Tennessee Promise: Offering free community college to all students

Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2015, 03:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
If the question is how do you prepare kids for high paying jobs then a reasonable answer is to provide them with a free education.
I don't think it's "reasonable" at all. Why force your neighbors to pay for your children's education? You brought those children into the world, you pay for them, including their education.

Many couples have chosen to not reproduce. Why confiscate their wealth to pay for your choices?

Seems to me, if we're going to give free education to people, there are more pressing priorities than education. Shouldn't we first give free food to everyone? Then shelter? Then perhaps free medical care? How about transportation to and from college? If kids can't get to class, the free education really isn't of any value. If their tummies are growling and they can't concentrate, then that free education isn't very helpful.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:07 PM
Sage

Why does that education need to be free? It really is available to anyone smart enough that is willing to work hard and stick their future necks out and obtain student loans. And the less fortunate you are the more money is available to you - but, it probably won't be handed to you a silver platter. You have to work hard in high school than advocate for yourself to obtain the grants, scholarships, and loans available.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B767drvr View Post
I don't think it's "reasonable" at all. Why force your neighbors to pay for your children's education? You brought those children into the world, you pay for them, including their education.

Many couples have chosen to not reproduce. Why confiscate their wealth to pay for your choices?
Your last sentence could apply to so many things !

"Why confiscate their wealth to pay for your choices?"

Good or bad choices both !
Old 01-13-2015, 03:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags123 View Post
Your last sentence could apply to so many things !

"Why confiscate their wealth to pay for your choices?"

Good or bad choices both !
EXACTLY! Minimalist government! Fire, police, armed forces and the minimum to regulate society. Time to slash the budget!!
Old 01-13-2015, 04:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Social security and medicare are the biggest drivers of the federal budget. Social security became law in 1935 (boomers definitely not to blame - weren't even born yet.) Medicare became law in 1966 (boomers were children - not the politicians that voted for it.)

If you Google the Greediest generation the results will point to the Boomers and not the parents of the Boomers who are called the Greatest Generation as someone else suggested earlier.

Maybe wording the sentence that way makes the point I was trying to make.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:24 PM
Eternal Member

[QUOTE=B767drvr;995010]I don't think it's "reasonable" at all. Why force your neighbors to pay for your children's education? You brought those children into the world, you pay for them, including their education.

Many couples have chosen to not reproduce. Why confiscate their wealth to pay for your choices? QUOTE]

Have you looked at your tax bill? You ARE paying a fair amount for school tax. No one in The Villages has school aged children yet that is part of our property tax bill.

There are only a tiny handful of states that give seniors a break on school tax.

No state gives a break on school taxes to childless people who are not seniors.

Progressive countries provide for their children and we should do more in the USA for our future generations.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:38 PM
Veteran member

[quote=Sandtrap328;995075]
Quote:

Many couples have chosen to not reproduce. Why confiscate their wealth to pay for your choices? QUOTE]

Have you looked at your tax bill? You ARE paying a fair amount for school tax. No one in The Villages has school aged children yet that is part of our property tax bill.

There are only a tiny handful of states that give seniors a break on school tax.

No state gives a break on school taxes to childless people who are not seniors.

Progressive countries provide for their children and we should do more in the USA for our future generations.
i could debate a long time on your example of school taxes but that is not the issue.

Check please...please check...those "progressive" countries you speak of.....do not have our military budget (If you can convince them to meet our load in policing the world, then that would be great).....those "progressive" countries pay so much more than us in taxes.....those "progressive" countries of which you speak do not, not even close, have the cost of education that the USA does....those "progressive" countries of which you speak do not even come close to spending the money we do in a stiuation of global disaster..... we are a bit different and if you are to compare, please...please...check and allow that comparison for debate !!!

Your words and those of those who propose this, are rosy, sweet sounding and that is it......."Idealism is fine, but as it approaches reality, the costs become prohibitive."
William F. Buckley, Jr.

It would be wonderful if we could afford all these nice sounding idealistic ideas BUT WE CANNOT. We seem to always forget that with each thing we desire to have and purchase that sounds good....there always comes a bill.

We keep comparing ourselves to those "progressive" countries without really comparing them.

PS...One thing you are correct about......"we should do more in the USA for our future generations" and I think a great start would be allowing them not to be hamstrung with our foolish spending.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I guess I was looking for some college plan that would give the jobskills needed today for high paying jobs and maybe recreate life as it was when I was young. It doesn't seem as hopeful for young people. Does it?
I like this part of your post, in particular.

