Thanks to those who answered the call of service during or after 9/11

Closed Thread
Old 09-11-2019, 03:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts
Default Thanks to those who answered the call of service during or after 9/11

9/11: Remembering Those Lost 18 Years Ago - The New York Times September 11 attacks - Wikipedia

Thanks to all the first responders who were involved in dealing with the three 9/11 attacks. And those who joined various military services or first responder groups after that terrible event.

I remember being in disbelief shortly after on the 9/11/2001 Tuesday when this happened when I was volunteering at East Lake Community Library in Palm Harbor with the Library Director and many other volunteers there. The same kind of re-action continued when I was volunteering at Palm Harbor Library on that Saturday after 9/11. Many still could not comprehend it.

It was helpful though to be around a lot of people also dealing with this back then a these two Palm Harbor, Florida public libraries. Many of them were or had been to New York City.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:40 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,611 Times in 1,760 Posts

I used to travel on international singles group trips. One gentleman who I got to know as he went on several of the trips was a (medically) retired NYC policeman who had served at the scene. I heard about it firsthand from him. It was horrible and tragic in many ways.

That morning after a sleepless night I had decided to break up with my girlfriend that very day as the relationship was very difficult and stressing me out. I was in CA and saw a picture of the first plane hit on my computer monitor early in the morning as I was just starting to drink my coffee. It was surrealistic and really did not register for a few minutes. Then it did! My son soon came over and we watched the news all day long. I spoke with my girlfriend on the phone for several hours during all this and she wanted to give it another try. I figured given the circumstances we could wait for a while to break up which we eventually did.

That day the skies were clearer and bluer than I could ever remember seeing them. That is what I most remember about 9/11. The occasional exceptionally clear day brings back the memory.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 09-11-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I used to travel on international singles group trips. One gentleman who I got to know as he went on several of the trips was a (medically) retired NYC policeman who had served at the scene. I heard about it firsthand from him. It was horrible and tragic in many ways.

That morning after a sleepless night I had decided to break up with my girlfriend that very day as the relationship was very difficult and stressing me out. I was in CA and saw a picture of the first plane hit on my computer monitor early in the morning as I was just starting to drink my coffee. It was surrealistic and really did not register for a few minutes. Then it did! My son soon came over and we watched the news all day long. I spoke with my girlfriend on the phone for several hours during all this and she wanted to give it another try. I figured given the circumstances we could wait for a while to break up which we eventually did.

That day the skies were clearer and bluer than I could ever remember seeing them. That is what I most remember about 9/11. The occasional exceptionally clear day brings back the memory.
These events do bring back memories-- good and bad. People did seem to pull together after 9/11 for a while.
Closed Thread

Tags
9/11, library, palm, volunteering, harbor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.