Tell Me Why Snow is So Bad

Closed Thread
Old 08-11-2018, 11:03 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
Growing up and spending my whole career outside of Rochester NY, I personally do not miss snow. Frank
Thank you for your detailed post most of which I have edited out, Frank. It brought back memories.

I took a job with Eastman Kodak in 1970, lived in Pittsford, worked up by the lake. I remember the winter commutes. It felt like I was taking my life in my hands at times as the windblown snow coming down was so visually obstructive I could not see 10 feet in front of my car. My boss had lived in the area all his life. I could not believe how fast he drove on an all white interstate until he told me it was salt, not snow and ice. He had his cars Ziebarted but my cherry 1967 SS Camaro convertible with the 375HP 396 soon started to rust. It made me sick to my stomach to see it happen.

The first winter we had 144 inches of snow, double the average year. The sun shone through the heavy cloud cover only a few minutes per week all winter long. I drove to work in the dark and drove home in the dark most of the long winter.

After I realized what it was like living there I found another job in a tolerable climate with lots of sunshine between winter storms in Los Alamos, NM. It was colder there than in Rochester at times because of the elevation but it was a dry cold, not a damp cold. There is a difference!

As for my time in Rochester I tell people it was the longest 20 years I ever spent in 30 months.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-11-2018, 11:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
As long as the airports are not shut down due to weather...
That happened to me a few years back. Thankfully I was "stuck" in Florida instead of up north. Didn't mind that one bit!
Old 08-11-2018, 11:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Guess it depends on whether it's the first or last day when it's icky!
Old 08-11-2018, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Why is snow bad? Because it has to be cold first. Freezing cold.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2018, 11:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Why is snow bad? Because it has to be cold first. Freezing cold.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
best answer so far
Old 08-11-2018, 11:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
best answer so far
Amen to that!
Old 08-11-2018, 12:02 PM
Sage

I forgot to add....try driving in Winter sometime. You think it's bad here? Folks drive crazy then spin out on the ice. Ice-covered roads are THE worst. Sometimes we not only had snow BUT freezing sleet (rain) that stuck to everything. At times the power would go out. One year that I remember---all the southern third of the state of Wisconsin had NO power for days. Try that in frigid winter. Oh the snow is pretty and I used to like to watch it fall (from inside where it was warm). I used to love to snow-mobile and to down-hill ski---but I was young then too. Also to ice skate and slide down hills---even more young then. BUT to bundle up to just go out for the mail, to have those sets of clothing plus boots (which track in all the ice and crud). Do NOT miss any of it anymore. Year around shorts and sandals are the way to go these days.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:34 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
As for my time in Rochester I tell people it was the longest 20 years I ever spent in 30 months.
Yup...I do not want to get off topic, but there are good and bad things about everyplace, including here. I miss the fall, the apples, the GREAT pizza places you cannot find anywhere here, Beef on Wicks, Garbage plates, etc, etc.

Getting back to snow, I do not miss kicking hundreds of pounds of ice and snow off my car, the crazy ways people park in parking lots when no lines are found, bundling up like an eskimo, sitting down before you open that RG&E monthly bill, chopping ice off the roof, walking under massive icicles praying one does not fall and impale me, Having someone who does not know how to drive in snow rear end me, even when I know how to drive in the snow, watching out for "Bridge freezes when wet" signs, etc, etc.

Frank
Old 08-11-2018, 12:46 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
Yup...I do not want to get off topic, but there are good and bad things about everyplace, including here. I miss the fall, the apples, the GREAT pizza places you cannot find anywhere here, Beef on Wicks, Garbage plates, etc, etc.

Getting back to snow, I do not miss kicking hundreds of pounds of ice and snow off my car, the crazy ways people park in parking lots when no lines are found, bundling up like an eskimo, sitting down before you open that RG&E monthly bill, chopping ice off the roof, walking under massive icicles praying one does not fall and impale me, Having someone who does not know how to drive in snow rear end me, even when I know how to drive in the snow, watching out for "Bridge freezes when wet" signs, etc, etc.

Frank
I LOVED the summers. We used to water ski on Lake Canandaigua after work as the daylight lasted so long. I enjoyed fishing on the St. Laurence River up in the Thousand Islands, crisp air and the color of the leaves in autumn.