When we, the current citizens of this nation, saddle future generations with the obligation to pay off $18+ TRILLION of debt (debt that WE accumulated, not them!) then it's quite obvious we've exchanged their future for our current.

Many of us oppose this HUGE increase in debt for this very reason. Unfortunately, a majority of the electorate wants the "good times" to keep rolling (as long as they don't have to pick up the tab!) Eventually the hangover wears off and these same people begin questioning why it's so hard for their kids to get ahead.

A balanced budget amendment seems obvious, but as a nation we can't even agree on a timeline to stop borrowing money. 10 years from now? 20 years from now? When does the insanity stop?
Old 01-13-2015, 05:54 PM
Veteran member

Does anyone who is proposing this free education remember this...

"National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform (often called Bowles-Simpson/Simpson-Bowles from the names of co-chairs Alan Simpson and Erskine Bowles; or NCFRR) is a Presidential Commission created in 2010 by President Barack Obama to identify "policies to improve the fiscal situation in the medium term and to achieve fiscal sustainability over the long run".

National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This became so political but was simply discarded because it was a tough pill to swallow. It laid it out and nobody liked what they heard, yet you still hear those who worry about our future refer to it.

I mention it because it seems we are once again on the trail of spending to accomodate something, although I am not sure what that is......we have lots of work to do. For example...

"One of the most encouraging aspects of the U.S. economic recovery is the halo effect on manufacturing, which accounts for 1 in 6 private-sector jobs. Yet a new study is dismissing that renaissance as little more than a "myth."

New study paints bleak picture of manufacturing rebound

We better turn our eyes and ears to our economy and our spending on the internal issues.

This report by the way....from Information Technology and Innovation Foundation
Old 01-13-2015, 06:15 PM
Sage

More than one in five US workers is employed in just 10 occupations, a new report from the US government shows.

Retail salespersons, 4.48 million workers earning $25,370
Cashiers 3.34 million workers earning $20,420
Food prep and serving staff, 3.02 million workers earning $18,880
General office clerk, 2.83 million working earning $29,990
Registered nurses, 2.66 million workers earning $68,910
Waiters and waitresses, 2.40 million workers earning $20,880
Customer service representatives, 2.39 million workers earning $33,370
Laborers, and freight and material movers, 2.28 million workers earning $26,690
Secretaries and admins (not legal or medical), 2.16 million workers earning $34,000
Janitors and cleaners (not maids), 2.10 million workers earning, $25,140

I'm trying to find out most Americans do for a living.
What jobs need people.
What education people need for the job.
Do you want to help?
Old 01-13-2015, 07:00 PM
Gold member

It should be left up to the States and not the Feds!!!!!
Old 01-13-2015, 07:36 PM
Gold member

Quote:
We share the same values. My children do to.

If the question is how do you prepare kids for high paying jobs then a reasonable answer is to provide them with a free education. Their higher salaries will be taxed and they will also contribute to Social Security. The problem is how do you tie that to their first 12 years of schooling so they are moving towards that goal and not looking at a life working for minimal wages.

I don't know what the answer is but I'm trying to find out.
PARENTS, and ideally two parents, are the ones who responsible for seeing that "their first 12 years of schooling is tied to …moving towards that goal" of making higher salaries to be higher income earners who will pay more into the taxes needed for SS, medicare, and all the other programs.

It takes parents to bring them up with a work ethic and long-term goals. But many kids are raising themselves with no adult supervision and they do not have a decent/safe home life to go home to.

THAT is the problem and nobody in the higher levels of leadership talks about it (except some church leaders, but they are vilified and scorned by the leftist "intellectual" crowd, for teaching against simply aborting them to solve some of these problems!).

Intact family units having dedicated, tuned in and loving parents are what kids need to be focused on a future other than minimum wage, fast food jobs or having no job.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:50 PM

I would rather pay for their education then have to pay to support them for the rest of my life.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbym View Post
I would rather pay for their education then have to pay to support them for the rest of my life.
Why should you pay for EITHER?
Old 01-13-2015, 08:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbym View Post
That's what I was thinking. I did a good job for everyone raising my sons or maybe it's all their doing. They are around 30 yrs old making 6 figures and paying all kinds of taxes.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.