Tennessee Promise: Offering free community college to all students

Closed Thread
Old 01-15-2015, 09:13 AM
Veteran member

For "continuing education" on the subject, I offer this link to an editorial. It is well written and I hope many read it, ESPECIALLY the first few paragraphs which, I think logically explain possible outcomes of the plan. I will not quote from it but hope some read it.

McArdle: Obama's college plan empowers the same old elites | The Salt Lake Tribune
Old 01-15-2015, 09:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member

What is social conservative about advocating "free" education for everyone? Life is much easier today than when I was young. My father worked two jobs and my mother worked fulltime, also. I worked every summer going through school. Paid for college. Try and get a young person to mow your yard, or spread dirt, or wash windows during summer break. fugitaboudit.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:44 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
What is social conservative about advocating "free" education for everyone? Life is much easier today than when I was young. My father worked two jobs and my mother worked fulltime, also. I worked every summer going through school. Paid for college. Try and get a young person to mow your yard, or spread dirt, or wash windows during summer break. fugitaboudit.
Boy, this brings back memories and would like to add a remark to this thread.

I worked every summer on the crew that landscaped and maintained the grounds at a country club. I learned so much in those years from the guys who I helped in clearing brush etc. Things you just cannot learn in college. Each year when I went back to school, I just felt "smarter" because of that summer job.

Life is a process and we need to allow it to happen with a plan and you learn in so many ways from so many "unintended teachers"
Old 01-15-2015, 11:10 AM
Email Reported As Spam

This womb to tomb life bubble has got to stop. Too many people have never had or lost the skill sets to get through life on their own. The graduation rate for community college is very low and those going to community college would be better off finding a good paying job b applying for certification and training with software training with data companies like Adobe Google, etc .

HERE is the big story on Tennessee Promise made by the federal government.
Tennessee funds free community college expenses from proceeds strictly from their LOTTERY.

the federal government said it would model their program after the Tennessee program.

P.S.
For those who view social security and medicare as entitlement program and I don't remember that all beneficiaries had skin in both games and some got skinned really good

We have the federal government doing bailouts and forgiveness programs for students who took out loans that can't or won't repay because they have low paying jobs or no job at all
Old 01-15-2015, 07:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
This womb to tomb life bubble has got to stop. Too many people have never had or lost the skill sets to get through life on their own. The graduation rate for community college is very low and those going to community college would be better off finding a good paying job b applying for certification and training with software training with data companies like Adobe Google, etc .

HERE is the big story on Tennessee Promise made by the federal government.
Tennessee funds free community college expenses from proceeds strictly from their LOTTERY.

the federal government said it would model their program after the Tennessee program.

P.S.
For those who view social security and medicare as entitlement program and I don't remember that all beneficiaries had skin in both games and some got skinned really good

We have the federal government doing bailouts and forgiveness programs for students who took out loans that can't or won't repay because they have low paying jobs or no job at all
You are on target RUBICON, and yet here on TOTV, people just support whatever is easy. This proposal will never ever get passed, and those who propose it know it, BUT this appeases a segment of voters and thus it seems ok to them to put it out there to show they care.

How any reasonably intelligent person who is even slightly aware of our debt and budget cannot see the direction we are going. The fiber of the country is being dissolved and instead of resisting, it seems like we just line up and support whatever is said as long as it fits our ideology or what we think is our ideology.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags123 View Post

How any reasonably intelligent person who is even slightly aware of our debt and budget cannot see the direction we are going. The fiber of the country is being dissolved and instead of resisting, it seems like we just line up and support whatever is said as long as it fits our ideology or what we think is our ideology.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.