Thanks to those who answered the call of service during or after 9/11

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 09-11-2019, 03:32 PM
Sage

Default Thanks to those who answered the call of service during or after 9/11

9/11: Remembering Those Lost 18 Years Ago - The New York Times September 11 attacks - Wikipedia

Thanks to all the first responders who were involved in dealing with the three 9/11 attacks. And those who joined various military services or first responder groups after that terrible event.

I remember being in disbelief shortly after on the 9/11/2001 Tuesday when this happened when I was volunteering at East Lake Community Library in Palm Harbor with the Library Director and many other volunteers there. The same kind of re-action continued when I was volunteering at Palm Harbor Library on that Saturday after 9/11. Many still could not comprehend it.

It was helpful though to be around a lot of people also dealing with this back then a these two Palm Harbor, Florida public libraries. Many of them were or had been to New York City.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:40 PM
Sage

Location: NJ, NY, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NM, CA, ID and finally FL.

I used to travel on international singles group trips. One gentleman who I got to know as he went on several of the trips was a (medically) retired NYC policeman who had served at the scene. I heard about it firsthand from him. It was horrible and tragic in many ways.

That morning after a sleepless night I had decided to break up with my girlfriend that very day as the relationship was very difficult and stressing me out. I was in CA and saw a picture of the first plane hit on my computer monitor early in the morning as I was just starting to drink my coffee. It was surrealistic and really did not register for a few minutes. Then it did! My son soon came over and we watched the news all day long. I spoke with my girlfriend on the phone for several hours during all this and she wanted to give it another try. I figured given the circumstances we could wait for a while to break up which we eventually did.

That day the skies were clearer and bluer than I could ever remember seeing them. That is what I most remember about 9/11. The occasional exceptionally clear day brings back the memory.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 09-11-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2019, 06:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I used to travel on international singles group trips. One gentleman who I got to know as he went on several of the trips was a (medically) retired NYC policeman who had served at the scene. I heard about it firsthand from him. It was horrible and tragic in many ways.

That morning after a sleepless night I had decided to break up with my girlfriend that very day as the relationship was very difficult and stressing me out. I was in CA and saw a picture of the first plane hit on my computer monitor early in the morning as I was just starting to drink my coffee. It was surrealistic and really did not register for a few minutes. Then it did! My son soon came over and we watched the news all day long. I spoke with my girlfriend on the phone for several hours during all this and she wanted to give it another try. I figured given the circumstances we could wait for a while to break up which we eventually did.

That day the skies were clearer and bluer than I could ever remember seeing them. That is what I most remember about 9/11. The occasional exceptionally clear day brings back the memory.
These events do bring back memories-- good and bad. People did seem to pull together after 9/11 for a while.

Tags
9/11, library, palm, volunteering, harbor