Tell Me Why Snow is So Bad

Closed Thread
Old 08-09-2018, 09:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Snow tires. Shoveling snow. Salt on roads bad for car paint. Shoveling snow. Heating bills. Driving on ice. Shoveling snow. Freezing while waiting for train or bus. Shoveling snow. Salting driveway. Those are the reasons I refused to ever live in snow as an adult. Snow is great to play in but stinks to live in, especially as we get older.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
You said it all, and saved me the trouble, thanks.
I have met people who have not seen snow, as well as people who had never seen an ocean. Seeing and playing in snow is fun....in the short term. However, I too agree with Rewitch's post. I will also add losing your heat and worrying about frozen pipes. We lived in Michigan and came home from vacation to find our house at 40 degrees and getting colder. Our furnace had failed and we couldn't get the plumber in until the next day.

I was telling someone that the happiest day of my life was when I sold my snowblower. My wife had a funny look on her face....I wonder why?

Oh, and when it is 30 below, this emoji doesn't shiver anywhere near enough to match how cold it is.....
Old 08-09-2018, 09:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

They say a picture is worth a 1000 words.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages in January

The Villages Florida
Old 08-09-2018, 09:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Based on 40+ years of experience, I much prefer taking a vacation during the dead of winter to the snow/cold and coming home to where it's warm...than the other way around.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,923 Times in 2,449 Posts

It's only bad if you're a whimp
Old 08-09-2018, 09:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

C'mon, you people are scaring off a possible future business prospect for me........
Old 08-09-2018, 09:13 PM
Sage

Let's say you are with a bunch of friends and you need to make a beer run.
It doesn't matter if you are 20 or 70.

option 1--snow
option 2-no snow

which one is easier?
Old 08-09-2018, 09:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,923 Times in 2,449 Posts

Quote:
Snow tires. Shoveling snow. Salt on roads bad for car paint. Shoveling snow. Heating bills. Driving on ice. Shoveling snow. Freezing while waiting for train or bus. Shoveling snow. Salting driveway. Those are the reasons I refused to ever live in snow as an adult. Snow is great to play in but stinks to live in, especially as we get older.
Actually salt only bad for the unpaint surfaces, the bubbling you see from the inside out.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post

option 1--snow
option 2-no snow

which one is easier?
Depends - does one of your friend's have a truck with a plow on the front?
Old 08-09-2018, 09:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
Depends - does one of your friend's have a truck with a plow on the front?
no
Is that what it takes to buy a 6 pack?
Old 08-09-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post

option 1--snow
option 2-no snow

which one is easier?
Depends on the time

option 1 -- stores are open 24 hrs a day even during the snow
option 2 -- store close by 9:00
Old 08-09-2018, 09:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,073 Times in 2,743 Posts

Snow is fun when you are young, are cold tolerant, and have good knees. Skiing used to be my favorite past time, but with my knee replacement (and another one in my future), those days are long gone. White fluffy snow is beautiful, but then the temperature gets warm during the day and freezes at night and it becomes dangerous ice. And shoveling, plowing, driving, salt, etc..... all are not a good thing. I tried to make my TOV name coldnomore, but it was already taken!
Old 08-09-2018, 09:42 PM

Snow is wet, messy, cold and turns from white to dirty gray. I have lived through winters where the sun did not shine for 2 weeks. Where the skies are gray and the snow is dirty. Where it is so cold, that your car does not heat up for the first 10 minutes. I have driven to work in the dark and driven home in the dark at 4:00pm. In 32 years of work I have had one snow day. Snow is fun for kids. When there are big fluffy snowflakes falling it looks pretty but those big fluffy flakes probably happen twice a winter.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:06 PM
Veteran member

We lived outside of Cleveland Ohio for 34 years. If snow was that bad, we wouldn't have lasted that long. When our children were in school and we were working, winter passed quickly and we didn't mind it. We looked forward to the blizzards and snow events and the unusually cold weather (minus 25 degrees was the coldest). We just got out the Chinese checkers, Monopoly and Scrabble and played marathon rounds of each game. We lived next to a park where the rangers would build fires in barrels at the top of the sledding hills. Sledding went on day and night, probably 9 am to midnight. As adults, our kids always went sledding on Christmas Eve and Christmas day, when there was snow. Even after they married, they all went to the park to sled. But they all moved away, we retired and the winters began to be something we dreaded. Mostly, we dreaded the long gray days and the gray Lake Erie to match. In 2007 I said, "I don't think I can look at the gray sky and the gray lake all winter". We left for Florida soon after and visited everyone who had ever said, "Come for a visit". And that was the year we discovered The Villages.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:38 AM
Platinum member
Talking No heart attacks shoveling sunshine.

Quote:
Snow tires. Shoveling snow. Salt on roads bad for car paint. Shoveling snow. Heating bills. Driving on ice. Shoveling snow. Freezing while waiting for trrain or bus. Shoveling snow. Salting driveway. Those are the reasons I refused to ever live in snow as an adult. Snow is great to play in but stinks to live in, especially as we get older.
Slips and falls with injuries to wrists, arms, backs and heads. Car crashes on clear ice on roadways that snow tires cannot handle. Traffic jams that stretch for miles when a semi-tractor jack-knifes. Heart attacks brought on by shoveling snow. Days that are so cold that heat pumps cannot keep up and even the "emergency heat" setting on the thermostat is ineffective. Head and chest colds. Grey, bleak, overcast days that cast a pall on your mood as the once-white snow on the ground turns to a dirty grey slush from urban air pollution.

When I moved from Maryland back to Florida, I left three things sitting in the middle of my garage. Two snow tires and a snow shovel.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:57 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

Snow is nice. But after 60 years of it, Florida is a nice change.

Tags
snow, villages, winter, build, experience

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.