Tattoos and welfare

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2011, 06:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Tattoos and welfare

last news report showed a line of welfare recipients and a majority of them had tattoos.....I'm confused, aren't these tattoos expensive????
Old 02-23-2011, 06:59 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
last news report showed a line of welfare recipients and a majority of them had tattoos.....I'm confused, aren't these tattoos expensive????
Most of them have Blackberry's too.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,503 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
This issue is very hard for me to absorb without becoming judgmental.

Yes, I have heard that some tattoos cost $200 or more. I do not know, I have never priced them. My wrinkles are enough adornment for my gorgeous skin.

Some of the tattooed are smoking cigarettes that are six dollars a pack.

Six times thirty=$180.

Shall we assume that some gracious aunt gave them the money for a tattoo for their birthday? Shall we think that the smoking is an addiction over which they have no control?

Will someone point out to me that I don't understand the real issue?

I am not sure how to react without being ugly.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:13 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am not sure how to react without being ugly.
Be ugly, Gracie. You're so cute when you get mad. It makes for a good read.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hannon View Post
Be ugly, Gracie. You're so cute when you get mad. It makes for a good read.
Boy Howdy! (Sorry Gracie...haven't heard you say that in a long time!)
Old 02-23-2011, 07:47 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

I've seen several suggestions (not all tongue-in-cheek) to require welfare recipients to take a urine test before being allowed to pick up their welfare money. Sounds like a plan to me. How many honest, hardworking people have to pass that same test to pick up the paycheck they EARNED? Why not require those that didn't earn the money to at least take the same test? Wonder what that would do to the tattoo line? Wonder how many times we would see people with two cell phones, a pager, and an ipod using food stamps at Walmart.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:49 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I'm so anti-tattoo it's scary. I truly find them repugnant and am so very grateful my daughter is as anti-pain as I am anti-tattoo, otherwise there would be some serious battles between us and tats.

That being said, I refuse to judge someone in line for help. Yes, some are frauds and cheats and don't need help. Some did have money at one time or maybe on just occasion and got the tats, the decent car, the things that make it seem they do not need the money or help before they got so close to bottom. I know of one woman who would drive to Welfare to get her check in a one-year old Lexus. She bought it before her husband was injured and could not work. The best she could do for employment was Burger King. They had little saved, so slid downhill very, very quickly. Until the car was repossessed, it was the home for them and their two children.

And, yes, smoking is expensive. It may be their only luxury. It may be the only way to stand the humiliation of begging for help (ciggies do calm). It is also very, very addictive and they may not be able to quit. They may make a pack last a week. You never know.

Many who live below the poverty really have no idea how to budget. They do extravagant things when they have some money because they can't seem to understand that that money needs to last until the next funds come in. Plus, I don't care how poor you are, how beaten down you are, your psyche needs an occasional luxury. So, while I may not approve of tats, I can see the need to get one, especially if you have nothing else.

The point is, it is easy to judge, especially when you see these people looking like they are young, healthy, perfectly capable of working. They have things that just don't seem right for someone taking charity. BUT you don't know the facts. You don't know if there's mental illness that prevents someone from working. You don't know about the child with cerebral palsy and no medical insurance at home. You don't know that that couple was reasonably well off 3 years ago, but the job market destroyed their life. You just don't know.

As to the cheaters, I truly believe there is a special hell waiting for them. One which they deserve.

Now, talk to me about the doctors making millions by defrauding Medicare and Medicaid. This is a serious hot button to me.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-23-2011, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,503 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Um...Red.

She could have sold that Lexus. or...if she had been FRUGAL like many people who have worked hard to get enough money to buy a Lexus, but don't, if she had saved her money for a rainy day...

What about all those doctors who work 16 hour days and make a lot of money without defrauding people?

This is gonna end up in political.

I think that our welfare system needs to be overhauled big time.

This is...bottom line, a matter of value judgments.

I love your sweet liberal soul, Red.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:36 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

What gets me is when I am standing in line at the check-out, and I see someone paying with a WIC and it is all name brand stuff, pre-packaged meals, junk food, great cuts of meat. I mean ok, I understand helping out when down, no problem, BUT it should be limited to generic store brand and basic food staples.

Army Guy
Old 02-23-2011, 08:53 AM
Talking Not that I have first hand knowledge . . .

however, tatts are free in prison. If they are all black and smudgy, yep, that's where they got it.

It bothers me as well to be judgemental, but while I work full-time and try to cut every corner I can, no blackberry, don't smoke, hardly drink, no drugs, never on public assistance, take public transportation, no HDTV even, I find it very difficult to sympathize. Of course, I am not one to think or was raised thinking that everything is owed to me.

I am proud to say I thank God every day for my blessings.

Visited The Villages in Oct., '09
Working on making it permanent.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Tats

Sure didn't mean for it to come across judgemental....Really was inquiring as to how much those tattoos cost! I had no idea that they cost $200, Yipsters!
Old 02-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Default You didn't mean it to be

Quote:
Sure didn't mean for it to come across judgemental....Really was inquiring as to how much those tattoos cost! I had no idea that they cost $200, Yipsters!
judgmental? Sure you did. You and others here obviously think that anyone on assistance has to lead a very spartan existence and should have to account for everything they do.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts
Default Don't let your vision of someone in line for a handout

be clouded by your concept of one who needs or cannot afford what is being handed out.

There is always a percentage of those who have the ability and knowledge to work the entitlement programs.

We have all heard the story of the person who uses food stamps to buy groceries while also buying cigarettes and beer and getting into their Caddilacs and going to their $400,000 house!!!!!

Happens every day.

And tats are by no means a measure of ones ability to pay or social status. Quite the contrary (anymore!!).

btk
Old 02-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza
Default Accountability

I have no problem with the needy receiving assistance where truly needed. However, when government takes the role of that which should be done by private charities and people are being helped with the dollars we worked hard to aquire, and with there being a substantional number of individuals who have no scruples that would take advantage of the system, I certainly want there to be accountability. Accountability to clamp down on abuse, accountability to thwart fraud and any other negative issues as much as possible. Without accountability, in both private charity and government programs, we are losing funds that could go to help even more needy people. Without that accountability are also condoning the existance, propogation and future of this ever growing problem.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I agree there should be accountability, but I also believe that even those in need deserve some treats and, yes, even a luxury once in awhile. That person in the Caddy and the $400,000 home may be just as much in need as the person in the $350 apartment driving the clunker. (The one with the hosue and car probably wouldn't qualify unless on a disability since there is a limit as to how much of value can be owned.) The majority who qualify for food stamps, Medicaid, welfare truly need what they are getting. Many are only getting assistance for a short period and then either move up in the world or go further down (homeless qualify for little). They are pretty well-screened. That doesn't mean some don't fall through the cracks because they do. There are those who know exactly how to work the system to get everything possible and be entitled to none of it. Fortunately, they are in the minority.

Of course, being a liberal, I'd rather that a cheat get what isn't deserved rather than deprive one who truly needs. I don't like the idea of the cheat getting services, but I really would hate to think of a child going hungry when we could help that family because we want to make sure the cheat doesn't get anything.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.