Thanksgiving: The Truth

Closed Thread
Old 11-19-2022, 12:45 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

According to this they had a three day feast!

"The holiday dates back to November 1621, when the newly arrived Pilgrims and the Wampanoag Indians gathered at Plymouth for an autumn harvest feast, an event regarded as America’s “first Thanksgiving.”

While no records exist of the exact bill of fare, the Pilgrim chronicler Edward Winslow noted in his journal that the colony’s governor, William Bradford, sent four men on a “fowling” mission in preparation for the three-day event.

At the first Thanksgiving, colonists were likely outnumbered more than two to one by the Native Americans in attendance. Winslow writes: “many of the Indians coming amongst us, and amongst the rest their greatest king Massasoit, with some ninety men.” In fact, the Indigenous people at the feast would have been familiar with the tradition of “thanksgiving” since it was central to their regular spiritual practices—to give thanks for natural bounty.

The preceding winter had been a harsh one for the colonists. Seventy-eight percent of the women who had traveled on the Mayflower had perished that winter, leaving only around 50 colonists to attend the first Thanksgiving. According to eyewitness accounts, among the pilgrims, there were 22 men, just four women and over 25 children and teenagers.

What Was Eaten at the First Thanksgiving? - HISTORY

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 11-19-2022, 12:53 PM
Platinum member

Hope the Yankees can sign Judge
Old 11-19-2022, 01:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

personally, i used to love listening to Rush's version of the Thanksgiving tale every year
Old 11-19-2022, 01:37 PM

PHP Code:
[PHP
[/PHP]
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Yep. Like I said, war has winners and losers. Our ancestors didn't always win-----can anyone spell "George Armstrong Custer"????

I knew this photo would be handy someday. This is at Little Big Horn, it is where he fell, I think he is buried at West Point.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	CACF0E02-088F-44BE-A3D1-011DFE685DAF.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	95824  
Old 11-19-2022, 01:55 PM

Thanks to the OP. Hard to believe pointing out some truths is this controversial some 400 years later.
Old 11-19-2022, 01:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
johrj aarmstraong kuhster
That must be common core English
Old 11-19-2022, 02:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Spoken like someone who chooses which history books to believe.

Losers write history books too. And sometimes - there is no winner. And there are books written. Sometimes, everyone wins. And there aren't any books written.
Well, I do prefer choosing for myself rather than have some ultra woke university professor choose for me, if that helps.
Old 11-19-2022, 02:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Everyone'''s history matters: The Wampanoag Indian Thanksgiving story deserves to be known | Smithsonian Voices | National Museum of the American Indian Smithsonian Magazine

If you want accurate history this might be it.

For a moment of history, the interests of the Pilgrims and the Wampanoag aligned. When the Pilgrims landed in New England, after failing to make their way to the milder mouth of the Hudson, they had little food and no knowledge of the new land. The Wampanoag suggested a mutually beneficial relationship, in which the Pilgrims would exchange European weaponry for Wampanoag for food. With the help of an English-speaking Patuxet Indian named Tisquantum (not Squanto; he spoke English because he was kidnapped and sold in the European slave trade before making his way back to America), the Pilgrims produced a bountiful supply of food that summer. For their part, the Wampanoag were able to defend themselves against the Narragansett. The feast of indigenous foods that took place in October 1621, after the harvest, was one of thanks, but it more notably symbolized the rare, peaceful coexistence of the two groups.

I believe there is a series that also tells the story along these lines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce213 View Post
Thanks to the OP. Hard to believe pointing out some truths is this controversial some 400 years later.
I think you may have misspelled TALTARZAC who pointing out the truth
Old 11-19-2022, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Well, I do prefer choosing for myself rather than have some ultra woke university professor choose for me, if that helps.
Second that...
Old 11-19-2022, 05:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxdog View Post
You really spent a lot of time typing this out, noting better to do? Who cares?
There is such a thing as "copy and paste", you know. I sincerely doubt the OP typed this out, word by word.
Old 11-19-2022, 05:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,512 Times in 3,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Everyone'''s history matters: The Wampanoag Indian Thanksgiving story deserves to be known | Smithsonian Voices | National Museum of the American Indian Smithsonian Magazine

If you want accurate history this might be it.

I believe there is a series that also tells the story along these lines.
The Wampanoag tribe were almost completely obliterated in Patuxet by smallpox before the settlers got to the abandoned village.

Fun fact: they weren't called Pilgrims, at the time. The word "pilgrims" was used as an adjective, to describe the activity of the Settlers, who a guy named Bradford said went on a pilgrimage. The word Pilgrims (capital P) as a collective name for these settlers started in the 1790's, around 150 years after the settlers settled in Plymouth Colony.
Old 11-19-2022, 05:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,077 Times in 2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralway View Post
Hope the Yankees can sign Judge
Hope the Sox can sign Bogarts and Devers, but not sure what that has to do with Thanksgiving?
Old 11-19-2022, 07:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

The pilgrims and native Americans did indeed share in the feast but they natives were not initially invited. The pilgrim men were engaging in several contests one of which was a shooting contest. Several native men came over to see what all of the noise was about. Once they saw that it was a celebration, they left and returned with the rest of their tribe who brought several deer to the feast and were welcomed by the pilgrims.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-19-2022, 09:03 PM
Default This post is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
The pilgrims and native Americans did indeed share in the feast but they natives were not initially invited. The pilgrim men were engaging in several contests one of which was a shooting contest. Several native men came over to see what all of the noise was about. Once they saw that it was a celebration, they left and returned with the rest of their tribe who brought several deer to the feast and were welcomed by the pilgrims.
another sign of the times. We can't even enjoy Thanksgiving. It seems that everything we have ever held to be true or close to our hearts is being torn down or destroyed. Will the OP (or to be fair someone else) post another one right before Christmas? Whether one side of the aisle or the other. Please.
Old 11-19-2022, 09:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterray1 View Post
another sign of the times. We can't even enjoy Thanksgiving. It seems that everything we have ever held to be true or close to our hearts is being torn down or destroyed. Will the OP (or to be fair someone else) post another one right before Christmas? Whether one side of the aisle or the other. Please.
Thanksgiving 2022 - Everything you need to know | National Today

A friend would tell me Illegitimi non carborundum - Wikipedia when I was having all kinds of problems on another site.

Thanksgiving is what you make of it.
Closed Thread

Tags
thanksgiving, day, national, proclamation, americans

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.