And the TESLA Cybertruck slowly disappears

Closed Thread
Old 10-16-2021, 07:57 AM

I plunked down $100 to simply show my encouragement for the idea of an electric truck. I am a little surprised how Tesla will not be the segment leader. I'm also doubtful they will ever produce the Class 8 Big Rig they've promised. My employer is one of the few companies that placed a sizeable pre-order for these trucks. A truck such as this works well for local, in-town work, but longer hauls on pure battery power aren't realistic.

As for the Tesla Cyber truck, I had my doubts this was a serious final product design. I do expect a refresh that will be more in line with realistic consumers' expectations.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:05 AM
Sage

Toyota doesn’t make more of them because the sales of the Prius have been declining for 5 or 6 years. The hybrid RAV4 outsells it. There is more demand for small SUVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
I own a Tesla and no problems with charging. Anyway, the Volt is no longer being made. I own a Prius which gets over 50 miles to the gallon, my third Prius. Tried to get a plug in but cannot find them. That kind of car, runs on electric with gas back up is the best for the transition of ice to electric and cannot understand why, at least with the Prius, they do not make more of them.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Did you follow the link to the Los Angeles Times in the RT article where the story was originated? No you didn't, you were only trying to make it sound like a Putin generated fake news.

What difference does it make if it is federal, state or local tax money????? It's still $4.9 Billion.

Added: After more thought on this topic. What difference does it make if the article is from 2015, does it make it less truthful? That $4.9 Billion was worth a lot more then than now.
The government should not be giving tax money to private businesses. If it takes public money subsidies for a business to succeed then they have a failed business plan.

And again you are wrong. I did read the LA Times article which is where many of the details of the locales which granted the breaks are detailed.

As to your 'further thought'. It makes a difference whether the federal or state/local governments supplied the breaks because there is a recurring theme in certain people that the Federal govt is evil and while local government is of the people. So when you bash a program stating the Federal govt did it, I see exactly that mindset. I also happen to believe you should state facts, real facts, not wrong information. Such an approach may not be fashionable to some in recent years.

I eagerly await your posting about how it is wrong for the govt to support private businesses giving figures for how much the oil and gas industry has received over the years in both tax credits, investment credits, nearly free access to public land, discounted drilling rights... Oil and gas got over 5 Trillion, with a T worldwide in 2015 Or even how much local govt in Sumter county has spent supporting the Morse family in their business expansions. Or how much the state of Wisconsin spent to entice a Chinese company to move there, with a big political boost from he who shall not be named. Or the nearly 9 billion given Boeing just by the state of Washington

Here is a list of the top 99 companies receiving subsidies. The list includes many who apparently, in your words, have a failed business plan, like Ford, GM. Toyota, Nike, every major gas company, Disney, Intel, IBM and don't forget Koch industries
Old 10-16-2021, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windguy View Post
The fossil-fuel industry thanks you.
Teslas in Florida run on natural gas and coal.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad-tv View Post
I think it’s the other way around there’s only 130,000 f150s on reserve/preordered and 1.3 million cyber trucks reserved/ preordered that’s a 10x difference. Granted you only put a small deposit down and it’s refunded if you change your mind (at least for Tesla, not sure about Ford ) . And Tesla has been making EVs for about 10years and is the world leader in ev . Ford has a lot of catching up to do and a lot of hurdles to clear . I like both companies and lean more towards a f150 way down the road. I’m happy all these ice vehicles will stop being made one day (way down the road) and driving a ev is a dream .
Jim Farley is great and a visionary but light years behind Elon
First isn't always best in the long run. You have to keep supporting all your mistakes, while the late starters take advantage of the good and skip the bad. But, you could very well be right. I just think the looks of the Tesla truck are too much for pickup truck people in general, but they may tone it down as it gets closer to reality.
It is a fun time to be watching a revolution like this. Lots of people in denial, but I don't think it's stoppable. Personally I was rooting for the hydrogen fuel cell approach, but that seems to have disappeared
Old 10-16-2021, 08:18 AM
Sage

And some nuclear and some renewables. But, as I have explained to you in the past, the energy used per mile is typically about 3x less with electrics than gas cars. Power plants convert natural gas and coal to electricity much more efficiently than gas cars use gasoline when you consider the amount of energy used per mile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd2918 View Post
Teslas in Florida run on natural gas and coal.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:25 AM
Sage

