SUVs Not To Buy. Vehicles With The Worst Depreciation.

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2021, 11:35 AM
Default SUVs Not To Buy. Vehicles With The Worst Depreciation.

This should be interesting...

We bought a new SUV 4 years. It's little used with low mileage. Got great reviews and is a blast to drive. Exceptional vehicle.

We recently also purchased a used 2019 larger SUV for general use. It's my honey.

Ok, prior to this last purchase we did a lot of research and watched a pile of entertaining youtube videos. Some of them were quite surprising. Such as, I've owned 3 BMWs in the past but i would never buy another one now. Horrible depreciation and very bad reliability. Things have changed over time. You dad's trusty family (blank) is now a lemon. That sporty car is a money pit. Augh... the pain.

Now if your jus putting around in TV and you don't mind depreciation it might not an issue. Otherwise it's buyer beware and be prepared with costly repairs.

I won't get into other vehicles that were noted as it becomes somewhat controversial, but facts are facts. And I see these bad boys all around in TV.

As John Adam's famously stated, "Facts are stubborn things."

Yeah, I know, you think all youtube stuff is baloney. But I don't see these guys selling anything here... except some preemptive vehicle ads.

Watch them before you decide.

Worst SUVs to buy
SUVs only stupid people buy
Vehicles with the worst depreciation

You get the idea. I'm just the messenger here. Not selling anything. Be forewarned.

Don't believe these guys? Then do your own research. I did.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:45 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

My BMW X5 xDrive 50i does 0 to 60 in 4.4 seconds, rides and handles just as I like. I love it and do not care one whit about how it depreciates. Before the BMW I had a Porsche Cayenne S which rode a little hard for my tastes. Prior to buying the BMW I test drove both Lexus RX and Toyota Highlander vehicles which would of course have been better "investments" via less depreciation, more reliable and far less expensive to buy and operate but their performance was, well, blah...

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-16-2021, 12:36 PM

My wife's 2016 Ford Escape blows the doors off my step son's 2020 BMW X series. But so what?

Meaning it's whatever gives you satisfaction.

Last edited by bobdeb; 04-16-2021 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:06 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

Except for a few cases cars. are a terrible investment and anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves!

(NOTE THE "FEW CASES")
Old 04-16-2021, 01:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdeb View Post
My wife's 2016 Ford Escape blows the doors off my step son's 2020 BMW X series. But so what?

Meaning it's whatever gives you satisfaction.
Yes, and what one's needs are. My brother drives all over Arizona racking up 20,000+ miles per year. He went with the Lexus RX 450h which suits his needs.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 04-16-2021 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
Except for a few cases cars. are a terrible investment and anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves!

(NOTE THE "FEW CASES")

Absolutely correct. However, some are far worse investments than others.

I haven't always made the best choices of vehicles in my life (Remembering my red '65 MGB for driving up north, and my Ex wanted an AMC Pacer. They're both gone now...) but I'm more sensible now, and arguably more boring... lol

I'd probably want that MGB back now though...
Old 04-16-2021, 01:49 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

We bought a Mercedes GLA AMG 4 years ago - new. A 'compact' Crossover SUV. Runs perfect and has only 27K miles. Like the car we traded in (2010 Prius) - this will be our 'last new car'.

I love to research autos and interested in Battery Electric Vehicles. Followed the 2021 Mustang Mach-E thru development. Was just released a couple months ago - will compete with Tesla. Very impressive vehicle, and I would definitely consider getting one, but the 'angel on my shoulder' whispers... "that's stupid!".

Our MB is wonderful and fits our needs and lifestyle perfectly fine. To go NEW again, with the sales tax, dealers fees, depreciation all over again would be STUPID. And with our daily driving, EVs would not have an impact at all.

That 'devil on the shoulder' better stay quiet...
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20200109_104448~2.jpg
Views:	5027
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	89109   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	download (28).jpg
Views:	5166
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	89110  
Old 04-16-2021, 02:50 PM

I read somewhere recently about a guy who routinely had his Tundra serviced at a dealer and when he hit one million miles on it they gave him a new Tundra. They kept the old one for marketing purposes. Very smart.

I've had three Ford F150s. Loved them all and drove them up and down the east coast but never had that kind of mileage. Still like the Fords.

I'm sorry but GM, Chevys and Dodges are not what they used to be. I'm not making that up. Do your homework.

Buy a Toyota Tunda or a Ford F150.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:21 PM
Platinum member

I bet depreciation in The Villages is HIGH based upon miles driven! Have 2 cars and driven them less than 5K miles(both cars) after moving here 6 months ago.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,077 Times in 2,744 Posts

Stick with Honda, Nissan, and Toyota. Nothing else will hold it's value as well as any of those make SUV's.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I buy what I like and have no interest hat the dollar value is at any given time.
And when I am in the buy mode, what it will be worth 'X' years down the road has never entered the equation.

As with so many issues...to each his/her own.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:41 PM

A sales person's dream.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I buy what I like and have no interest hat the dollar value is at any given time.
And when I am in the buy mode, what it will be worth 'X' years down the road has never entered the equation.

As with so many issues...to each his/her own.
Oh, price and depreciation mattered greatly to me throughout most of my life. I bought and sold many older cars during high school and college and made money on every one of them including a 1955 XK 140 . When I started my professional working life after college I had a rule: buy used, 2 -3 years old, low mileage, pay cash and no more than 15% of my gross salary. That worked well and helped me live well below my means and invest. My favorite car ever was purchased under these terms, $2,000 for a car with a $6,000+ sticker price (if I remember correctly). It was a very, very low mileage 1967 Camaro RS/SS convertible with the L-78 375 HP 396, solid lifters, four bolt main bearings, a huge Holley, 4-speed, 4:10 positraction rear end. Should have kept it but I moved to Rochester, NY where the salt on the roads rusted it out. What a terrible loss! (In 1967, a Camaro RS/SS convertible with a 396 engine paced the Indianapolis 500.)

After a few years I moved up to new cars. The best new car buy was a '79 L82 Corvette which I kept seven years and sold for only $600 less than I paid for it new. Having a family at one point meant a 1983 GMC diesel conversion van upon which we put a zillion miles. It ended up in Alaska. I suppose I have enjoyed most of my vehicles over the years. To many folks their vehicle is just transportation from point A to point B but to some of us enjoying the journey in a vehicle we love driving matters and we are willing to pay the price.

Last edited by manaboutown; 04-16-2021 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Oh, price and depreciation mattered greatly to me throughout most of my life. I bought and sold many older cars during high school and college and made money on every one of them including a 1955 XK 140 . When I started my professional working life after college I had a rule: buy used, 2 -3 years old, low mileage, pay cash and no more than 15% of my gross salary. That worked well and helped me live well below my means and invest. My favorite car ever was purchased under these terms, $2,000 for a car with a $6,000+ sticker price (if I remember correctly). It was a very, very low mileage 1967 Camaro RS/SS convertible with the L-78 375 HP 396, solid lifters, four bolt main bearings, a huge Holley, 4-speed, 4:10 positraction rear end. Should have kept it but I moved to Rochester, NY where the salt on the roads rusted it out.
Omg, what a sweet ride...
Old 04-17-2021, 06:12 AM
Veteran member

Especially the new of the showroom models, OK if you keep it ten years if you trade any more often costs a lot. But some aren’t concerned of the amount of money lost on the vehicle. Best hot rod SUV in my opinion is turbo Ford Explorer.
Closed Thread

Tags
buy, depreciation, suvs, facts, worst

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.