There is a new app called "Parler" that is being much talked about in social media.

Closed Thread
Old 11-09-2020, 01:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default There is a new app called "Parler" that is being much talked about in social media.

I think it is not up to the huge traffic it is getting but hope it does challenge Twitter and Facebook.

What say you???
Old 11-09-2020, 03:06 PM
Veteran member

Parler was working fine until Mark Levin suggested his followers all join over the weekend and then it starting having issues. They seem to be resolved now.

kathy
Old 11-09-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
Parler was working fine until Mark Levin suggested his followers all join over the weekend and then it starting having issues. They seem to be resolved now.

kathy
Actually it was Dan Bongino that asked the follower to move over to "Parler", I believe he's part owner of this "Parler" social media...
Old 11-09-2020, 03:43 PM
Veteran member

Seems to be working better now than earlier. (Back to being slow again).

Last edited by Mrprez; 11-09-2020 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:56 PM
Veteran member

I've been a member since May of 2019. Still lagging a bit, but much improved from the weekend.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,512 Times in 3,105 Posts

Parler is not new. It's not in competition with Facebook or Twitter. It is an alt-right propaganda social media. It is a favorite of the Proud Boys white nationalist group, because Parler doesn't care who posts what on it. It's basically martial law internet, at times even worse than reddit. Parler is one of the "sources" of political conspiracies. Anyone can make any claim they want on that app, there is no fact-checking, and you are "free" to believe whatever fits your narrative.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:57 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Parler is not new. It's not in competition with Facebook or Twitter. It is an alt-right propaganda social media. It is a favorite of the Proud Boys white nationalist group, because Parler doesn't care who posts what on it. It's basically martial law internet, at times even worse than reddit. Parler is one of the "sources" of political conspiracies. Anyone can make any claim they want on that app, there is no fact-checking, and you are "free" to believe whatever fits your narrative.
As opposed to FB and Twitter where you are not allowed to believe anything that deviates from their agenda?

I’d like to see some reliable proof of your Proud Boys assertion.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:57 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:

One person's fact checker is another person's censor.
Old 11-09-2020, 05:05 PM

PARLER is TWITTER ALTERNATE

MeWe.com is Facebook alternative.

Nothing Favoring any side at this time.

Fake News on this forum
Old 11-09-2020, 05:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,512 Times in 3,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe V. View Post
One person's fact checker is another person's censor.
Pretty much, yeah. It goes something like this:

Actual event occurs: It rains in the Villages.

Twitter user posts "omg it's raining in teh villages lol"
Fact-checker <crickets - because there's nothing untrue about this>
Response to the above tweet "It NEVER rains in the villages, that's a conspiracy created by the Old Guys Association to try and sell Other Community properties!"
Old Guys Association reports that response.
Twitter admin says "woopsie, you're right - you're not trying to sell Other Community properties. In fact, Old Guys Association is a Villages club. Thanks for the update" and deletes the response.
Response guy posts "OMG CENSORING"

Meanwhile on Parler:

Response guy posts "they censor my post on twitter because I was merely just sincerely, with great concern and care for my fellow man, warning about the Old Guys Association. Because everyone knows they're crooks and I didn't want anyone to be duped by them."

20 response-guy followers all chime in "take it to the streets! Let's burn the Old Guys Association! Someone find out where they live and torch their houses!"

And eventually someone gets arrested for stalking an Old Guy club member.
Old 11-09-2020, 05:31 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
So it's just the same as the "mainstream media" and all the other social media sites.
Old 11-09-2020, 05:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
WELL...THAT tells me all I needed to know.
Old 11-09-2020, 05:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

“Parler is a United States-based microblogging and social networking service launched in August 2018. Parler has a significant user base of Trump supporters, conservatives, and Saudi nationalists. Posts on the website often contain far-right content,[9] antisemitism,[12][discuss] and conspiracy theories.[15] The site has been described as an alternative to Twitter, and is popular among people who have been banned from mainstream social networks or oppose their moderation policies.[16][4][17] The site markets itself as a "free speech" and unbiased alternative to mainstream social networks such as Twitter and Facebook. However, journalists and users have criticized the service for content policies that are more restrictive than the company portrays, and sometimes more restrictive than those of its competitors.[3][18][19][20] As of November 2020, the site had more than 4 million users.[21]”

Parler - Wikipedia

Never heard of this place before, but it sounds very dangerous, and simply adds to all the conspiracy theories already in existence.

What ever happened to old fashioned reading and investigating things using acceptable, reliable long trusted places.

What joy is there in pursuing conspiracies ? None ever are proven to be valid. I suppose the National Enquirer crowd had to go somewhere.

We are killing truth in this country, and not very slowly. Someday, somebody has to stand up for old fashioned truth.

I realize that those who favor this kind of place think Wikipedia doesn’t like them, or whatever the reason they always feel “put upon”, but further reading simply validates this write up.
Old 11-09-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
“Parler is a United States-based microblogging and social networking service launched in August 2018. Parler has a significant user base of Trump supporters, conservatives, and Saudi nationalists. Posts on the website often contain far-right content,[9] antisemitism,[12][discuss] and conspiracy theories.[15] The site has been described as an alternative to Twitter, and is popular among people who have been banned from mainstream social networks or oppose their moderation policies.[16][4][17] The site markets itself as a "free speech" and unbiased alternative to mainstream social networks such as Twitter and Facebook. However, journalists and users have criticized the service for content policies that are more restrictive than the company portrays, and sometimes more restrictive than those of its competitors.[3][18][19][20] As of November 2020, the site had more than 4 million users.[21]”

Parler - Wikipedia

Never heard of this place before, but it sounds very dangerous, and simply adds to all the conspiracy theories already in existence.

What ever happened to old fashioned reading and investigating things using acceptable, reliable long trusted places.

What joy is there in pursuing conspiracies ? None ever are proven to be valid. I suppose the National Enquirer crowd had to go somewhere.

We are killing truth in this country, and not very slowly. Someday, somebody has to stand up for old fashioned truth.

I realize that those who favor this kind of place think Wikipedia doesn’t like them, or whatever the reason they always feel “put upon”, but further reading simply validates this write up.
Reference Services Review, 36(1), 7–22. "The study did reveal inaccuracies in eight of the nine entries and exposed major flaws in at least two of the nine Wikipedia articles. Overall, Wikipedia's accuracy rate was 80 percent compared with 95-96 percent accuracy within the other sources."Aug 27, 2020....or about what you can believe from the National Enquirer.
Old 11-09-2020, 05:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,927 Times in 2,453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerforever View Post
Reference Services Review, 36(1), 7–22. "The study did reveal inaccuracies in eight of the nine entries and exposed major flaws in at least two of the nine Wikipedia articles. Overall, Wikipedia's accuracy rate was 80 percent compared with 95-96 percent accuracy within the other sources."Aug 27, 2020....or about what you can believe from the National Enquirer.

As long as it pushes the agenda their all in.
Closed Thread

Tags
huge, traffic, hope, challenge, twitter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.