Ten Best Supermarket Chains in the US

Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2018, 01:34 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Nothing beats HyVee (well, beside 9 others).

We love HyVee's.

They reinvest in their stores.
Most have bars and table cloth dining.
(sounds weird, I know.........but it works)

Last edited by dewilson58; 08-29-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:00 PM
Sage

Coming from the midwest...I liked HyVee! Here, I like Aldi, sometimes Publix so can't speak to the other regional compaines. Meier (sp?) wasn't mentioned but folks on TOTV have said they missed that. I experienced the store one time and didn't see the attraction...but that was just me. The way we shop is, we get what we like to eat and have the brands we gravitate to. We have food restrictions due to "allergies" so that's one given we have. When we first arrived in this area----we shopped Publix, didn't like Winn Dixie (still don't much), then added Aldi and Sam's. We seldom go to Sam's anymore as we don't buy in volume. Used to get wine there and a few canned/jarred items.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Coming from the midwest...I liked HyVee! Here, I like Aldi, sometimes Publix so can't speak to the other regional compaines. Meier (sp?) wasn't mentioned but folks on TOTV have said they missed that. I experienced the store one time and didn't see the attraction...but that was just me. The way we shop is, we get what we like to eat and have the brands we gravitate to. We have food restrictions due to "allergies" so that's one given we have. When we first arrived in this area----we shopped Publix, didn't like Winn Dixie (still don't much), then added Aldi and Sam's. We seldom go to Sam's anymore as we don't buy in volume. Used to get wine there and a few canned/jarred items.
Meijer in the Midwest--especially Michigan. My husband loved it. I personally thought that it looked like it had a lot of product, but on closer inspection it had a lot of the same product--like three shelves of Heinz Ketchup, three shelves of Hellman's mayo, etc. I did like the fact that it was a full-service store, so you could buy food and jewelry and clothing and lawn mowers in the same place. I didn't hate it. I just liked the D&W super stores better.

In Pittsburgh we always shopped in Giant Eagle and especially liked their super stores. Also liked Whole Foods and Trader Joe's in the Burgh, but it was a little hard to get to from our apartment on the North Shore.

Last edited by CFrance; 08-29-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:58 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

We are from Rochester and Buffalo, so we also miss Wegman's. Great company. There is a great story about them. If I remember correctly, as it was a few years ago, Alec Baldwin was on the David Letterman show. Letterman asked him about his mother, and why has he not bought a new house for his Mother and moved her to Beverly Hills....

Baldwin replied that he TRIED to give his mom a new house in L.A., and wanted her to move out there away from the snow, etc. She refused, stating that she would never leave Wegman's.....

What great P.R. for Wegman's...! Afterward, Danny Wegman contacted Baldwin and he was in one of their commercials.

One of the more famous things in Rochester NY, home of Wegman's is the Strong Museum of Play. In there there is a amazing make believe Wegmans with play food, real registers, shopping carts, etc, that the kiddies can shop in anf go through the registers and get a receipt for what they "bought" etc. It is very cool.

Anyway, I love it down here, I do not miss the snow I do miss Wegman's....

Frank
Old 08-30-2018, 07:58 AM
Gold member

Another point about Wegmans. Fortune mag has an annual listing of the top 100 places to work in the USA. Wegman's is a perpetual top company in the listing; number 2 overall in 2017 and 2018. You can really feel the happiness of the employees, which obviously makes the shopping experience memorable.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Wegmans... Ahhhhh, the cheeses. Epoisses, Stinking Bishop, Humboldt Fog, etc.

By the way, our Sam's Club sells Fromager d'Affinois.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
Wegmans... Ahhhhh, the cheeses. Epoisses, Stinking Bishop, Humboldt Fog, etc.

By the way, our Sam's Club sells Fromager d'Affinois.
The Cheese Dept is really the only reason I liked Wegman's at all and they really do treat their employees well. Overall I prefer to work with what's available than stress about what once was. I don't miss Costco either.

I understand the strong feeling's others have for the places they had at there old home. For us this is home and we will make the best out of what is available storewise, it's not like we are suffering.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
The Cheese Dept is really the only reason I liked Wegman's at all and they really do treat their employees well. Overall I prefer to work with what's available than stress about what once was. I don't miss Costco either.

I understand the strong feeling's others have for the places they had at there old home. For us this is home and we will make the best out of what is available storewise, it's not like we are suffering.
I never lived near a Wegmans. My nearest favorite was Fairway. Going to Wegmans was a special trip or a detour on the way to visit someone. I'm reliving fond memories, not stressing or suffering.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:47 AM
Sage

I am not surprised the supermarkets where I came from, did not make the list, so I guess, I won.

I thought Stew Leonards in CT, was a very decent store.

Still waiting for a Traders Joe.

Sine my taste buds are not refined, I,'' deal with it.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 08-30-2018, 12:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I am not surprised the supermarkets where I came from, did not make the list, so I guess, I won.

I thought Stew Leonards in CT, was a very decent store.

Still waiting for a Traders Joe.

Sine my taste buds are not refined, I,'' deal with it.
Ha ha! Pathmark not on the list!!! I remember in the '80s there were never enough carts to go around in Pathmark, and they had posts up right outside the store so you couldn't take the carts to your car!
Old 08-30-2018, 12:42 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Ha ha! Pathmark not on the list!!! I remember in the '80s there were never enough carts to go around in Pathmark, and they had posts up right outside the store so you couldn't take the carts to your car!
HaHa -- Too funny! Pathmark. The only thing it had going for it, IMO, was that it was open 24-hours. But those posts were not to prevent you from taking the carts to your car but to prevent the carts from being stolen. They were valuable to hoarders and those who combed the neighborhoods in search of return deposit cans and bottles. A profitable industry near my old neighborhood. LOL
Old 08-30-2018, 12:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
HaHa -- Too funny! Pathmark. The only thing it had going for it, IMO, was that it was open 24-hours. But those posts were not to prevent you from taking the carts to your car but to prevent the carts from being stolen. They were valuable to hoarders and those who combed the neighborhoods in search of return deposit cans and bottles. A profitable industry near my old neighborhood. LOL
Yes, I knew that was the real reason, but it hurt the customers the most!

I was in there one time, and there were no carts. Here comes a teenage floor-mopper, and he's wheeling his bucket around in a cart! I said "Gimme that cart!!!" He was going to fight me for it, but I won. Which is when I went home and told my husband I was becoming too East Coast aggressive!
Old 08-30-2018, 04:31 PM
Sage

Byerly's in the Twin Cities hit the mark for me, when we lived there years ago. Lund's is another local one that's good as well. Hy Vee is making it's way into more markets but I think only in the midwest. At our house we eat to live, not live to eat.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
I never lived near a Wegmans. My nearest favorite was Fairway. Going to Wegmans was a special trip or a detour on the way to visit someone. I'm reliving fond memories, not stressing or suffering.
I hear you clearly. I would never take a shot at you never ever never. I respect you and love your sense of humor.

I was referring to the complaining about what we don't have instead of being grateful for what we do.

How about the cheese at Wegmans that the show like a Cake. I have no idea what it is but wow it was good.

Again sorry!
Old 08-30-2018, 09:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I hear you clearly. I would never take a shot at you never ever never. I respect you and love your sense of humor.

I was referring to the complaining about what we don't have instead of being grateful for what we do.

How about the cheese at Wegmans that the show like a Cake. I have no idea what it is but wow it was good.

Again sorry!
No offense taken, Nucky. Just splain'n.
Closed Thread

Tags
looooove, supermarket, chains, ten

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.