Tell Me Why Snow is So Bad

Closed Thread
Old 08-10-2018, 07:39 AM
Sage

Oh let me list the ways.....snow can begin in late Oct. and stay til April. Ice is THE worst along with the frigid cold. Fear of falling comes right behind this!!!! We had 3 record snow-fall winters in a row in our midwestern state....over 100"....prior to our move here. It was REALLY bad up there, from what I hear this past year!!

It got tiresome to have to rise early to blow and shovel the walks and driveway before work only to have the job all over again after getting home. Driving in it is tiresome and many times dangerous. It's pretty for sure but once one ages----doing the "fun" stuff isn't so fun anymore. We'd rather shovel sun!!
Old 08-10-2018, 08:26 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

I would nicely say to the OP that you are probably not Villages material .. Like one of the other posters, I grew up in Syracuse, went to college in Rochester NY and then moved "south" to the Binghamton / Endicott NY area, where I got only 2/3 of the snow that the first two cities received .. 88 inches / year at the time .. Also had a work gig that took me through the Catskills regularly.

My wife is tired of me telling folks that the day I had the biggest smile on my face is when I gave my brother my 7.5 HP John Deere snowblower .. That;s when I moved to Atlanta .. I actually like seeing blue skies and daffodils in February .. If you still like shoveling, stay put .. there is nothing wrong with that .. Someone has to stay back and turn out the lights
Old 08-10-2018, 08:37 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
I would nicely say to the OP that you are probably not Villages material .. Like one of the other posters, I grew up in Syracuse, went to college in Rochester NY and then moved "south" to the Binghamton / Endicott NY area, where I got only 2/3 of the snow that the first two cities received .. 88 inches / year at the time .. Also had a work gig that took me through the Catskills regularly.

My wife is tired of me telling folks that the day I had the biggest smile on my face is when I gave my brother my 7.5 HP John Deere snowblower .. That;s when I moved to Atlanta .. I actually like seeing blue skies and daffodils in February .. If you still like shoveling, stay put .. there is nothing wrong with that .. Someone has to stay back and turn out the lights
I think that Syracuse natives and/or long term residents are recognized experts on snowfall. According to Wikipedia, Syracuse averages over 123 inches of snow each year. That's over ten feet for those of you who are math deficient. And if you go fifty miles north to Redfield NY, they average over 350 inches a year (in December over 62 inches fell in 48 hours). I suggest that if you need a tutorial on what's bad about snow, spend a winter in Central NY. I think that only then will you know. I retired in 2012 and fled to Florida to escape the Central NY winters (never mind the calendar - they start in November and end in March or April). Needless to say, I love the Florida winters.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:05 AM
Gold member

I'm from Michigan and I would like snow a lot better if it were cold and didn't get more than 4 inches deep.

I would suggest you become a reverse snowbird and go to Michigan for your vacations in Jan or Feb. You will get your fix you need.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:11 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Only when I worked on commercial HVAC did I truly hate snow and ice. The tool of business was a shovel to get to the unit on the ground or roof. If it wasn't a flat roof I'd have to harness to the equipment.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:00 AM
Default Not sure what you are thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman View Post
I've lived my whole life in the South. I've only seen it snow on a handful of occasions and it melts quickly without any time to even build a snowman. It is apparent that many of the snowbirds flee to the South in the winter to escape the snow and cold. We are considering the villages but Florida is exactly the same weather I've lived in my entire life. I want to experience something different! I'd like to make snowballs, have a white Christmas, ride in a sleigh, build a snow fort and have to bundle up! I feel like I've missed out on a big part of being an Earthling! My husband did take me skiing once so I could see real snow but there was a heat wave and the snow wasn't falling! So, I want to know from any Northerners what it is that makes it so bad that no one wants to stay there for the winter. Give me some things to think about before we make the decision to move to the villages for good instead of heading up north to experience four seasons!
I am an ex-NEW YORKER.
I went to college in SYRACUSE. SNOW? They get 120 inches of snow per average year. THAT IS 10 FEET.
Imagine the winter. What is the weather today? Answer SNOW. I was out once and it was TWENTY BELOW ZERO.
That can be life threatening. As you breathe you can feel the mucus in your nose freezing.

