Tattoos in general

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Default Tattoos in general

Setting aside the "welfare" part of a different thread...I am curious of people's opinion of tattoos. Surprisingly, lots of folks that are of retirement age (50+) seem to be getting tattoos for the first time. I know that many men have them that were in Vietnam, Korea, or WW2..but now there are more and more women who have them also.
Just wondering what the tattoo is, if you have one. Why you got that particular tattoo...and maybe IF you had a tattoo, what would it be?

I don't have any tattoos but 2 out of my 3 children do. My son and youngest daughter both have them. Son has Indian Chief on upper arm..have no clue why..and my daughter has a couple on her lower back that she got in college. She is 30 now and the mom of 2 little girls and says she wishes she wouldn't have gotten the tatts.

Like I said...just curious!
Old 02-23-2011, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I am sort of old fashioned about a very few things and skin piercing and tattooing are two of them.

They would just look better on other people.

If I had one it would be smarta**.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:58 AM

I agree that tatoos are coming back for some reason. As you stated, several of the WWII, Korean War, and a few VN veterans came back with them. However, it's only been the past few years that tatoos were "in style". Also, both women and men now have them. I would think that in a few years that most of these people will regret getting their tatoos.
However, the above comments are from a 60+ year old man, and probably the "kids" (under 40) will disagree with me. If so, that's fine since I'm sure that we did things that our elders did not agree with when we were young. That's life.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:00 AM

HMMMM..smarta**! I hadn't thought of that! I could see myself with that one....in Black and Gold, of course!
Old 02-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Veteran member
Default worst tattoo I have seen

A couple of years ago, I was at a pro baseball game (Bowie Baysox) and saw a young lady probably around 22 years old. Very nice looking blonde and in a pair of cutoff jeans. She had a tattoo on the back of her thigh that was really tacky.

The tattoo was probably 12 inches in length. It was the Tazmanian Devil (Warner Bros. cartoon) with a butcher knife in his hand and holding the severed head (still dripping blood) of Bugs Bunny in the other hand. Oh yes, these were in colors, too.

First of all, it was a gruesome tattoo and you have to wonder what kind of alcohol or drugs she was on at the time of the tattooing. Secondly, to wear such short pants for it to be visible was some kind of lack of moral fiber, and thirdly - what will that tattoo look like in 40 years - and how to explain it to the other people around the swimming pool in the retirement community?
Old 02-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Veteran member

I met some folks in the islands who call it body art. I draw the line when it goes from cute to 90% of the body. Me? If I had ever tattoed my girlfiend's name there would be so many X-outs unless I only dated women called Kitten...LOL

Really a cute little harmless insignia I say who cares. Not for me cos I hater needles!
Old 02-23-2011, 02:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Even though my father had a homemade tattoo of his name on his forearm, I don't like tattoos and never will. I really had to think hard about getting my ears pierced when I was in my 20's, too. Don't know why really, it just seems like a desecration of your body.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Sound investment advice?

Find a company that specializes in tattoo removal. Buy now. I bet there will be a run on tattoo removals in the not too distant future.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:00 PM
Veteran member

I have mixed feelings about tattoos. I know a number of people (male and female) that have one or two tattoos and I actually like them. Yet, at the same time my beautiful niece has a quote from Twilight across her back that annoys me to no end. I also can not understand why anyone would voluntarily allow themselves to be stabbed with needles and risk the chance of hepatitis and/ or infection.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony View Post
Sound investment advice?

Find a company that specializes in tattoo removal. Buy now. I bet there will be a run on tattoo removals in the not too distant future.
Tony: I so agree with you. I also think those large earrings that distend the earlobe are going to be a boon to plastic surgeons in the future.

OTOH, I got a tattoo many years ago because it was cool and I was the only hippie chick with one. Also, we had to be very very friendly before you got to see it. It was considered by many close friends to be "smokin'".

I was going to get one to celebrate my 65th but so many older chicks are getting them that it's not cool any more.

I also had chihuahuas before they were cool, but that's another story.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:12 PM

I met this young sweet girl years ago and when she removed her bra she had a tattoo on her left breast it said OK, so I got all worked up, then she slapped my face real hard!

Saw the same lady 62 years later, I asked her about the tattoo she had, low and behold it now says OKLAHOMA!
Old 02-26-2011, 05:23 PM

Disgusting, why would someone want to do that to their body, looks especially bad on women., and with age they look even worse.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Veteran member

How about the ones that have them on both sides and in the front of the neck. Can't even cover them up fully with a high turtleneck.

The dimes, pennies, nickles and even quarters in the earlobes are utterly sick. What are there people thinking of?
Old 02-26-2011, 10:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

We were in Sam's Club a few weeks ago and the person that checks the cart on the way out was a young woman -- maybe 20 or younger. Her whole calf was covered with a giant tattoo of a face that looked familiar to me. Turns out it was a tattoo of John Lennon of the Beatles. She said that The Beatles and John Lennon are her dad's favorites and that's how she also came to love his music.

I'm talking GIANT tattoo. It was like this one, but not in color. Now, what kind of job/position is she ever going to get with this huge disfigurement on her leg?
The Villages Florida
Old 02-27-2011, 12:18 AM
Sage

Angelina Jolie is considered by some people to be the most beautiful woman in the world, tatts and all. I think it's a generational thing.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.