That's the law . . .

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2014, 07:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool That's the law . . .

Many of us are always talking about how we used to play outside all day; going to the part, fishing, baseball, stickball, etc., etc., etc. Certainly, those were different times.

I just read this article, on CNN about a mother in Florida that let her Son go out to play.

Mom arrested for letting 7-year-old walk to the park - CNN.com

Some of us really like to cite the laws and the rules, but it seems to me, when we have so many laws that are supposed to substitute for common sense, we end up with lawlessness. You just can't legislate everything...

What do you think about this one?
Old 08-01-2014, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Many of us are always talking about how we used to play outside all day; going to the part, fishing, baseball, stickball, etc., etc., etc. Certainly, those were different times.

I just read this article, on CNN about a mother in Florida that let her Son go out to play.

Mom arrested for letting 7-year-old walk to the park - CNN.com

Some of us really like to cite the laws and the rules, but it seems to me, when we have so many laws that are supposed to substitute for common sense, we end up with lawlessness. You just can't legislate everything...

What do you think about this one?
I think that if they charge her it is wrong, but I kinda hope they were just trying to scare her a little, because times HAVE changed, and I wouldn't want a little guy like that to be out where bad people could hurt him. It happens far too much.

There are those that would argue that we just didn't know about all the pervs back then, but I think that more people had a moral compass or were afraid of authority and the law.

It is so sad that the world has come to this.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:00 AM
Sage

Maybe, just maybe, there is more to the story that has been reported. The article says if a child does not act as though he should be able to take care of himself, neglect may be an issue. The 7 year old boy did not know his birthday. Maybe a clue?

Also, maybe the police have to check out neglect cases that are reported and in some way that was not reported there was something that tipped the officers to believe there was neglect. Just a maybe, of course.

Maybe the mother had such an outrageous attitude toward the police that they might have reported that as neglect.

Also, maybe, this was botched from the get-go and never should have happened.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:26 AM
Gold member

I remember an article a few years ago where a New York City mother let her 9 year take the subway home from school. What an uproar over that one. When I was growing up in the Philadelphia area I would go to New York by train at least once a month to visit an aunt. I was 9 or 10 at the time. My aunt would meet me at train, we're go to Horn and Hardart for lunch, see a broadway play, take the subway to her house in Brooklyn. People seem to respect people more back in the day. It is a shame that respect for all people is hard to find in today's younger population.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:32 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Parents need to have common sense. Most do, but some don't. Perhaps we need something other than a law. Maybe education or rules of use of parks and playgrounds.

A lot depends on where you grow up. I played outside, by the river, on a raft, in a tree house, in the barn, pretty much any place from about 5 on. But I was in a very rural small town and was in first grade at 5.

And those two girls in the second and third grade that walked me home from school everyday taught me so much about life.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:19 PM

As I observe and think about the time my brother and I spent growing up in a neighborhood of working folks, it was magicacial beyond todays reconigition. Went to the field played base ball . Frogs, fished,turtles. Basket ball,football ( and the sent of fanuk in the fall) ice hockey all with telling ma and da just wherer you you were off to . Often more than not returning only for lunch/diner. What ever happened to our world?????
Old 08-02-2014, 07:14 PM

I agree with Gracie. I was taught to respect authority: policemen, firemen, teachers, etc. I was afraid of disappointing God and my parents. Most folks in our community felt the same way.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:36 PM
Sage

I worked for Florida's Child protection system sometime ago. I responded to a report that a child about the same age of this one was walking home from school by himself and being left Home alone.
There is no magical age at which children become mature enough to handle a situation like the one described in the OP, rather the investigator is expected to do a good investigation and use common sense. Some people don't have any, which might be the case where the mother was arrested.
Frankly, I think many things in this country are out-of-control, this is just another example of everything is screwy and haywire. From what news we have in this case, the arrest was heavy-handed, inappropriate, and ridiculous.

@buggy..news says the kid called cops because well-meaning grown ups grilled him about what he was doing and where he was going. Then the police showed up, now imagine you are 7 and called the police because people hassled you.

Then the police say, " what's your date of birth?" .....authority figures do lousy interviews of kids.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:54 PM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 08-04-2014 at 04:51 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:00 PM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 08-04-2014 at 04:51 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
I worked for Florida's Child protection system sometime ago. I responded to a report that a child about the same age of this one was walking home from school by himself and being left Home alone.
There is no magical age at which children become mature enough to handle a situation like the one described in the OP, rather the investigator is expected to do a good investigation and use common sense. Some people don't have any, which might be the case where the mother was arrested.
Frankly, I think many things in this country are out-of-control, this is just another example of everything is screwy and haywire. From what news we have in this case, the arrest was heavy-handed, inappropriate, and ridiculous.

@buggy..news says the kid called cops because well-meaning grown ups grilled him about what he was doing and where he was going. Then the police showed up, now imagine you are 7 and called the police because people hassled you.

Then the police say, " what's your date of birth?" .....authority figures do lousy interviews of kids.

The only thing I saw on this story was the link on the OP. It does not say the boy called the police, it did not have a picture of the boy in gang bang clothes, it did not say there were pervs at the park, it did not say grownups grilled him.

My reply was a bunch of "maybe's" as to why the mother was arrested.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think that if they charge her it is wrong, but I kinda hope they were just trying to scare her a little, because times HAVE changed, and I wouldn't want a little guy like that to be out where bad people could hurt him. It happens far too much.

There are those that would argue that we just didn't know about all the pervs back then, but I think that more people had a moral compass or were afraid of authority and the law.

It is so sad that the world has come to this.
We are getting to be a police state.
The mother was charged with felony child neglect.
The mother headstrong (had strung..lol) a cell phone and hung around the child's neck.
Mom is out on$3750 bail.

Kid is traumatized by police action and saying he's sorry for wanting to go to the park.

I'm not saying it was a good decision to let the kid go to the park alone, but it sure as heck was not cause for a felony child neglect charge.

Last edited by kittygilchrist; 08-03-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:34 AM
Default Changed times

I grew up in a suburb of Chicago. I couldn't leave my block until I was six. Then you couldn't find me. I loved to ride my bike and when i was about nine i packed myself a lunch and rode to a neighboring suburb (about 10/12 miles each way)just for the ride. I got home about dinner time and can remember the. Trouble i got into for that one!
Yes, times have changed...
Old 08-03-2014, 07:41 AM
Sage

The Gilmer Mirror - Rutherford Institute Defends Florida Mom Arrested Handcuffed Searched Jailed for Allowing Her 7 Year Old Son to Visit Playground Alone

Hurray!
The Rutherford Institute is going to defend Nicole Gainey!

https://www.rutherford.org
"Absurd, bureaucratic police state"
Old 08-03-2014, 08:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
Thanks for the update Kitty.
I'm glad to hear that Nicole Gainey is getting assistance from Rutherford Institute.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.