-2018, 07:18 AM
fw102807
Default Student, 11, Hit By Car And Killed In School Walkou

This is exactly what I was afraid would happen.

Student, 11, Hit By Car And Killed In School Walkout
Old 04-23-2018, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
This is exactly what I was afraid would happen.

Student, 11, Hit By Car And Killed In School Walkout
Oh dear heavens.

It is my opinion that the adults are using kids to make a political statement that the adults understand and believe in. The kids are just scared of not being safe and in my opinion, marching isn't ever going to change things. Adults who care will "harden the target" as Carl from Tampa says. We cannot change society, which is safer than it used to be according to the experts.

I am really depressed today.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Marching will change things. And often has been very successful to get attention to a cause which then builds the issue. Studying a little US history shows that.

Have great pride in what these kids are doing and they actually have to live each week day during the year with the possibility that they might encounter gun violence.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:11 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Marching will change things. And often has been very successful to get attention to a cause which then builds the issue. Studying a little US history shows that.

Have great pride in what these kids are doing and they actually have to live each week day during the year with the possibility that they might encounter gun violence.
The kids should be in school and the adults are the ones who should be out there marching. What does an 11 year old know about the system? Instead the kids are out there like pawns and the adults are still arguing about whether an AR15 is an assault weapon or not.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:14 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
The kids should be in school and the adults are the ones who should be out there marching. What does an 11 year old know about the system? Instead the kids are out there like pawns and the adults are still arguing about whether an AR15 is an assault weapon or not.

Well stated!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-23-2018, 09:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Since it is children being killed, why shouldn't they have the right to try and do something about it...through peaceful means?

I think an 11 year old is pretty aware of what being 'killed in the classroom' is all about...and doesn't have to be 'manipulated' to voice their fear of it.

It's sad though, that this one left the relative safety of the allotted area...and was killed by a car.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Since it is children being killed, why shouldn't they have the right to try and do something about it...through peaceful means?

I think an 11 year old is pretty aware of what being 'killed in the classroom,' is all about...and doesn't have to be 'manipulated' to voice their fear of it.

It's sad though, that this one left the relative safety of the allotted area...and was killed by a car.
The above, shaded, I agree with.

However there are adults, opportunists, that have seized on this very valid fear to further their own political statement. If these children organized this all by themselves, I would be very much surprised. Most kids, certainly not our Villager grandchildren, are not sophisticated enough, experienced enough, aware enough to have negotiated this spotlight business all by themselves. They are encouraged, guided and coerced by their teachers and parents.

Marching and rallying to me is a huge waste of time. And using children to add people to marches is exploiting them.

I don't think high school kids are dumb and I certainly can see they are afraid. But they will not change society, nor will they make the immoral, moral by a public outcry. Only good parents can guide kids to do the right thing. These discussions should be happening at home and I am sure they ARE happening at home and the kids are arguing and debating and forming their opinions and some of them are wrong. You agree with the marchers. I agree with the ones who are thinking, thinking, thinking and have good people to emulate.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:16 AM
Sage

Some people think that "marching and rallying is a huge waste of time."

Those that have done it for Civil Rights, Women's Rights, Etc., Etc....would wholly disagree.

Then again, some people think it is much more dangerous now than it was in the past...and that previous generations are vastly superior to current ones.

Go figure.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Some people think that "marching and rallying is a huge waste of time."

Those that have done it for Civil Rights, Women's Rights, Etc., Etc....would wholly disagree.

Then again, some people think it is much more dangerous now...than it was in the past.

Go figure.
It is more dangerous now than it was in the past. More people ARE being murdered and raped and robbed. Thousands and thousands and thousands more. We have more people, that is true, and more people are being harmed. Maybe not more people as a percentage, but more people overall.

Maybe we should be paying attention to the backgrounds of people who enter this country? Maybe we should enforce the rules on the books about immigration? Maybe we need more law abiding people to come join us.

Marching didn't aid the woman's movement. Strong women changed things. Marching didn't help civil rights. Ethical people changed the laws to make things fair. Many rallies and marches have burnt and damaged areas and caused people to become angry and discouraged toward whole groups of people. Moving your arms and legs and carrying incendiary signs does nothing but make some people mad as hell and makes others feel virtuous.

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-23-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:55 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The above, shaded, I agree with.

However there are adults, opportunists, that have seized on this very valid fear to further their own political statement. If these children organized this all by themselves, I would be very much surprised. Most kids, certainly not our Villager grandchildren, are not sophisticated enough, experienced enough, aware enough to have negotiated this spotlight business all by themselves. They are encouraged, guided and coerced by their teachers and parents.

Marching and rallying to me is a huge waste of time. And using children to add people to marches is exploiting them.

I don't think high school kids are dumb and I certainly can see they are afraid. But they will not change society, nor will they make the immoral, moral by a public outcry. Only good parents can guide kids to do the right thing. These discussions should be happening at home and I am sure they ARE happening at home and the kids are arguing and debating and forming their opinions and some of them are wrong. You agree with the marchers. I agree with the ones who are thinking, thinking, thinking and have good people to emulate.

Very well said!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-23-2018, 11:14 AM
Platinum member

I respectfully disagree that marching and protesting are a waste of time. an example of positive change from such actions:

On April 22,1970, 20 million Americans took to the streets, parks, and auditoriums to demonstrate for a healthy, sustainable environment in massive coast-to-coast rallies. Thousands of colleges and universities organized protests against the deterioration of the environment. Groups that had been fighting against oil spills, polluting factories and power plants, raw sewage, toxic dumps, pesticides, freeways, the loss of wilderness, and the extinction of wildlife suddenly realized they shared common values.

