Summerglen Golf Course

Closed Thread
Old 01-05-2021, 07:26 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Summerglen Golf Course

Wonder if anyone has played there recently? Conditions?
Old 01-05-2021, 10:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post
Wonder if anyone has played there recently? Conditions?
Played there last Saturday; the layout was really good; the conditions - not so good; fungus on the greens, lots of bare patches in the fairways and approaches to the greens.

The only good thing that came out of the day was the food at Turnpike Mike's, located there at the course.

Will we go back to play? Probably not. To eat at Turnpike Mike's? Probably.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Is this outside The Villages and if so do people regularly leave to play golf off the reservation?
Old 01-06-2021, 06:48 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

Yes, it is outside of the villages. A lot of people play outside the bubble during the winter when the rates are high. Lots of good courses within an hours drive .
Old 01-06-2021, 09:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

It's sometimes referred to as Del Webb South, with the north being the one near Market of Marion both on 441. I played Summerglen one time, I remember it was 2012 because it was a fellow on my softball team, and I only played with him that year.

We had coupon from the newspaper, two green fees and two steak dinners for $39, I thought you can't beat that. I believe it was St. Augustine grass there, which is deep and spongy and don't see that much. We had it at the course I grew up playing in St. Petersburg in the 60's. The rough can be thick and gnarly if they let it grow. The course was decent shape and it's first time I played off campus. However, I never went back.

I have since played World Woods in Brooksville twice and Ocala Golden Hills twice, and I found both places much harder, more sand, more pine trees. The Lake Miona Course that is now closed in Wildwood, was the worse course I've ever played. It was 18 holes built where only 12 holes should have been. One par 3 the entrance road went between the tee and green, so someone had to make sure no car was coming. I remember it was only $22 and when I was done, I thought they should pay me. They give you a small bucket of balls but the driving range only went to 165 yards. What I couldn't believe was on one fairway the whole length was lined with designer homes backyards from Pennecamp with very little separation from TV. I had heard two years ago a Villager had bought that course and was going to fix it up and reopen, have not heard anying since.
Old 01-06-2021, 02:07 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
It's sometimes referred to as Del Webb South, with the north being the one near Market of Marion both on 441. I played Summerglen one time, I remember it was 2012 because it was a fellow on my softball team, and I only played with him that year.

We had coupon from the newspaper, two green fees and two steak dinners for $39, I thought you can't beat that. I believe it was St. Augustine grass there, which is deep and spongy and don't see that much. We had it at the course I grew up playing in St. Petersburg in the 60's. The rough can be thick and gnarly if they let it grow. The course was decent shape and it's first time I played off campus. However, I never went back.

I have since played World Woods in Brooksville twice and Ocala Golden Hills twice, and I found both places much harder, more sand, more pine trees. The Lake Miona Course that is now closed in Wildwood, was the worse course I've ever played. It was 18 holes built where only 12 holes should have been. One par 3 the entrance road went between the tee and green, so someone had to make sure no car was coming. I remember it was only $22 and when I was done, I thought they should pay me. They give you a small bucket of balls but the driving range only went to 165 yards. What I couldn't believe was on one fairway the whole length was lined with designer homes backyards from Pennecamp with very little separation from TV. I had heard two years ago a Villager had bought that course and was going to fix it up and reopen, have not heard anying since.

Isn't Golden Ocala a private course?
Old 01-06-2021, 02:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk7951 View Post
2 different courses. Golden Hills & Golden Ocala. Golden Ocala is private with a beautiful course and an amazing club house with excellent food.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
Is this outside The Villages and if so do people regularly leave to play golf off the reservation?
We go outside the yellow lines about twice a year so we can appreciate more of what we have here.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk7951 View Post
You're right, it was Golden Hills/Ocala National directly across the street. It's a little confusing with the names, I just remembered it was on the northside of US 27. Four us went and we had coupon out of the newspaper, four golfers with carts $100.

Google Maps
Old 01-06-2021, 11:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:

St Augustine is the grass I have as a lawn so I know it well.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

In most cases, you get what you pay for. There is a place for a golf course that offers less than ideal conditions for a low price. Sometimes you just need to get out and hit some shots without paying a high price or dealing with slow crowds. Lake Miona was that kind of course. More interesting than standing on a driving range and hitting to a stick out on a flat field. If you're looking for that type of course today, I can suggest Shady Brook Golf & RV on 301. Horrible conditions but a very interesting and challenging front 9. And very inexpensive.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
...I can suggest Shady Brook Golf & RV on 301. Horrible conditions but a very interesting and challenging front 9. And very inexpensive.
I just looked that up on the map, I had gone to Sumterville a couple of times. First time I even heard of that course, with the new Villages being so close I would of thought someone would of mentioned that course by now.

Another that is even closer and advertised in the Sports Section today was the Lakes at Lady Lake off CR 25. By the map it's touching TV on the east side of the historic section. According to their ad it's $28 before 1:00 and $23 after. The layout is only a par 63.

Lakes of Lady Lake Golf

Google Maps

Another executive style 18 hole course but considered one of the most well maintained and beautiful in the area is Baseline Golf Course in Belleview, it's a par 64. Greenfees are $38 with a cart for 18 holes.

Baseline Golf Course, Driving Range, Ocala Florida

Google Maps

The Villages Florida
Old 01-14-2021, 03:20 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

I used to enjoy playing The Links at Spruce Creek South but the last time I played there, two years ago, the conditions were terrible.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
I used to enjoy playing The Links at Spruce Creek South but the last time I played there, two years ago, the conditions were terrible.
We play there a lot. It is in much better shape than a year ago. Greens are a bit slow but in very nice shape.

Rollie
Closed Thread

Tags
summerglen, golf, played, recently, conditions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.