Which teacher still stands out for you?

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2021, 05:37 AM

15 years of Catholic education here. Most nuns and priest were tough to very tough, but they had to be. Nuns in my grammar school had at least 50 children per class room. I didn't like the nuns then, but later in life I appreciated all they did to not only teach us well, but we learned respect and discipline. Back then, there was no A.D.D. If you didn't pay attention, and you failed even just one subject, you had to repeat the entire grade next year. No excuses, no private tutoring, no remedial learning. So, every nun was special and taught us very well. Thank you Sisters.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:44 AM

My music teacher from 7th grade. Mr Foulkes. Got us started with a small dance band in addition to music class. To this day I continue playing music. Spent 16 years as a military band musician and have played more "gigs" than I can count. Music has been a big part of my entire life! Thank you Mr. Foulkes
Old 08-03-2021, 07:21 AM

My high school science teacher. Betty ?. Kept inviting me over to her house for tutoring I did not need. She said I was gifted and should be shown advanced lessons to prepare me for college. Occasionally she would invite me over for some payed garden work etc. Held my hand a few times telling me how special I was. Even though I was already "active", I never figured out what was really going on until four years later after graduation when I was skiing on the lake she lived on and she came at me directly. Wow, would have been great back then. Stupid me, swing and a miss. I did very well in science.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:12 AM

Mrs. Diehl, who was my high school Accounting teacher and advisor. She advocated for me and greatly influenced my career path. Forty years later she was a surprise guest at my retirement party.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:23 AM

Mr. Ludick, advanced math. He would only teach to the two or three brightest students. If I or others ask a question he would glance at us and keep lecturing the two or three speaking faster. I would then lay my head on my desk and sleep until the period ending bell woke me up. Twenty-five years later my best friend and I walked into the bar at a bowling alley the week of our 25th reunion and there was Mr. Ludick sitting at the bar with another of our teachers. My friend said “You remember Tom, don’t you?” And Mr. Ludick said “Sure. He’s the one who slept in my class.” Priceless.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
I thought I'd start a thread that we could have some fun with....

I was lucky in that I had a few elementary teachers that also taught me something about life.

I recall my sixth grade math teacher, who was well over six feet saying "Class you're not listening to me, so I'm going to come down and speak with you at your level." Then he smiled and actually sat in the waste basket so that he was eye level with us...we all laughed, but his sense of humor grabbed our attention and we listened to him after that. Much later in life I learned that all communication actually occurs in the mind of the listener, and the importance of speaking in a manner that you will be heard....so, thank you Mr. Tobin for the early lesson on that.

I had a few teachers that ruled the classroom with an iron fist and looking back a few were just going through the motions year after year waiting to retire...but my 7th grade English Lit teacher still stands out the most among them all....She was perhaps 5' 2", auburn hair and, yes eyes of blue.

Most of us boys were taller than Mrs. Kane, yet you sat in fear last period on Monday afternoon if over the weekend you hadn't prepared to recite the poem from memory that she had assigned on Friday .

Even though I was a boy scout and my motto was 'be prepared', it was Mrs. Kane that actually taught me what being prepared meant, as well as the consequences of not being prepared.

When Mrs. Kane called your name, there was never any doubt that you immediately rose from your seat and stood tall and straight beside your desk waiting to hear the words, "You may begin".

If you knew the poem, she smiled and nodded her head encouraging you as she sat at the front of the room, if you attempted to recite the poem, but stumbled, she would prompt you. If you stood in silence looking down at your feet, she waited for what felt like an eternity before you were totally dismissed when she asked a fellow student to stand up.

Her message was clear, she didn't need to say "sit down"...you were embarrassed enough...and a complete fool if you weren't prepared the following week...

Sixty plus years later I can still recite parts of 'Trees', 'Flanders Fields' and 'The Road Not Taken'.

I still remember how sad I felt the day she returned to class after having buried her twenty-something son, he died in her garage when his car fell off a jack and crushed him...she wore black that day.
Miss Vee, a music teacher when I was in the 5th grade in NYC. I REALLY wanted to be in the choir and she knew it. After testing our voices, she told me, "You can be in the choir, move your lips, but DON'T use your voice!" That shattered me. To this day, I won't sing around others.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:26 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:

I was lucky in that I had a few elementary teachers that also taught me something about life.

I recall my sixth grade math teacher, who was well over six feet saying "Class you're not listening to me, so I'm going to come down and speak with you at your level." Then he smiled and actually sat in the waste basket so that he was eye level with us...we all laughed, but his sense of humor grabbed our attention and we listened to him after that. Much later in life I learned that all communication actually occurs in the mind of the listener, and the importance of speaking in a manner that you will be heard....so, thank you Mr. Tobin for the early lesson on that.

I had a few teachers that ruled the classroom with an iron fist and looking back a few were just going through the motions year after year waiting to retire...but my 7th grade English Lit teacher still stands out the most among them all....She was perhaps 5' 2", auburn hair and, yes eyes of blue.

Most of us boys were taller than Mrs. Kane, yet you sat in fear last period on Monday afternoon if over the weekend you hadn't prepared to recite the poem from memory that she had assigned on Friday .

Even though I was a boy scout and my motto was 'be prepared', it was Mrs. Kane that actually taught me what being prepared meant, as well as the consequences of not being prepared.

When Mrs. Kane called your name, there was never any doubt that you immediately rose from your seat and stood tall and straight beside your desk waiting to hear the words, "You may begin".