Perhaps, like our heat. Snow is pretty IF, YOU DO NOT NEED TO GET TO WORK OR WORK OUTSIDE.

A walk down the beach in a snow storm- I do miss it-A LITTLE.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:15 AM
fw102807

This says it all
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0194.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	76093  
Old 08-10-2018, 11:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
This says it all
That’s what I was trying to say! You said it way better.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
I am an ex-NEW YORKER.
I went to college in SYRACUSE. SNOW? They get 120 inches of snow per average year. THAT IS 10 FEET.
Imagine the winter. What is the weather today? Answer SNOW. I was out once and it was TWENTY BELOW ZERO.
That can be life threatening. As you breathe you can feel the mucus in your nose freezing.

Perhaps, like our heat. Snow is pretty IF, YOU DO NOT NEED TO GET TO WORK OR WORK OUTSIDE.

A walk down the beach in a snow storm- I do miss it-A LITTLE.
I think that has a lot to do with it. I have been noticing on this thread that those who are saying how much they dislike it also add on that it's because of HAVING to go out in it for one reason or another, and the driving aspects. It is without a doubt beautiful to watch a fresh snowfall from the inside out and then going out and enjoying the absolute silence that can result, especially after a heavy snowfall and no one is out yet.

Having said all of that, I could do without it. But I grew up in the mountains where I experienced a lot of snow and nary a problem getting around because we knew better how to deal with it and there were fewer people and obstacles to get around to clear the way. Now that the weather has shifted, I'm experiencing heavy snow in the city and suburbs.....not as much fun and much more difficult to deal with. We'll see if I miss it but I doubt it.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:11 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Oh let me list the ways.....snow can begin in late Oct. and stay til April. Ice is THE worst along with the frigid cold. Fear of falling comes right behind this!!!! We had 3 record snow-fall winters in a row in our midwestern state....over 100"....prior to our move here. It was REALLY bad up there, from what I hear this past year!!

It got tiresome to have to rise early to blow and shovel the walks and driveway before work only to have the job all over again after getting home. Driving in it is tiresome and many times dangerous. It's pretty for sure but once one ages----doing the "fun" stuff isn't so fun anymore. We'd rather shovel sun!!
Heat and humidity can start April 1st and stay until mid-November.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
So what’s the downside? Shocker, it gets hot in Florida.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Weather

Quote:
I love the weather in FL and detest the cold and snow. I play golf 3 afternoons a week and drink alot of water. I have no problem with the heat. When I get home I jump in the pool and relax.
Mid September it starts cooling off. October is one of the most beautiful months in TV.
There is not anything to convince me to move move back sno,ice and extreme cold. I love living in sunny weather.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:25 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Yup that's what we're here for.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I thought most hired the snow guy for the drive. My heating bill dead of winter is never more than $125. Cars of choice, Jeep, Rover, never missed an appointment or day of work because of snow for 50 years, that includes all the 24 hour calls.

Some love to ski, snowboard, and just love the snow. Others not so much. We are able to keep homes in north and south, and in between. I love that first white snow, and if you own the right clothes cold is not a big deal.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:09 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
I thought most hired the snow guy for the drive. My heating bill dead of winter is never more than $125. Cars of choice, Jeep, Rover, never missed an appointment or day of work because of snow for 50 years, that includes all the 24 hour calls.

Some love to ski, snowboard, and just love the snow. Others not so much. We are able to keep homes in north and south, and in between. I love that first white snow, and if you own the right clothes cold is not a big deal.
It is when you get 4 feet at a time. Snow guy may as well move in for the winter and was of no use until the roads were cleared. Places are closed and streets and parking lots are blocked. Power is out and generators are running. Our heating bills were several hundred dollars a month. We not only had to clear the driveway but the roof as well so that it would not collapse. I never want to see it again.
Closed Thread

Tags
snow, villages, winter, build, experience

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.