Ten Best Supermarket Chains in the US

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2018, 11:03 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Wegmans is overpriced and overrated. Publix blows them away. I wonder what Wegmans paid for this review, you guys understand that all these top 10 review sites are a joke right?

PS NY pizza is undercooked droopy slop.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Wegmans is overpriced and overrated. Publix blows them away. I wonder what Wegmans paid for this review, you guys understand that all these top 10 review sites are a joke right?

Holy cow! Next thing you'll say is that Cinderella hooked the prince by showing leg when he put on her shoe.

I think Wegmans must be all that and a bag of chips because anyone who has been in one has nothing but good stuff to say, the heck with the top ten review sites, I believe in word of mouth.

I might make a trip to Wegman's area to see for myself. I enjoy me a good grocery store. But then how would I get all the fresh stuff back to The Villages?

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-31-2018 at 05:45 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Holy cow! Next thing you'll say is that Cinderella hooked the prince by showing leg with he put on her shoe.
It must be true, I read it on the internet.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 08-31-2018, 06:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Disagree

Quote:

Publix does not come close to what is available in a Wegmans. The cheese shop, butcher with prime meats, seafood, salad bars, freshly prepared hot foods, asian bar, freshly made pizza and subs are all items not available at Publix. The bakery and bread shop are far superior to Publix. I never found them tobe over priced. Wegmans is opening stores in NC. I hope they continue further South.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:12 AM
Gold member

Quote:

Tell us how you really feel! By the way, the data comes from Fortune Magazine, not a "top 10 review site". Fortune is generally recognized as a legitimate news and information source, not a joke. They state the following in their top 100 article: "Our list surveys millions of employees in more than 50 countries to better understand why people love their work and workplaces. It audits companies’ benefits and people programs and ensures that every demographic group in an organization rates them with high scores. And it grades companies on six components: values, innovation, financial growth, leadership effectiveness, maximizing human potential, and trust."
Old 08-31-2018, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,932 Times in 2,702 Posts

Have never been to a Wegmans, but based on everything I have read I would like to check one out. Up North in Western Mass we use The Big Y, Trader Joes, and Costco for bulk stuff. We used to use Stop and Shop, but they became a global conglomerate and went way downhill so we switched to Big Y. At the Villages we like Publix way more than Winn Dixxie and would say it compares very favorably with Big Y. I wish there was a golf cart accessable Trader Joes in the Villages.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:30 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Everyone has their Fav chain.

What makes them your Fav???........

Wide Isles
Lighting
Selection
Layout
Prices
Clean

What's important to you??
Old 08-31-2018, 04:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Everyone has their Fav chain.

What makes them your Fav???........

Wide Isles
Lighting
Selection
Layout
Prices
Clean

What's important to you??
All of the above. Especially clean!

When I went back to CT, I went into a Stop and Shop. Compared to Publix, I thought they hadn't paid their electric bill. It was much darker.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 08-31-2018, 07:36 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Holy cow! Next thing you'll say is that Cinderella hooked the prince by showing leg when he put on her shoe.

I think Wegmans must be all that and a bag of chips because anyone who has been in one has nothing but good stuff to say, the heck with the top ten review sites, I believe in word of mouth.

I might make a trip to Wegman's area to see for myself. I enjoy me a good grocery store. But then how would I get all the fresh stuff back to The Villages?

Just kidding, whenever our resident Northeasters start waxing nostalgic about how great everything was up there I get the sudden urge to throw a spanner in the works.

PS Chicago pizza rules
Old 08-31-2018, 08:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

I am from the NE and went to college in Illinois. Honestly, the pizza in Peoria and Chicago was not very good. The doughy deep dish and the squares were not great.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:01 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

This thread reminds me of the old rhyme or song, "Make new friends but keep the Old, one is silver and the other is Gold".

There are things I love and miss from up North, but there are also newer things I love living down here. Why can't someone acknowledge both without sounding like a Hypocrite? We are not.

I like Wegman's. I like Publix here. I am thankful that unlike many parts of the world, we have many places to get good food without any hardship.

I love the Fall up north. I love the Winter here. I miss the abundance of pizza and ice cream places up North. If I had to move back up North I would start missing things from down here.

Getting back to topic, I do think that Wegman's was a bit pricey, but sometimes I think Publix here is also. Generally in life you pay a bit more for amenities or extras. These higher tier stores carry more inventory, more choices, etc.

In the end, I think it is great that we have choices.....we can shop at Publix here, or to save money you can go to Walmart, Sav-a-Lot, Aldi's, Winn-Dixie, or a host of other options. What a great country we live in!

I think it is funny that up north we used to struggle pushing shopping carts through the snow and ice and potholes....and down here they actually ask if they can push your cart out to your car and load your bags in your trunk....THAT is what we needed up North!

We are all very blessed.....Frank
Old 08-31-2018, 11:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Just kidding, whenever our resident Northeasters start waxing nostalgic about how great everything was up there I get the sudden urge to throw a spanner in the works.

PS Chicago pizza rules
Chicago pizza rules -- you got that right. If Lou Malnati's opened a location in The Villages, the lines would be out the door I tell ya!
Old 08-31-2018, 11:18 PM
Sage

I noticed Hy-Vee was ranked #10. Hy-Vee's are all over Iowa where I grew up. Fortunately my dad only lives about 1 mile from a very nice Hy-Vee store, which is a pleasure to shop at and very convenient for him to shop at. His credit union even has a branch inside his local store.

Hy-Vee's slogan for many years has been: "Hy-Vee, where there's a helpful smile in every aisle."

Tags
looooove, supermarket, chains, ten

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.