Earth Day 1970 achieved a rare political alignment, enlisting support from Republicans and Democrats, rich and poor, city slickers and farmers, tycoons and labor leaders. By the end of that year, the first Earth Day had led to the creation of the United States Environmental Protection Agency and the passage of the Clean Air, Clean Water, and Endangered Species Acts. “It was a gamble,” Gaylord (wisconsin senator) recalled, “but it worked.”

I believe walks,etc. let people know there are other people who feel as they do and it lessens discouragement with the status quo. The early civil rights marches where marchers had dogs attack them and water cannons, brought an awareness to many who didn't experience that in their lives.

and I do not believe the Parkland students are pawns of anyone. They might be getting help from teachers and adults, but they are the ones leading this, they are intelligent, articulate victims of a mass shooting who want to bring about change.

the problem with living in a "bubble" is that it keeps ideas and different opinions out.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
I respectfully disagree that marching and protesting are a waste of time. an example of positive change from such actions:

On April 22,1970, 20 million Americans took to the streets, parks, and auditoriums to demonstrate for a healthy, sustainable environment in massive coast-to-coast rallies. Thousands of colleges and universities organized protests against the deterioration of the environment. Groups that had been fighting against oil spills, polluting factories and power plants, raw sewage, toxic dumps, pesticides, freeways, the loss of wilderness, and the extinction of wildlife suddenly realized they shared common values.

Earth Day 1970 achieved a rare political alignment, enlisting support from Republicans and Democrats, rich and poor, city slickers and farmers, tycoons and labor leaders. By the end of that year, the first Earth Day had led to the creation of the United States Environmental Protection Agency and the passage of the Clean Air, Clean Water, and Endangered Species Acts. “It was a gamble,” Gaylord (wisconsin senator) recalled, “but it worked.”

I believe walks,etc. let people know there are other people who feel as they do and it lessens discouragement with the status quo. The early civil rights marches where marchers had dogs attack them and water cannons, brought an awareness to many who didn't experience that in their lives.

and I do not believe the Parkland students are pawns of anyone. They might be getting help from teachers and adults, but they are the ones leading this, they are intelligent, articulate victims of a mass shooting who want to bring about change.

the problem with living in a "bubble" is that it keeps ideas and different opinions out.
My opinion is different than yours. I may live here but I stick my head frequently outside the bubble. I talk frequently with a line producer at MSNBC. At least once a week. I read the following;

New York Times
The Washington Post
The Guardian
Vox
APWire
I watch
Fox News
MSNBC
CNN
ALL THREE of them.

I try to avoid any publication that is borderline. Whether it be Breitbart or Mother Jones etc.

I may live here but I am up to date and I try to see both sides. I consider myself a moderate. (That is a person that no one agrees with.)
Old 04-23-2018, 11:26 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Marches do make a difference. Civil protest can and does make a huge difference. Our history has shown what protests can accomplish (from peaceful to violent) — the Boston Tea Party, Carrie Nation and Prohibition, Vietnam War protests, Women Rights marches in the the sixties and seventies and today, and so on and so forth. It was the Civil Right marches that brought some injustices to the forefront of many Americans long before violent protests and rioting started. The kids today have already made a difference — there have been some new gun laws passed and, hopefully, more will occur in the future.

That this boy was killed is a tragedy. Had he followed the rules and stayed in the designated areas rather than sneaking off to play, his family, friends and school would not be in mourning.

As to the kids being manipulated, I don’t think so. They have a right to be fearful. They have a right to be angry. Just sitting at their desks and bemoaning their fates has gotten them nowhere but shot at. Adults have spoken up in the past but nothing was accomplished. Parkland kids spoke and started a movement that is getting things accomplished. So, my chant is, “Go, kids, go! Get it done. We failed. Show us how to do it right.”

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-23-2018, 11:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Marches do make a difference. Civil protest can and does make a huge difference. Our history has shown what protests can accomplish (from peaceful to violent) — the Boston Tea Party, Carrie Nation and Prohibition, Vietnam War protests, Women Rights marches in the the sixties and seventies and today, and so on and so forth. It was the Civil Right marches that brought some injustices to the forefront of many Americans long before violent protests and rioting started. The kids today have already made a difference — there have been some new gun laws passed and, hopefully, more will occur in the future.

That this boy was killed is a tragedy. Had he followed the rules and stayed in the designated areas rather than sneaking off to play, his family, friends and school would not be in mourning.

As to the kids being manipulated, I don’t think so. They have a right to be fearful. They have a right to be angry. Just sitting at their desks and bemoaning their fates has gotten them nowhere but shot at. Adults have spoken up in the past but nothing was accomplished. Parkland kids spoke and started a movement that is getting things accomplished.

So, my chant is, “Go, kids, go! Get it done. We failed. Show us how to do it right.”

Old 04-23-2018, 11:45 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,327 Times in 1,442 Posts

There are too many marches protesting too many things that happen in today's society, I don't pay attention to them anymore and I think most people feel the same way. We as kids had to worry about things that today's kids do not, The cold war and atomic bombs, bomb shelters being built, being drafted as soon as we were out of school, polio, etc. All of this stuff was scary too. There were really no military style assault rifles around but there were plenty of fully automatic hand held "burp" guns as well as semi-automatic handguns and rifles out there also on a percentage basis probably just as many crazy people as there are today willing to commit mass murders, and whatever did happen wasn't plastered all over the Internet and cable stations, a lot of us didn't have televisions to get current news from so we were unaware of what was happening in the big cities across the country. Wait until some kid brings in poison food or drinks to pass around, it will eventually happen as not all crazy people can get their hands on a gun but they have ways to find out how to poison, what will be protested then? The answer is not gun control.
Closed Thread

Tags
afraid, happen, walkou, hit, car

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.