Default Ten Best Supermarket Chains in the US

Some of you are going to looooove this.

The 10 Best Supermarkets in the U.S. | Food & Wine
Old 08-28-2018, 01:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

Love it.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:13 PM

I really missed Wegmans when we first moved to Florida. But I’ve come to appreciate Publix and the occasional trip to Fresh Market.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:21 PM
fw102807

No surprise at all about Wegmans.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

I miss Wegmans. Publix is not that great.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

They built a new Wegman's across the street from my subdivision in Maryland and the new manager bought my home. The company actually will buy the manager's old home when they transfer so they don't have to worry about selling and buying one before the other. The manager had a letter from the Wegman corp that guaranteed the funds.

The area of the store for already prepared foods (everything from crab cakes to pizza) that you can eat on the premises or take home is bigger than an Aldis. They compete with nearby restaurants as much as other supermarkets. Within a year of the announced opening of the new store, one grocery store across the street closed (Weis), the Giant Grocery Store (similar to Publix) added gas pumps on site, and Walmart attempted to move to a different location 2 miles further away.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsBurgers View Post
I really missed Wegmans when we first moved to Florida. But I’ve come to appreciate Publix and the occasional trip to Fresh Market.
IMO The Fresh Market here is like WaWa compared to Wegman's. Wegman's is a true supermarket while IMO Fresh Market here is like a small overpriced specialty food store.

I was in a F.M. in South Fl that was 5x the size of this one but since they don't carry "regular supermarket" type of items they can't be compared.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:34 AM

Yup Wegmans puts Publix to shame!!!
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Old 08-29-2018, 07:09 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

What amazes me is the size of the gap. It isn't like they are just a little bit better then everyone else, they are significantly better. Not only significantly better, but they also have much better prices and selection. Other chains have to recognize this so why wouldn't someone else determine how they do it and try to follow their model.

Why wouldn't a chain like Publix send ever store manager to a Wegman's and spend a week there. Come back and get a meeting together of those managers and find a way to improve their brand.

Wegmans is expanding and moving slowly South. And everywhere they go they put the others out of business. I lived in Northern Virginia and watched as they moved in. If I owned this type business and saw their model working, I would sure start now to try and fix my product. I wouldn't wait until they get here because then it's to late.

Some of the things I found I liked about Wegmans.

The web site. I could build my shopping list online, add recipe ingredients with one click, and get a store map of where everything on my shopping list was located.

Labeling. Every Wegmans brand product is labeled with all the different things people may need to know. Gluten, lactose, lean, low fat, vegan, etc for a total of 12 different labels.

Produce. So much better quality then anyplace I have shopped. They last longer when I get them home.

Pricing. I have taken my publix sales slip and gone to the Wegmans web site and made the same list. It is always 20% to 30% less.

Selection. In almost every department you have more and better choices.

Employees. The train their employees well. You can ask anyone in the store where to find something and they will take you directly to it.

Their food court is great, wine store excellent, cheese shop, meat department, seafood all have excellent selections.

The food court is so big you will see tour buses stopping there for lunch.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
What amazes me is the size of the gap. It isn't like they are just a little bit better then everyone else, they are significantly better. Not only significantly better, but they also have much better prices and selection. Other chains have to recognize this so why wouldn't someone else determine how they do it and try to follow their model.

Why wouldn't a chain like Publix send ever store manager to a Wegman's and spend a week there. Come back and get a meeting together of those managers and find a way to improve their brand.

Wegmans is expanding and moving slowly South. And everywhere they go they put the others out of business. I lived in Northern Virginia and watched as they moved in. If I owned this type business and saw their model working, I would sure start now to try and fix my product. I wouldn't wait until they get here because then it's to late.

Some of the things I found I liked about Wegmans.

The web site. I could build my shopping list online, add recipe ingredients with one click, and get a store map of where everything on my shopping list was located.

Labeling. Every Wegmans brand product is labeled with all the different things people may need to know. Gluten, lactose, lean, low fat, vegan, etc for a total of 12 different labels.

Produce. So much better quality then anyplace I have shopped. They last longer when I get them home.

Pricing. I have taken my publix sales slip and gone to the Wegmans web site and made the same list. It is always 20% to 30% less.

Selection. In almost every department you have more and better choices.

Employees. The train their employees well. You can ask anyone in the store where to find something and they will take you directly to it.

Their food court is great, wine store excellent, cheese shop, meat department, seafood all have excellent selections.

The food court is so big you will see tour buses stopping there for lunch.
100% correct on all points. I remember talking to the manager of a Giant, shortly before the Wegman's opened in Fair Oaks. He described it as a "flash in the pan", and that it "wouldn't be successful". Boy was he wrong.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

I went to college in Rochester NY. The very first Wegman's was one block away from my apartment. Amazing to watch them grow in size and strategy. Have several friends that went to work for Wegmans and it turned into a career. Two of them are now retired and snowbird in TV. Never heard anything but praise for what a great employer Wegmans was.

I hear other TV folks favorably comparing Wegmans to Publix and Fresh Market. No comparison. Must be from the midwest.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:40 AM
Gold member

I've been in TV for six years now, and the Upstate NY entity I miss the most is still Wegmans, which had a store less than a mile from my home (in a northern Syracuse suburb). If you've never had a Wegman's near you, you are missing something great. But I don't understand the negative comments on Publix. I think that Publix is the closest I've seen to Wegman's in the South.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Wegmans.

I have never ever heard anyone talk about Wegmans without absolutely giving them glowing reviews.

I am jealous. But since I know no better, I really like Publix, Winn-Dixie, Aldi's, Fresh Market and even Walmart. I LOVE to go grocery shopping.

I used to think Krogers was great, but I like Publix better by far for most things.

I guess I will never know how great Wegman's is. Sigh.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Another vote for Wegman's......sure do miss them

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 08-29-2018, 01:23 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,759 Posts

Having just returned from a TJ's run I thought I would check this thread out.

Wegmans is indeed incredible! My daughter recently moved back to Maryland and now lives close to one she loves.

Personally, I love Central Market which I have visited several times in Fort Worth, TX. It is really, really impressive.

Whole Foods, blah, blah, blah...I have gotten diarrhea every time I ate their eat-in prepared food. They charge whole paycheck prices. I have them near me at both residences but will pass on them.

Costco has some great meats, fruits and vegetables and I shop there as well.

I do like Publix!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

Tags
looooove, supermarket, chains, ten

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.