Tax Cut Has Arrived

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2018, 10:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
I just checked and my pension check from one of those nasty corporations I worked for most of my life went up about 142 dollars ! I live in FL, not one of those high taxed states up north so that is quite a raise for me !
Just consider it a few million crumbs.

Congratulations
Old 02-03-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
Wrong, more people hired because of lower corporate rate, higher wages due to competition for help, more jobs because companies are repatriating their money from overseas all translate into more tax revenue for the government, not less.
Wrong - experts are giving that a huge question mark - Tax cuts in 1981 and the early 2000s widened deficits. With the new cuts the Treasury will be burning through cash reserves faster than usual. A shortfall of $136 billion is expected due to the tax cuts this year alone. Conservative estimates are that the federal deficit will increase by $2 trillion in the first 10 years. Very few economists are saying the revenue loss would be fully offset with revenue growth. The people spouting this magical thinking are politicians.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Only if nothing else changes.
Coming up soon on the block.....cuts to Social Security & Medicare......that should balance the budget.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8notes View Post
Wrong - experts are giving that a huge question mark - Tax cuts in 1981 and the early 2000s widened deficits. With the new cuts the Treasury will be burning through cash reserves faster than usual. A shortfall of $136 billion is expected due to the tax cuts this year alone. Conservative estimates are that the federal deficit will increase by $2 trillion in the first 10 years. Very few economists are saying the revenue loss would be fully offset with revenue growth. The people spouting this magical thinking are politicians.
To me, this post seems more political than based in sound economic principles. U.S.Corporations paying less taxes puts them on equal footing with other world businesses in competition with them, allows them to make more money and disperse more money and hire more workers. A rising tide lifts all ships.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:25 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts
Default National debt

Quote:
We all love the raise. The problem is, its coming at the expense of the national debt.
The National Debt is only an issue in the heat of a National election. Afterwards, it is no longer an issue.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:37 AM
Sage

Lol
Old 02-03-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
To me, this post seems more political than based in sound economic principles. U.S.Corporations paying less taxes puts them on equal footing with other world businesses in competition with them, allows them to make more money and disperse more money and hire more workers. A rising tide lifts all ships.
Sound economic principles are based are arithmetic, not feel good platitudes. Most economists are saying the dollars and cents do not add up - for every dollar in cuts, economy activity would have to produce $5 to pay for itself, and that is highly unlikely to occur. The Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget supports tax reform but has observed that tax cuts in 1981 and the early 2000s increased deficits. History does not support this latest attempt.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Sound economic principles are based are arithmetic, not feel good platitudes. Most economists are saying the dollars and cents do not add up - for every dollar in cuts, economy activity would have to produce $5 to pay for itself, and that is highly unlikely to occur. The Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget supports tax reform but has observed that tax cuts in 1981 and the early 2000s increased deficits. History does not support this latest attempt.
Lol
Old 02-03-2018, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
The bill should have come with assurances that the tax savings of corporations would truly go toward expansion/wage hikes...as was promised and predicted.

So far, only a small percentage have given bonuses or raised wages with the vast majority of companies saying that they are looking at increasing cash reserves and/or stock buy-backs.

Which certainly helps those of us who have substantial stock holdings, either individually or through 401K's/Roth's/Etc., but has a fatal flaw...as 50% of Americans do not own any stocks.

Simple common sense dictates that the only reason for a company to hire more workers or pay higher wages, is if unfilled demand is present (which if that were the case, they would do it regardless of whether there are additional incentives)...or that they can't hire the quality of workers they need.

Neither situation actually exists to justify that the vast majority of the tax cut benefits are going to those people/companies...who need it the least.

Only a small slice of corporate America has shared tax savings with workers so far - Jan. 2, 2018

Quote:
...only 18 companies in the S&P 500 have responded to the tax overhaul by raising wages, handing out bonuses or improving employee benefits.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
The bill should have come with assurances that the tax savings of corporations would truly go toward expansion/wage hikes...as was promised and predicted.

So far, only a small percentage have given bonuses or raised wages with the vast majority of companies saying that they are looking at increasing cash reserves and/or stock buy-backs.

Which certainly helps those of us who have substantial stock holdings, either individually or through 401K's/Roth's/Etc., but has a fatal flaw...as 50% of Americans do not own any stocks.

Simple common sense dictates that the only reason for a company to hire more workers or pay higher wages, is if unfilled demand is present (which if that were the case, they would do it regardless of whether there are additional incentives)...or that they can't hire the quality of workers they need.

Neither situation actually exists to justify that the vast majority of the tax cut benefits are going to those people/companies...who need it the least.

Only a small slice of corporate America has shared tax savings with workers so far - Jan. 2, 2018
Yep, and my problem has been that most of, if not all, of the deductions for corporations remain intact....while individuals lose so many....example.....nurses, etc used to be able to deduct cost of scrubs they need to work, along with many deductions for teachers. They go away, so please wait until you file 2018 taxes need April to make judgements on this.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:29 AM
Veteran member

Not to worry, the government gives with one hand and take it with the other. They give you a reduction in the taxes you pay and then raise the interest rates so inflation kicks in great move thanks again Washington
Old 02-03-2018, 10:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
Not to worry, the government gives with one hand and take it with the other. They give you a reduction in the taxes you pay and then raise the interest rates so inflation kicks in great move thanks again Washington
Yes.....I was surprised yesterday at the speed in which this was reflected in the market.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:02 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Even so, that still beats 10 trillion-plus in 8 years. At least it is because Americans are seeing benefits from it instead of watching the debt rise because we keep shipping money overseas, in the name of "helping" them, to countries who hate our guts.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 02-03-2018, 11:05 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Yes.....I was surprised yesterday at the speed in which this was reflected in the market.
Sorta reminds me of gas prices in reverse; leap up overnight, go down pennies at a time.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Closed Thread

Tags
pleased, $149, increase, february, arrived

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.