What I observed and could not comprehend when I first arrived in June was seeing people up there during summer cramming in back to back activities (and summer seemed very short as it actually snowed lightly in early June one year) as they of course knew a long winter was coming. I laid back and didn't understand why until my first winter. Growing up and through college I had mostly lived in Albuquerque, NM and spent time in LA and San Diego. I moved up to Rochester after spending six years in the D.C. area which I enjoyed; it had some winter but not enough to trouble me back then. Boy did I find out about living through a long cold snowy winter!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 08-11-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:50 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Snow tires. Shoveling snow. Salt on roads bad for car paint. Shoveling snow. Heating bills. Driving on ice. Shoveling snow. Freezing while waiting for train or bus. Shoveling snow. Salting driveway. Those are the reasons I refused to ever live in snow as an adult. Snow is great to play in but stinks to live in, especially as we get older.
OMG, I totally agree. However, I simply loved watching when it was snowing; it was exceptionally therapeutic. It was beautiful. When Robert and I lived in Provincetown (not Providence) we had windows on three sides and expansive forest views. I LOVED watching the snow while making gallons of (I froze it) a long cooked something, such as chicken stock, pasta sauce or even a time consuming supper.

The reasons we moved are:
Ptown population dropped to about 1,500 during winter (from up to 60,000 on Fourth of July).
25 out of 160 restaurants are open in winter—five are REALLY good.
In winter of 2015 we had so much snow (loved it). Temperatures went to 20s, a stayed there for a month. Couldn’t use the front door entrance until May.
In March 2015 I broke my ankle checking for frozen pipes for a neighbor. Robert hurt his back trying to push the truck (!) out, with me, so we could drive. Last straw. Hello, Villages!

I do miss it. A moderately heavy snow storm is a beautiful thing.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
OMG, I totally agree. However, I simply loved watching when it was snowing; it was exceptionally therapeutic. It was beautiful. When Robert and I lived in Provincetown (not Providence) we had windows on three sides and expansive forest views. I LOVED watching the snow while making gallons of (I froze it) a long cooked something, such as chicken stock, pasta sauce or even a time consuming supper.

The reasons we moved are:
Ptown population dropped to about 1,500 during winter (from up to 60,000 on Fourth of July).
25 out of 160 restaurants are open in winter—five are REALLY good.
In winter of 2015 we had so much snow (loved it). Temperatures went to 20s, a stayed there for a month. Couldn’t use the front door entrance until May.
In March 2015 I broke my ankle checking for frozen pipes for a neighbor. Robert hurt his back trying to push the truck (!) out, with me, so we could drive. Last straw. Hello, Villages!

I do miss it. A moderately heavy snow storm is a beautiful thing.
Up until the part where you hurt yourself, you were causing me to recall with pleasure the blizzards at Lake Michigan that snowed us in, the bread-baking-stew-making marathons, and watching football in front of the fireplace. Bundling up and walking on the beach, breathing through my scarf till it froze.

But those were some days here and there, usually in the beginning of winter. Overall, unfortunately, the bad outweighed the good parts for us.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
As long as the airports are not shut down due to weather...
So far snow was never a delay for us, the hurricane delayed us by 2 days, but that was going into Orlando.

The only other airline delay we had was 2 day delay after 911, but everyone one was a no fly, so I try not to dwell on that airport closure
Old 08-11-2018, 06:32 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,094 Times in 374 Posts

You might like snow when after a winter with 199 inches of the stuff, you are praying for one more snow storm in June just so you can break a record. Could this happen?

For those who want to experience a winter, try it for a month just like you would want to try any other place. Then if you still like it, try it for another month. And if you start praying for more, you might want to move further north. If you find yourself going south for the winter, you might not like the snow, but rather the place in summer.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:13 AM
Gold member

I still vividly remember my first visit to Florida. It was probably in the late 70's, in February, and I was visiting my snowbird parents who lived in St. Cloud. I left the Syracuse airport in a driving snowstorm after waiting out a several hour delay, landing in Orlando. I was a smoker then, and decided to walk outside for a smoke before arranging for my rental car. I can still feel that beautiful, bright Florida sun on my face, palm trees everywhere, and the soul warming 78 degree temperature. My thoughts then were, "Why in the heck do I live where there is snow and ice?"
Old 08-12-2018, 09:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
I spent 49 yrs in and around Syracuse NY which averages about 125 inches a yr. which is about 30 more inches than Buffalo gets.. it's not just the snow and cold it's also the dreariness from the constant cloud cover.. you can go weeks without ever seeing the sun..
Closed Thread

Tags
snow, villages, winter, build, experience

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.