Sunshine Law? We don't need no stinking Sunshine Law!

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2021, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,028 Times in 5,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donassaid View Post
As a former County Supervisor in Virginia, we had a similar rule but not nearly as strict. With 5 Board Members, the only thing forbidden was if we had a quorum when we met, meaning that any two of us could get together and discuss issues without a public hearing. I think that is a more reasonable position than our "Sunshine laws" that, apparently forbid any personal contact between Commissioners to discuss issues before the Board. However, if that is the law, our Commissioners should abide by it and not try to circumnavigate it. I just wonder if the previous Commissioners got away with private meetings between themselves and/or the Developer.
I would be surprised if the former commissioners did not have private meetings with the Developer. But of course that was not in the article.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:06 AM

What is the sunshine law? Attempting to control the sunshine in florida??? Animal advocacy??
Old 02-20-2021, 11:14 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

You don't make all kinds of promises to be the second coming of Jesus and then start screwing up right out of the starting gate doing the same things you accused your predecessor of doing. Isn't that called hypocrisy?
Old 02-20-2021, 11:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts

The amount of corruption, both petty and significant, in today's world is astounding, and this is my observation of penalties and actions against large individuals and companies. This is not a belief of never has been corruption, that is a black and white interpretation which is not my belief. I have seen it in foreign countries in my teens. . . It is my observation that its more blatant with social media, and there are less incarceration penalties after conviction. Especially with corporations where penalties are paid with company cash, which belongs to the shareholder, and trusted to management. Even egregious convictions seldom bar the person from the industry, but left up to the public to find the disreputable people in the public disclosures. .

ethical guy
Old 02-20-2021, 12:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,383 Times in 2,062 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebooo View Post
What is the sunshine law? Attempting to control the sunshine in florida??? Animal advocacy??
Assuming this is a serious question, Google is your friend:
Florida Attorney General page on Sunshine Law

Pro: FL Govt activity shall take place in meetings open to the public. If two members of a board meet and discuss an issue it is a meeting that must be open to the public. (Two members cannot discuss an issue outside of an official public meeting)

Issues/complexities:

- There is a question in the FAQ asking whether two members of the board can attend a social function or whether that would violate the law. If details like that need to be considered then perhaps the law is unworkable.

- "The law, in essence, is applicable to any gathering, whether formal or casual, of two or more members of the same board or commission to discuss some matter on which foreseeable action will be taken by the public board or commission." It seems it is illegal for a board member to run into another at the Brownwood square and ask, "what did you think about that presentation yesterday?" This would be a violation of the law since it would be considered a meeting where notice was not provided to the public.

- Avoiding a direct conversation by working through an intermediary would be a violation of the law.

- There is a 373 page Government-In-The-Sunshine Manual to make it easier to understand.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-20-2021, 01:16 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default The difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligas View Post
How are they any different than those they replaced?
In a nutshell, The three new commissioners that replaced the incumbents campaigned on a promise to overturn the 25% tax increase that the incumbent commissioners imposed on Sumter County residents.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:44 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
I would be surprised if the former commissioners did not have private meetings with the Developer. But of course that was not in the article.
The commissioners, current or former, can have individual meetings with anyone they want. They just can’t have the meetings as a group. In a few DS articles backs, it mentioned the The Villages Development reached out to meet with the individual commissioners. I seem to recall 4 of the 5 did.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebooo View Post
“Florida's Government in the Sunshine Law, passed in 1967, requires that all meetings of any state, county, or municipal board or commission be open to the public, and mandates that any official action taken at the closed meeting not be binding.”

Sounds good to me... can’t do deals in the dark... wink, wink....
Old 02-20-2021, 09:05 PM
Default Sunshine Law

The price of liberty is eternal vigilance,
Jefferson
Old 02-20-2021, 09:21 PM

The biggest problem with the increase in the impact Fee/Tax is that it will disproportionately affect industrial development and investment investment. It m ust be applied equally to.all builders in a county - not just the residential sector. They can move to.another county and take their property taxes with them. Then the property owners will have to pay.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

http://myfloridalegal.com/webfiles.n...hineManual.pdf

Maybe worth a look.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,038 Times in 2,732 Posts

The intent of the Sunshine Law, and similar laws called another name in other states, is generally twofold. First, to prevent public officials from being influenced by conflicts of interest. Second, to insure transparency, meaning that discussions about important issues effecting the general public are taking place in a public forum for all interested parties to have access to if they so choose. I agree with the OP that certain actions pointed out are not in line with the intent of the law. That being said, let’s not cherry pick violations of the intent of the law, but point out all apparent violations. The funding of incumbent commissioners running for re-election by certain parties who expect favorable rulings on their behalf is clearly a conflict of interest. Private meetings with high level representatives of parties hoping for favorable rulings by County Commissioners or Amenity Authority Committee members would be a prim example of violating public transparency. If one is going to call out Sunshine Law violations, be fair and equitable and call them all out.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:39 AM
Veteran member

If this is all you have to worry about in your life I'm really sorry. Come up with a big scandal please like how 50 million was spent last yearextra and collected from the taxes of hard-working citizens of and retirees of Sumter
Old 02-21-2021, 07:26 AM

Amen!!
Old 02-21-2021, 07:33 AM

When did the Sumter County Administrator wake up and discover a Sunshine Law violation? Where was he for the previous 4-5 years? Total collusion with the Developer - yet no Sunshine violations cited? Give me a break! Stop stepping on the people who represent the people. We too, have had enough.
Closed Thread

Tags
law, sunshine, violation, group, campaign

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.