If you knew the poem, she smiled and nodded her head encouraging you as she sat at the front of the room, if you attempted to recite the poem, but stumbled, she would prompt you. If you stood in silence looking down at your feet, she waited for what felt like an eternity before you were totally dismissed when she asked a fellow student to stand up.

Her message was clear, she didn't need to say "sit down"...you were embarrassed enough...and a complete fool if you weren't prepared the following week...

Sixty plus years later I can still recite parts of 'Trees', 'Flanders Fields' and 'The Road Not Taken'.

I still remember how sad I felt the day she returned to class after having buried her twenty-something son, he died in her garage when his car fell off a jack and crushed him...she wore black that day.
I had an amazing science teacher in 6th and 7th grade. He has so enthusiastic about science. We all had to learn the Periodic Table of Elements and how it worked. He taught us the basics of atomic theory and quantum mechanics. We all had to memorize every bone in the human body and be able to find them, and the major muscles, tendons, nerves, and blood vessels. Maybe this was hell for some students, but I ate it up. After sixth grade, I found a dead doe in the woods with a uterus protruding from a rent in its belly and did a c-section with my pocketknife, then carried the perfect little dead fawn to my teacher. At 17, I was a full-time operating room technician assisting on surgeries on people and saving money for college. It was easy because of what I already knew. I give that teacher a lot of the credit. It gives me pleasure that I finally found him on Facebook over forty years later and was able to thank him for the wealth of knowledge he had shared with me.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:34 AM

Ms. Bussey. Never got to say thank you. In 11'nth grade. I perceived dyslexic meant dumb - and performed as expected. She forced me to read three articles about dyslexics. First was Einstein who flunked out in 8'th grade. Second was VP Rockefeller who memorized his speeches on a tape recorder. Third was a study of white collar criminals in California - 70% were dyslexic. Changed my life. Today, I'm a full time University Professor - MBA program - where I started as a "test of online learning" for them seven years ago - and allows me to live in The Villages. Now "purpose driven" using my God given skills to help others in their career journeys.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:

My high school Physics teacher. ..........by the way that was a great thread introduction......good work.....it communicated something into my dense brain.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,017 Times in 1,743 Posts

The teacher I remember best was Mr Swanick, our high school math teacher. I fooled around in my second last year in high school and just managed to pass math. Mr Swanick taught the final year of math at our high school. The criteria for entering engineering at my chosen university was high A plus. Mr Swanick did not want me to enroll in his classes as he said I would fail and I had to ask the principal to over rule him. I was allowed to take his math class but Mr Swanick seemed to hate me after that. Every time I asked for clarification of how an equation was solved he would humiliate me, “And 1 plus 2 is 3. Do you follow that?”

We had two 40 minute periods back to back, one for Calculus and one for Probability and he would stay in the class for all of 5 minutes. He would write an equation on the board and solve it. Woe be on to you if you asked him a question! He put the assigned homework on the board, then left for the staff room for 75 minutes. The class had 16 students of which 2 were girls. We all got together and each if us took a math question from our textbook and solved it on the board with everyone helping. The final exams were not set by the school and we all wanted to go to university. All 16 of us passed, only one did not get an A in the math exams. All of us, all 16 went on to university.

I thank Mr Swanick, he gave me motivation to prove him wrong.

Last edited by Velvet; 08-03-2021 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:54 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts

So many! But one my ballet teachers, Liz Yeigh was the coolest best friend type of teacher. She even brought us to her place for a class party, introduced us to her boyfriend and fed us hot dogs and ice cream.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:24 PM
Default This was such a feel good post

I was surprised at how many said it was their English teacher. My senior English teacher, Mr. Sofranko, was certainly my inspiration. I too became an English teacher. The best thing about teaching was caring so much about the kids. The response from them gave me a high. Sometimes it takes a roomful of inspiring students to make a great teacher.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:24 PM
Default My best teachers

4th grade teacher - took us to her farm for a field trip. She taught love - I think we all thought we were her favorite.
Elementary principal - took the 6th graders cave exploring each year during 6th grade camp! He was like a scoutmaster to every student that attended our school. Great fireside storyteller, too!
High School history teacher. She made history interesting with her extensive stories.
College history teacher - I rushed into college right out of high school - summer session. First day of class: Professor - "How many of you are freshmen, this is your very first college class fresh out of high school?" <few hands are raised>
Professor (evil laugh) - "Good luck. If you can pass this class, you'll make it." (or something very close to that) Hardest class I took in college, but it gave me confidence for the years ahead! I'm not sure he was the best professor, but definitely one I remember!
Best of the BEST! My college advisor, Dr. Rider. He did everything an advisor should - calmed fears, gave sound advice, encouraged, had high expectations, and went to bat for students/programs. I stayed in touch with him until his death a couple years ago. He left a legacy of exactly what a teacher, advisor, mentor, friend should be, and his family certainly would say the same about him as a son, husband, father, etc.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:42 PM
Veteran member

Fifth grade geometry class back in 1962, Harahan, La elementary school. Mr Brown. Best teacher I ever had. He was a jewel in a big box of broken glass of Louisiana public school teachers.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:13 PM
Location: Lived in MD, SC, DE, PA, VA, CA, Italy, Spain, USNS Comfort & Mercy...moved from New Mexico
Default Favorite Teacher

Quote:

My favorite teacher was my 3rd grade teacher, Sister Madonna. Petite, a beautiful face but boy could she hit a baseball like a 60mph line drive. I was so impressed that a nun in a full, long habit, could hit that hard and run that fast on the bases....I paid attention anytime she spoke! She got my attention, boy howdy!

Tags
prepared, kane, mrs, sat, teacher

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.