Fuel cells are not gone. There are a couple of fuel cell cars that are available, only in CA I believe. It is likely that it will stay a niche market because of the lack of refueling infrastructure and the cost of building infrastructure for distributing hydrogen. It is probably best for trucks, busses, or other vehicles that come back to a central facility each day that can provide refueling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdulej View Post
First isn't always best in the long run. You have to keep supporting all your mistakes, while the late starters take advantage of the good and skip the bad. But, you could very well be right. I just think the looks of the Tesla truck are too much for pickup truck people in general, but they may tone it down as it gets closer to reality.
It is a fun time to be watching a revolution like this. Lots of people in denial, but I don't think it's stoppable. Personally I was rooting for the hydrogen fuel cell approach, but that seems to have disappeared

Last edited by biker1; 10-16-2021 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:09 AM
Sage

The Model Y started deliveries about 6 months ahead of their announced schedule. Other Models have been delayed. Manufacturing at scale is difficult and not all plans stay on schedule. Please tell us about your inside information that led you to conclude their next car will be $35K instead of $25K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
Has learned well from Microsoft and PT Barnum to over promise and under deliver until such time as he decides to actually manufacture. No car or truck by an American manufacturer has taken less than four or five years to actually get out of the plant. Even the Japanese take at least 3 years. And somehow I think it's always 10 or 50% more than what they promise. The model 3 has gone up significantly in price and musk is promising a $25,000 car which will probably be $35,000 by the time they start producing
Old 10-16-2021, 09:12 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

There have been a lot of people who have lost a lot of money, and are pretty vocal & irate about it, trying to constantly bet against Musk. Fortunately for myself (and many others), in the last number of years I've been on the other side. Given that the F-150 has been the #1 selling model for oodles of years now, I certainly am not betting against Elon this time either, in being able to gain significant market share with this truck (should he choose to build it).
Old 10-16-2021, 09:39 AM
Default Get in Thouch with current forces...

I've been searching for a New backup car for a while. Learned some stuff about cars/trucks and future plans.

1. You'll be hard pressed to find a $25K car with 32mpg. When you go to a dealer, the website price and reality are wide apart. I'm used to hagelling Dealer add ons, Value added crap. Jenkens of Leesburg as a line Item called: Market adjustment. $3K A $1K charge for window tinting and exterior sealent with Lifetime warranty. I think that what the Factory calls ClearCoat. Ah... just be honest and call it all Profit.

2. Used cars. $20k for a 4 to 5 year old car with 60 to 70K mies and out of factory warranty.

3. Trucks... forget about it. The new Ford Maverick sports 40mpg. Oh wait.... they're having some issues with the Fed cause no test truck has reached that yet. Ads say, $19.9k No ff-ing way you're out the door under $24K before taxes, License, Fleas.

Hyuindai announced they are taking Chips in house. Don't blame the Chinese. They import most of their auto chips (made cheaper elsewhere). Their auto production is also hurting.

No dealer to dealer transfer deals. That's where the dealer you're talking to doesn't have the car on the lot but says you can get it by next Friday... for a Fee. All inventories are short.

Other stuff. Ford is out of the "car" market, except the E-Mustang. Announced two all Electric factories. Tennessee and Kentucky. Nothing but E-Mustang/trucks/Suvs.

Hyundai announced 22 new models by 2024. All Electric, no hybrids (gas motor). 21 of them SUVs. They have an E-truck on the market now. Santa Cruz. Over priced, for me, and still short legs (distance).

Charge time will be shortened by higher amped charges. Mostly found on the Interstate/higways, big box stores. I agree with the home amp limits. Something has a change for fast charging at home.

I also put down $1K deposit for the tesla Model 3 when announed around $30k. Debuted North of $40k. Depost returned.

Similar to TVs. Everytime the model I'm looking at comes close to my budget, the "standard" changes and prices remain the same or increase.

Reality.

Carl
Old 10-16-2021, 10:06 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by askcarl View Post
I've been searching for a New backup car for a while. Learned some stuff about cars/trucks and future plans.

1. You'll be hard pressed to find a $25K car with 32mpg. When you go to a dealer, the website price and reality are wide apart. I'm used to hagelling Dealer add ons, Value added crap. Jenkens of Leesburg as a line Item called: Market adjustment. $3K A $1K charge for window tinting and exterior sealent with Lifetime warranty. I think that what the Factory calls ClearCoat. Ah... just be honest and call it all Profit.

2. Used cars. $20k for a 4 to 5 year old car with 60 to 70K mies and out of factory warranty.

3. Trucks... forget about it. The new Ford Maverick sports 40mpg. Oh wait.... they're having some issues with the Fed cause no test truck has reached that yet. Ads say, $19.9k No ff-ing way you're out the door under $24K before taxes, License, Fleas.

