Gold member
Default Ten Worst Places to Live in Florida & Most high crime cities in Florida

For the 10 worst places to live in Florida see link below

These Are The 10 Worst Places To Live In Florida For 2018 - RoadSnacks

10 most dangerous cities in Florida

These Are The 10 Most Dangerous Cities In Florida For 2018 - RoadSnacks
Old 01-01-2018, 01:24 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

I agree with their best and safest choices at the tail end of the second article. I especially love Longboat Key, Palm Beach and Key Biscayne.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 01-17-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

The main thing to learn is, don't live near Lake Okeechobee or in the area of the Everglades. That takes care of the top 4 and the suburbs of Miami, Opa Locka, Homestead (a military town) and a couple of east coast towns, Cocoa, Ft. Pierce and Palatka. Last time I took the Autotrain we were delayed hours because we hit two people on the tracks high on drugs in Palatka. If looking just at crime, Panama City Beach is a big spring break town, a lot of transients. Lake City is where I-10 and I-75 meet, they probably have nothing for the youth to do, other than take meth, it's everywhere now.

The best place I found as far as cities go, would be Pensacola. It's in the panhandle, out of the way of the winter tourist, actually summer is the season. The average summer tourist is from the lower conservative states such as Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Kentucky, etc. There are some winter tourist, usually Canadian because 50 degree highs aren't bad for them and they can find bargain prices. The permanent residents are many retired military since Pensacola is home to Naval Aviation. Even though it's a military town, most of the service men are commissioned officers making top pay and usually college educated.

I lived in Pensacola a while back for six years and it was a great place, and since then they've added a civic center. Big time shows can now appear where before it was a one hour drive to Mobile, and that isn't that greatest place to visit. Beaches as nice or nicer than Clearwater. Of course the only negative is it seems to be in the hurricane target area more times than not. I went through only one while there. Home prices aren't bad, you'll find stick built with brick veneer is the main building style. Swimming pools don't have birdcages, but fenced in yard is required if you have a pool. Vinyl pools are the most popular and are about 1/3 of the price you would pay in TV. Golf courses aren't so many, most are very cheap or public. There were two malls, but one has closed and one was remodeled, oddly the nicer newer mall was the one that closed. I found nightlife and restaurants were good. It's a Jimmy Buffet type lifestyle.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:01 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Leesburg is #12 on both lists from a previous rank of 22 and 18. Can TV help Leesburg turn this around with builds starting in around five years near Leesburg?

Last edited by twoplanekid; 01-17-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Leesburg is #12 on the list from a previous rank of 22. Can TV help Leesburg turn this around with builds starting in around five years near Leesburg?
One of our first things to write about waaaaaay back in College;

Do slums make slummy people or do slummy people make slums.

Imagine THAT!
Old 01-17-2018, 09:20 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
One of our first things to write about waaaaaay back in College;

Do slums make slummy people or do slummy people make slums.

Imagine THAT!
I was thinking more about increases in employment and Villagers helping neighbors.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
I was thinking more about increases in employment and Villagers helping neighbors.
Many people who work in businesses engendered by this larger population live in Leesburg. I am not sure how the Villages could help neighbors in a way that would decrease crime.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:43 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Many people who work in businesses engendered by this larger population live in Leesburg. I am not sure how the Villages could help neighbors in a way that would decrease crime.
Working with the local youth to help them become good, great citizens!

A quote from the Villages working with Leesburg

"“Gary Lester, on behalf of The Villages, stated that much of how The Villages was developed has to do with the people of Leesburg. Many people from Leesburg work in The Villages and The Villages are customers in the City of Leesburg. The big difference now is the direct impact of the expanded tax base.

For example, The Villages will be paying school taxes, but put no children in the schools.
They are also going to be bringing a transportation system and a use of multi-mobile trails which will lessen the impact on City and County roads, as well as being good for the environment. Mr. Lester pointed out that they are also very proud of what they are doing with the water conservation lines.
The conservation program and the use of dual water lines to every home, and the extensive use of reuse of storm water and retention ponds, has made The Villages what the state of Florida lifts up as the gold standard for conserving water and preserving our aquifer.

Mr. Lester also wanted to point out an intangible. For the first time, Leesburg will have villagers as citizens in the community and we will be blessed by it. There will be people involved in the churches, in charity, in the libraries. One example, is Sumter County schools. Wildwood Elementary School is one that has struggled for many years. It used to be a D school and has really has a tough time. Mr. Lester spoke with John Temple,
the principal of Wildwood Elementary School, and was told that the school is now a B school and that they are striving for an A. Mr. Temple told Mr. Lester that he gives a lot of credit to the teachers, parents, and to the kids themselves, but Mr. Temples also talked about the difference that the volunteers from The Villages have made in the Wildwood Elementary School.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Point well taken.

I do not even know what a "slummy" person is.

I think of fortunate or unfortunate mostly. Unfortunate can become bitter at times, but "slummy" people, to me, is well represented within the Villages, living in really nice houses.

Last edited by Bucco; 01-17-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, cities, places, live, worst

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.