A Theory For Newtown And Other Mass Shootings

Closed Thread
Old 03-23-2013, 11:18 AM
Sage
Default A Theory For Newtown And Other Mass Shootings

I haven't heard this reason being advanced anywhere and would like to try it out here to see what you think.

Everyone always says that the shooter shoots himself at the end because he doesn't want to be captured by the police. I think that's true but only part of the truth.

I think the main motivation from the very beginning is suicide and the shooter wants to create a situation conducive to that end.

His plan is to not die alone; his plan is to take others with him. At the end, as the police are arriving, he only has a small window of opportunity to complete his plan. He doesn't have much time to think and the pressure is just what he needs to take that final step to do what he has been wanting to do all along. And that is to take his own life.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:38 AM
Gold member

Sorry - don't really know the answer to that.

Only wish they would do it BEFORE taking anyone other lives.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Veteran member

They want attention and witnesses.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:34 PM
Veteran member

I think they are cowards (after all you rarely hear of a shooter walking into somewhere heavily armed to do their deed) and think (wrongly) that by taking their own life they won't have to face the consequences for what they have done. If the goal was suicide all they would have to do is walk into a nearby police station with a gun and a few of the countries finest would help them with that goal.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwaittoarrive View Post
I think they are cowards (after all you rarely hear of a shooter walking into somewhere heavily armed to do their deed) and think (wrongly) that by taking their own life they won't have to face the consequences for what they have done. If the goal was suicide all they would have to do is walk into a nearby police station with a gun and a few of the countries finest would help them with that goal.
I think you missed part of the point I was trying to make. They want to take people with them. They don't want to go alone. And going into a police station is not that different from them shooting themselves at home. Yes, it would take courage that they don't yet have. So killing a lot of people first, puts them in a position where they can't back out. They are backed into a corner with no way out. Therefore, at that point, suicide becomes the way out and it's what they wanted all along.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I think you missed part of the point I was trying to make. They want to take people with them. They don't want to go alone. And going into a police station is not that different from them shooting themselves at home. Yes, it would take courage that they don't yet have. So killing a lot of people first, puts them in a position where they can't back out. They are backed into a corner with no way out. Therefore, at that point, suicide becomes the way out and it's what they wanted all along.
just proves my point, they are COWARDS so they put themselves into a position they can't back out of
Old 03-23-2013, 03:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I haven't heard this reason being advanced anywhere and would like to try it out here to see what you think.

Everyone always says that the shooter shoots himself at the end because he doesn't want to be captured by the police. I think that's true but only part of the truth.

I think the main motivation from the very beginning is suicide and the shooter wants to create a situation conducive to that end.

His plan is to not die alone; his plan is to take others with him. At the end, as the police are arriving, he only has a small window of opportunity to complete his plan. He doesn't have much time to think and the pressure is just what he needs to take that final step to do what he has been wanting to do all along. And that is to take his own life.

Hard to generalize about this. They all have had different motives IMHO. Some are very mentally ill and work without much of a motive except maybe as you say a very ugly way of making many others suffer along with them which sounds like the Newtown shooter. The Aurora, CO movie theater murderer planned his rampage very carefully from what it sounds like and did not want to end up killed by law enforcement. The Austin Texas tower shooter at the U of TX had a very serious tumor of some kind in his head.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Sage

I think most had developed a sick sense of pleasure and deliciousness in killing and bloodshed, maybe thru a combination of drugs and violent video game addiction coupled with this at the foundation:

Definition of PSYCHOSIS

: fundamental derangement of the mind (as in schizophrenia) characterized by defective or lost contact with reality especially as evidenced by delusions, hallucinations, and disorganized speech and behavior
Old 03-23-2013, 04:32 PM
Sage

That theory makes a lot of sense. Kind of like suicide by cop
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.