Relay For Life @ TVHS

Closed Thread
Old 11-18-2010, 07:05 AM
Platinum member
Unhappy Relay For Life @ TVHS

TV will not allow the Relay For Life fund raising event, The Walk, to be held at TVHS track in 2011 as they've done in the past. TV officials have centered all their energy toward Moffitt fund raising. I don't think anyone will take anything away from the Moffitt Cancer Center operation but....

We are waiting for more info from the American Cancer Society (ACS) but ACS officials at last nights "Relay" meeting were the ones that broke the news. It was suggested to go outside to the local community. Lady Lake, Wildwood, Leesburg.

If you've attended "The Walk" ceremony you understand the heart felt passion that drives one to help in this Relay For Life fund raiser.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:13 AM
Dancing Thyme

this is very sad news, 16, I know that there is a great deal of passion for this event and the Relay for Life program and I agree, I don't think it would take a thing away from the Moffitt center donation program. Do you think a petition would help?? I'd be very happy to help organize something if you think it could work.

If not, perhaps there are other very lovely places around TV that we might look into. It won't be as convenient, of course, but we must not stop the walk... what do you think.

I'm sorry for you, Barb and the rest of the team, as this program is very near and dear to many of our hearts.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 11-18-2010, 09:06 AM
Veteran member

Kathie, thanks for the offer but I don't think a petition would help.
I was at last night's meeting and TV made it perfectly clear that they will no longer support Relay and the annual Walk will not be held on Village property.

I for one am both saddened and angered to think that all of us who support Relay for Life will have to leave our community and go to a neighboring community for this incredible event.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:33 AM
Veteran member

I agree it is a shame that TV has decided to not allow the Relay for Life on Villages Property. Everywhere I have lived the Relay for Life gets wonderful support from the local community.

So many survivors and family members participate that not only is it a great fund raising event but an opportunity to meet with other survivors and offer support.

I hope that a convenient location can be found so TV residents can continue to participate in this wonderful event.

Last edited by Halle; 11-18-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Gold member

This is absurd! The Relay for Life will not detract from the Moffitt Center fundraising. If anything it will enhance it.
As a two time cancer survivor I well remember my first victory lap, coming down to the finish being high-fived by family, friends and especially doctors and nurses who had been by my side during the difficult, scary treatment. Truly an uplifting experience.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:18 PM
Unhappy

What is a little surprising is the very low response that this important thread has elicited. I guess it's easier to roll over than stand up and say "What's up with that?"

The Moffitt Center and the American Cancer Society should be able to coexist in the same community. One is helping patients fight a disease and the other is searching for a cure. Banning American Cancer Society fund raising from all Village property demonstrates a lopsided view of what's in our best interests.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:30 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I'm speechless. I think that may be one of the reasons so little is being said. The other reason may be that we don't truly know why it will not be held on TV property. This is just so sad and so wrong.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Gold member

Maybe a letter to the editor would help? People calling and emailing to ask why? What can we all do to help? I agree that every thing for charity in the paper has been focused on the Moffitt Center, lately.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 11-18-2010, 02:30 PM
Veteran member

I am upset about this decision. I have participated in The Village Relay for Life since our move here in 2007. I am a survivor like so many here and also have had lost family and friends to this dreadful disease. Being able to donate and have luminaires with my loved one's names on them meant so much to me--honoring their life that way. The survivor walk -I have been told--is the largest one in the United States. I think we should let the "decision makers" know how we feel about this.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:41 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeball View Post
What is a little surprising is the very low response that this important thread has elicited. I guess it's easier to roll over than stand up and say "What's up with that?"

The Moffitt Center and the American Cancer Society should be able to coexist in the same community. One is helping patients fight a disease and the other is searching for a cure. Banning American Cancer Society fund raising from all Village property demonstrates a lopsided view of what's in our best interests.
what a lame brain decision!

talk about 'should be able to coexist in the same community'!!!!! i can't think of two ventures more related and inclined to support each other than these two!

having each of them in the villages can only strengthen the relationship. awareness of one can only help the other!

the playing fields on rolling acres rd come to mind as does the carriage museum or even uncle donald's farm!

Old 11-18-2010, 07:05 PM

I too am stunned by this terrible decision. I took my first walk as a survivior last year. Never in my life have I experienced such a heart warming event. The love that was shown to my wife and I is something that I will never forget. To deny that experience to other survivors and caregivers is a tragedy. I can not imagine that the relay for life would in any way detract from fund raising efforts on behalf of The Moffitt Center. Quite the opposite in my opinion. Each endeavor would shed more light on the other. Personally, if I am forced to choose as a result of this inane decision, considering the anger and distress that it has caused me, I will continue to support the relay for life and as much as I want it, I will find it difficult at best to continue to support The Moffitt Center.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:12 PM
nkrifats

My first walk was 5 years ago and I will not forget walking with others who have beaten this disease. I can see no reason for The Villages to do this. I am not there full time yet but would be glad to help in any way that could cause this to happen.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

i wonder where we can go to get an explanation from TV why....gn
Old 11-18-2010, 07:25 PM
Default Embarrassing

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeball View Post

The Moffitt Center and the American Cancer Society should be able to coexist in the same community. . . .
This is a total embarrassment to the community. Maybe we should all put our money together to buy one of those full-page newspaper ads to express this.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:26 PM

I am speechless about this decision...I don't understand the villages thinking on this one!!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.