Tell Me Why Snow is So Bad

Closed Thread
Old 08-09-2018, 07:08 PM
Default Tell Me Why Snow is So Bad

I've lived my whole life in the South. I've only seen it snow on a handful of occasions and it melts quickly without any time to even build a snowman. It is apparent that many of the snowbirds flee to the South in the winter to escape the snow and cold. We are considering the villages but Florida is exactly the same weather I've lived in my entire life. I want to experience something different! I'd like to make snowballs, have a white Christmas, ride in a sleigh, build a snow fort and have to bundle up! I feel like I've missed out on a big part of being an Earthling! My husband did take me skiing once so I could see real snow but there was a heat wave and the snow wasn't falling! So, I want to know from any Northerners what it is that makes it so bad that no one wants to stay there for the winter. Give me some things to think about before we make the decision to move to the villages for good instead of heading up north to experience four seasons!
Old 08-09-2018, 07:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I love the snow, I go out after midnight and watch the snow fall. Sometimes there is lightning and the sky lights up with the beautiful snowflakes.

Fall is second with the trees ablaze with reds, yellow, orange, purple.

We keep our home up north to enjoy in the summers and I go back for some winter months.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:19 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Snow tires. Shoveling snow. Salt on roads bad for car paint. Shoveling snow. Heating bills. Driving on ice. Shoveling snow. Freezing while waiting for train or bus. Shoveling snow. Salting driveway. Those are the reasons I refused to ever live in snow as an adult. Snow is great to play in but stinks to live in, especially as we get older.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 08-09-2018, 07:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Snow tires. Shoveling snow. Salt on roads bad for car paint. Shoveling snow. Heating bills. Driving on ice. Shoveling snow. Freezing while waiting for train or bus. Shoveling snow. Salting driveway. Those are the reasons I refused to ever live in snow as an adult. Snow is great to play in but stinks to live in, especially as we get older.
You said it all, and saved me the trouble, thanks.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 08-09-2018, 07:34 PM
Sage

When I went into the Navy, I had to go through an orientation course at Bethesda Naval Hospital. There I met another new officer from San Jose, CA who was being assigned to Brunswick Maine. Since I was being sent to the San Francisco Bay Area from my home in New England, we talked frequently about what to expect in our new homes.

Around Christmas, we got a card from him telling us how much they enjoyed their first White Christmas. Around Easter, we got another card asking “When does the snow go away?”. Didn’t have the heart to tell him.

Anyway, be careful what you wish for.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

Suppose you have an important doctor appointment tomorrrow and you get 24 inches of snow? That doesn't happen in The Villages.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman View Post
I've lived my whole life in the South. I've only seen it snow on a handful of occasions and it melts quickly without any time to even build a snowman. It is apparent that many of the snowbirds flee to the South in the winter to escape the snow and cold. We are considering the villages but Florida is exactly the same weather I've lived in my entire life. I want to experience something different! I'd like to make snowballs, have a white Christmas, ride in a sleigh, build a snow fort and have to bundle up! I feel like I've missed out on a big part of being an Earthling! My husband did take me skiing once so I could see real snow but there was a heat wave and the snow wasn't falling! So, I want to know from any Northerners what it is that makes it so bad that no one wants to stay there for the winter. Give me some things to think about before we make the decision to move to the villages for good instead of heading up north to experience four seasons!
I may have a deal for you. If we manage to get moved to TV in the foreseeable future, we may very well still be stuck with our home up north. (I say stuck, my husband probably not so much). So while we're both in TV for the entire winter, maybe we can rent you our house up north during that time period and you can get your snow fix. In fact, if you want to experience fall too, no problem. We have a lovely tree lined street and beautiful woods behind our house.

Oh, did I mention I have great neighbors up here too? If they like you as much as they like us, they'll even invite you for holiday dinners.......

My husband made me edit to mention the nice large 2nd story solarium enclosed jacuzzi that we have at your disposal. It's really fun to be in that while the snow is falling.......preferably with wine on the side.

Last edited by Abby10; 08-09-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

The above replies said it all. Spent my entire life in PA, saw 24" plus snows, so deep and heavy that roofs collapsed. Lost a set of relatively new tires due to rutted roads (32 days of below freezing weather and LOTs of black ice). I was lucky, no accidents in snow or on ice but a few close calls.

IMHO, rent a place up North for say 2 or 3 months, November to February, you will really appreciate TV afterwards.

PS I was in PA for almost 65 years, I had the neighborhood snow blower, I took the bus to work and I remember standing in -40 degrees waiting for that bus. I also have a lot of pictures of various snowfalls and good memories, but I would not go back.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:51 PM
Veteran member

I spent 49 yrs in and around Syracuse NY which averages about 125 inches a yr. which is about 30 more inches than Buffalo gets.. it's not just the snow and cold it's also the dreariness from the constant cloud cover.. you can go weeks without ever seeing the sun..
Old 08-09-2018, 07:56 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Suppose you have an important doctor appointment tomorrrow and you get 24 inches of snow? That doesn't happen in The Villages.
Yes it does - during storms. An appointment can be rescheduled. No sweat.

I am sure a lot of you hire gardeners year round. We hire snow plowers just for our driveway just for four months or so. Yes we use salt, and there are car washes to wash our cars. The only thing we do have to watch out for is ice, and we use cleats on our muck shoes. When it is too cold, we spend our time inside our comfortable house with a roaring fire in our fireplace. I indulge in indoor activities such as sewing, computing, trying out new recipes, reading, and art.

I am sure you spend a lot of time inside your house when it is too hot and humid to go outside.

Best of all, we get to enjoy the four seasons. We have something to look forward to and something to put behind us. We like some seasoning in our seasons.

Yes heating bills can be high. So can AC bills.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:59 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Matzy

I lived for a certain time in Berchtesgaden (job-wise), Germany. Snow from September until April are a "normal", to drive up the hill (23%) every day with temperatures down to -45 Centigrade by 10-50 inches of snow gave me the lesson to prefer seeing snow through tv in TV.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Dear OP. There are no words. It is just an experience that you must experience. It’s exciting for sure.

Let us know what you think after you give it a try.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:05 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Good list............don't forget about getting older and SNOW = Falls. Hips, Wrists, Backs, Heads, Arms.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:16 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Good list............don't forget about getting older and SNOW = Falls. Hips, Wrists, Backs, Heads, Arms.

And shoveling...never ending shoveling over and over and over driveway walks and roof like Groundhog Day

Last edited by fw102807; 08-09-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:47 PM
Veteran member

Catwoman, you might consider a city like Denver that can get a considerable amount of snow throughout the winter months but which usually melts within a few days.

I've lived in ND and MN where the snow stays for five months -- the fun of it starts to wear on you. Scraping ice and snow off your windshield after work or after parking to run errands isn't pleasant. Spending part of your lunch hour sitting in the car and running the engine if there are no plug-ins for the block heater. Having to install a block heater. Accidentally leaving a case of soda in your car and having half the cans freeze and explode. Slipping/falling on snow and ice. Sliding into parked cars while driving on snow and ice.

It's not cheap to outfit yourself for winter! Sweaters, coats, gloves, hats, boots, thermal underwear, muffler, snow shovel or blower, salt, etc. The windshield scrapers are cheap.
Closed Thread

Tags
snow, villages, winter, build, experience

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.