tank less gas hot water heater

Closed Thread
Old 11-18-2020, 07:27 AM

I have heard that the gas powered ones are fine and that the electric powered ones are a problem.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:38 AM

We had Rinnai tankless unit installed yesterday by Allen Curry Plumbing. 48 month term 26.99 per month out of our gas bill or $1,295.00. We felt it was worth it - our unit was 14 years old and we had just put in a new Nova water filter and softener. This purchase was part of a Teco partner Gas advantage offer.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:44 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

My parents had one in the home I just sold. They never liked it, slow to get hot water, cost. It would take forever to pay for itself. Now have a gas hot water heater and we never run out of hot water.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:45 AM

Had one in Virginia Beach and loved it for instant hot water
Old 11-18-2020, 08:00 AM

Lowes carries a hot water tank recirculator for under $200 that you plumb in above your hot water heater. Works great and provides near instant hot water throughout the house. Has a built in timer that can be set for peak times of usage. Highly recommend.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:34 AM

OK. Just for grins. Every time I hear someone talk about a “hot water heater,” it reminds of what I heard a comedian say once when I was much younger. You don’t need to heat the hot water because it is already hot. 😃
Old 11-18-2020, 08:41 AM

We had them in our old house and they worked great and you get off that big tank. Be sure you get enough of them to cover all the areas that you would need hot water. Let me know please, how is goes putting them here, because we are thinking of putting them in our house here. Thank you, I hope all works out well.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOG View Post
Going need a new gas hot water heater soon. Please give me your opinion on a tankless model if you have one.
Thanks
I had our water heater replaced a couple of years ago. At that time the gas company was offering a program that they would install a new water heater and hauled away the old one for a charge of $9.99 per month added to your bill for 60 months. So $599.40 and no additional charges. You may want to contact them to see if that program still exists.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:47 AM

Does TECO's price include labor?
Old 11-18-2020, 09:09 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOG View Post
Going need a new gas hot water heater soon. Please give me your opinion on a tankless model if you have one.
Thanks
Tankless heaters sound like a great idea, and for a long time I wanted one. But I’ve read a number of articles about installing them and about the pros and cons of having them over the past few years in Fine Homebuilding and in The Journal of Light Construction. Plenty of people think they are great. However, installing one properly is a LOT of work, very complicated, and it’s also of course expensive. Also, it ends up not saving nearly as much money as people expect or are told to expect. Don’t trust the advertising! In fair side-by-side reviews, these contractors are saying that in general, if you are moving from one system to another instead of new construction, it’s better to have a tank. However, if you need to replace your hot water heater soon and you’d like to save money, get a tank with the highest energy rating you can afford. Some of that is extra insulation, so the gas isn’t needed as often. Thus very little of the heat is lost. A system without a pilot light also saves money.

If you look at the chart below, the right hand column is price over 13 years. Even if the tankless heater saves you $120 a year over the cost for your regular gas heater, that is only $10 a month you save. That’s not all that impressive.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	DCE9903A-A434-4461-98E0-ABC53E9E3D87.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	86985   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	01D4E22A-13E4-4456-ACCC-5BB566BFF156.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	86986  

Last edited by MandoMan; 11-18-2020 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:14 AM

have had one for 5 yrs and it is really the best investment you can make. Your not heating 40 gallons of water (lotsa of energy wasted) and you get hot water in the same time as your old system. water is FRESHER HOT really a good choice
Old 11-18-2020, 09:39 AM

A plumber who came to my house (via TECO) about a month ago told me that for two people, we would not get enough energy savings to warrant the high price of the tankless system. Also, the recirculation pump, which will get the hot water to the far reaches of the home much faster, costs $500 for a tank system and $1,000 for a tankless system.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:10 AM
Default Tankless Heater

It used to be you had to flow a certain amount of water through the unit in order for it to turn on. So if you wanted to just run a slight stream for rinsing something ,you couldn't w/o going all out.Do the ones T.V. is installing require that and how do you reset the unit or error code? Where do they mount the control panel?
Old 11-18-2020, 10:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

I’ve had tankless water heaters in two houses up north and two here in The Villages over the last 20 years. The heaters today are far superior than those years ago. I can’t recommend them highly enough.

Things to know or consider:

— They are more expensive than tank heaters. But when you consider they last as much as twice as long, the cost evens out.

— Have the heater installed by an authorized plumber/dealer who also services the product. Down here I think I’d buy from Lowe’s or Home Depot for the confidence that they back up what they sell. Having said that. I did have one installed here in TV by Curry Plumbing. They also did the necessary “de-scaling” required about every five years. I never had any malfunction that required repairs or parts.

— Unless you can get a gas-powered tankless I’m not sure that the electric units heat the water quite as quickly (instantaneous with gas).

— You will have to have some plumbing and probably a new vent/chimney installed for the tankless.

— Make sure you size the tankless you buy thoughtfully. A “middle size” unit will permit you to take simultaneous showers and do the laundry at the same time.

— If your home has a water heater in the garage, a tankless doesn’t necessarily have to be there. Tankless heaters are quite small and can be hung on a wall inside the house.

— This thread mixes the issue of hot water distribution with the heating of water. If you have a delay in getting heated water at a faucet a long way from your water heater, it will be the same whether you have a tank or tankless water heater. The decision to purchase an additional device to assure immediate hot water at faucets a long way from the water heater is an altogether different purchase decision than buying the device which actually heats the water.

In summary, I would never buy a tank-style water heater again.

Last edited by Villages Kahuna; 11-19-2020 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Don’t live in the state of Florida but here a tankless water heater is about $300. cheaper but both have there advantage’s & disadvantage’s. I found out both takes the same amount of time to get hot water to our Master bathroom. Personally I don’t see an advantage in switching from one to the other because of the labor price involved.
Closed Thread

Tags
gas, hot, water, heater, tank

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.