Hyuindai announced they are taking Chips in house. Don't blame the Chinese. They import most of their auto chips (made cheaper elsewhere). Their auto production is also hurting.

No dealer to dealer transfer deals. That's where the dealer you're talking to doesn't have the car on the lot but says you can get it by next Friday... for a Fee. All inventories are short.

Other stuff. Ford is out of the "car" market, except the E-Mustang. Announced two all Electric factories. Tennessee and Kentucky. Nothing but E-Mustang/trucks/Suvs.

Hyundai announced 22 new models by 2024. All Electric, no hybrids (gas motor). 21 of them SUVs. They have an E-truck on the market now. Santa Cruz. Over priced, for me, and still short legs (distance).

Charge time will be shortened by higher amped charges. Mostly found on the Interstate/higways, big box stores. I agree with the home amp limits. Something has a change for fast charging at home.

I also put down $1K deposit for the tesla Model 3 when announed around $30k. Debuted North of $40k. Depost returned.

Similar to TVs. Everytime the model I'm looking at comes close to my budget, the "standard" changes and prices remain the same or increase.

Reality.

Carl
Reality
3. Maverick hybrid XL $18.7 out the door, taxes and fees inc.
A-plan. Should be delivered next month.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Do you really think the can compete with Ford lightning. Other than look at me I got Tesla truck.
I think numbers wise it will blow the F-150 off the map. Charging the F-150 on a road trip is no picnic. I’ve owned plenty of loaded up or totally stripped F-150’s throughout my life and was never disappointed once.

I’m on the 20 yard line of life heading for the end zone hoping for overtime and have decided to put a little zip in my transportation. The Cybertruck should do the trick.

By the way the Cybertruck Website is back. Different but back. A whole lot of hubbub over NOTHING.

If I decided on a Ford, it would have a gas ⛽️ engine in it.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Tesla removes Cybertruck specs and prices from its website - Electrek

how you slowly get musked by a market manipulator. . . . .
the latest quarterly investors meeting pushed the delivery date out another year

just another announcement which will never happen. . .
I am with you. Musk makes promise after promise after promise and never delivers. He is one guy in an office just sending out press releases and people just throw their money at him. What a waste. He has never fulfilled one single promise that he has made.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipd411 View Post
I am with you. Musk makes promise after promise after promise and never delivers. He is one guy in an office just sending out press releases and people just throw their money at him. What a waste. He has never fulfilled one single promise that he has made.

Never delivers??
There gonna hit a million cars this year and fsd is slowly being released

I will agree he’s overly optimistic and speaks pre maturely about released dates. I don’t know if he’s got a method to his madness but sales only go up so I guess he’s doing good?

He’s never fulfilled one single promise????? Give us some examples please. And explain how people are wasting their money and throwing it at him??? Tesla is the best investment I ever made .

You must share all this new info with us all. Maybe I should sell my Tesla and all my stock ASAP!!!
Old 10-16-2021, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
And again you are wrong. I did read the LA Times article which is where many of the details of the locales which granted the breaks are detailed.

As to your 'further thought'. It makes a difference whether the federal or state/local governments supplied the breaks because there is a recurring theme in certain people that the Federal govt is evil and while local government is of the people. So when you bash a program stating the Federal govt did it, I see exactly that mindset. I also happen to believe you should state facts, real facts, not wrong information. Such an approach may not be fashionable to some in recent years.

I eagerly await your posting about how it is wrong for the govt to support private businesses giving figures for how much the oil and gas industry has received over the years in both tax credits, investment credits, nearly free access to public land, discounted drilling rights... Oil and gas got over 5 Trillion, with a T worldwide in 2015 Or even how much local govt in Sumter county has spent supporting the Morse family in their business expansions. Or how much the state of Wisconsin spent to entice a Chinese company to move there, with a big political boost from he who shall not be named. Or the nearly 9 billion given Boeing just by the state of Washington

Here is a list of the top 99 companies receiving subsidies. The list includes many who apparently, in your words, have a failed business plan, like Ford, GM. Toyota, Nike, every major gas company, Disney, Intel, IBM and don't forget Koch industries
When federal and state governments make more on gallon of gas than the companies producing it, then they will give all sorts of tax breaks to keep them in business.
So the gold mine still produces.
Closed Thread

Tags
slowly, investors, announcement, year, date

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.