Tax Questions

Closed Thread
Old 02-14-2015, 09:07 AM
Platinum member
Default Tax Questions

I bet there are many of you out there with a thorough understanding of income tax filings (certainly more thorough than me.) How about a thread where we can ask our questions and get some free advice from those you you who know? Everyone please understand that any questions answered here are just neighborly advice and not intended to provide certifiable tax filing advice. Admin: if this is to dangerous then I'll understand if you boot this one off.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:09 AM
Platinum member

OK, I'll start. Hey, you knew I had a reason to start this thread, right?

If I live in Florida all year, but derive income from a government pension in Kentucky, do I have to pay Kentucky income tax?
Old 02-14-2015, 09:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post

If I live in Florida all year, but derive income from a government pension in Kentucky, do I have to pay Kentucky income tax?
My pension comes from another state and I don't pay state taxes in the state. You pay state taxes based on your W4 form. However, since there's no state taxes in Florida, they have no W4. If they are taking state taxes from your pension in Ky, you need to complete a W4 for Ky to have it stopped.

At least, that was my experience
Old 02-14-2015, 09:49 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
My pension comes from another state and I don't pay state taxes in the state. You pay state taxes based on your W4 form. However, since there's no state taxes in Florida, they have no W4. If they are taking state taxes from your pension in Ky, you need to complete a W4 for Ky to have it stopped.

Yep
Old 02-14-2015, 10:24 AM
Administrator

All suggestions are appreciated. If the demand is there then we could add a section. These discussions can be had currently but best under 'Non Villages discussions' forum today.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

State of Ohio retirees do not pay Ohio taxes if they live in another state.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:35 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post

Thanks y'all. That's what I thought but this is my first year down here so I wasn't sure. I'm not currently having any state withholding so I guess when I do my taxes (TAXACT) online I just delete the state form? Is that what you do or did?
Old 02-14-2015, 10:46 AM
Default State Income Tax

Quote:

for nineteen years I have been receiving a pension from a civil service job in California . The only State Tax I have paid is when I lived in Ohio for six months of the year. I had to pay tax to Ohio on 50% of the pension.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:50 AM

Does anyone know a CPA to recommend?

Thank you.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

As a refinement, if you moved to FL on March 31,and made your residence FL you would owe taxes in your former state for the first 3 months of the year and nothing after that. But since we are talking taxes there are exceptions. If you have a business, maybe a rental home, in your old state you will owe taxes on that income and have to file a non resident tax return.
As I recall Calif tried to tax the pensions of residences that moved out of the state but they lost the legal battle.
Be sure to file change of addresses with your state so at least they know you moved.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:09 PM
Location: Lima,OH;St.Paul,MN;Vallejo,CA;Pennsacola,FL;Fremont,OH,Naperville,IL,Sylvania,OH,Fernandina

This is my first year on Social Security. Do they send you a W-2, or 1099 ?
Old 02-14-2015, 03:53 PM
Gold member

Big O asked "This is my first year on Social Security. Do they send you a W-2, or 1099 ? "

Social Security will send you a "Form SSA-1099_Social Security Benefit Statement."

It's only one page has what you received what was paid to Medicare Part B (if your on medicare) .. then your total.

You should have received it by now.

Last edited by obxgal; 02-14-2015 at 03:56 PM. Reason: forgot quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:12 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big O View Post
This is my first year on Social Security. Do they send you a W-2, or 1099 ?
I didn't get one, but I went to The United States Social Security Administration, logged into my account, and found a page that shows all of my payment history for the year. Printed it out and used that.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:31 PM
Veteran member

A couple of additions to the "other state" question:

(1) If you haven't told your employer to stop withholding your old state income tax, you will have to file if you want to get the money back. File as non-resident and carefully point out that you are a resident of FL.

(2) Don't play games about where you live. Even if you live down here full time, if you still vote "back there", get homestead exemption on your former residence, or still have your driver's license "back there", you may get a whole lot of extra attention about where you really are a resident.

As we used to tell folks in the military, never ever muddy the waters over the question of residency. If you create confusion, you will probably get hit for lots of money.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Ok reading this has opened up questions? If I sold my home in my previous state, Got drivers license in the state I moved to, filed for homestead exemptions, does that let the state I moved from know I am no longer resident or do I have to do some formal letter/change of address telling them I've moved?

I thought once you set up residency in another state (brought house), got driver license in that state you became resident of that state. or do I need to send change of address the day I moved from my previous state letting them know I no longer live in that state which I had to pay state taxes to?

I've lived in several states and never sent them notice when I moved (other than when filed taxes at the end of the year), but in today's tax crazy world I don't know the tax codes in books that stacks 10 feet high.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.