Things that make you go hmmmmmmm.

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2015, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts
Default Things that make you go hmmmmmmm.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...446-post1.html

I see that Gene Coppola is now the President Elect of the Florida Library Association. I had mentioned my experiences with him while at the Palm Harbor Library in an earlier post of mine.

It does seem that sometimes I just live in La-La land but if more TOTVers e-mail or otherwise contact your local library and police/sheriffs' offices via their web-sites and in other matters maybe we can make practical materials accessible for survivors/victims of crimes a reality rather than a pipe dream of mine I have been working on in some way or another since January 1991 and thinking about since the day after my then high school English teacher's daughter Michelle Mitchell was murdered on my birthday of 2-24 in 1976 near the University of Nevada, Reno campus. http://www.kolotv.com/home/headlines...259142291.html

Gene Coppola might do something about this niche as well since I bugged many in the Tampa Bay area about it for all the years I was connected to the two libraries he pretty much controlled-- Palm Harbor and East Lake Community Library. I was kind of the unwelcome volunteer with a MA and JD who was also trying to get a foot in the door for gainful (paid) employment in the Tampa Bay area library systems. Never happened for me despite trying very hard. http://www.flalib.org/executive_boar...ff%20Board.pdf

He will probably only do something though if pressed by people he cannot easily bully, blacklist, threaten to sue or take the same kind of actions he did when I lived in Palm Harbor. This is a very bitter pill to swallow. It seems the more unprincipled you are, the higher you rise. Just venting.

I hope that you will look at my other posts on TOTV about my long term efforts to get practical materials for survivors/victims of different crimes into libraries of all kinds based upon my own experiences and backed up with the credibility earned through my four degrees. This was/is my 224 613 Project. Gene Coppola was one of my biggest hurdles and it seems he is back in play. Maybe concerned citizens with some time, energy, creativity and honor can do something about making sure that librarians meet the needs of those people who are affected by crimes. And I mean more than just lip service. National Library Week I did manage to get a link to the Florida Victim Services Directory but with some communities that seems like posting a shark warning sign on one of their more pristine beaches. It does not help attract tourists even though the shark is still out there. These links rarely remained in public libraries for more than a few years. http://myfloridalegal.com/victims

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 03-22-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts
Default Checked a few FL libraries. None had links to the Florida Victim Services Directory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...446-post1.html

I see that Gene Coppola is now the President Elect of the Florida Library Association. I had mentioned my experiences with him while at the Palm Harbor Library in an earlier post of mine.

It does seem that sometimes I just live in La-La land but if more TOTVers e-mail or otherwise contact your local library and police/sheriffs' offices via their web-sites and in other matters maybe we can make practical materials accessible for survivors/victims of crimes a reality rather than a pipe dream of mine I have been working on in some way or another since January 1991 and thinking about since the day after my then high school English teacher's daughter Michelle Mitchell was murdered on my birthday of 2-24 in 1976 near the University of Nevada, Reno campus. Killing Time: DNA Evidence Turns Up Heat On A Cold Case

Gene Coppola might do something about this niche as well since I bugged many in the Tampa Bay area about it for all the years I was connected to the two libraries he pretty much controlled-- Palm Harbor and East Lake Community Library. I was kind of the unwelcome volunteer with a MA and JD who was also trying to get a foot in the door for gainful (paid) employment in the Tampa Bay area library systems. Never happened for me despite trying very hard. http://www.flalib.org/executive_boar...ff%20Board.pdf

He will probably only do something though if pressed by people he cannot easily bully, blacklist, threaten to sue or take the same kind of actions he did when I lived in Palm Harbor. This is a very bitter pill to swallow. It seems the more unprincipled you are, the higher you rise. Just venting.

I hope that you will look at my other posts on TOTV about my long term efforts to get practical materials for survivors/victims of different crimes into libraries of all kinds based upon my own experiences and backed up with the credibility earned through my four degrees. This was/is my 224 613 Project. Gene Coppola was one of my biggest hurdles and it seems he is back in play. Maybe concerned citizens with some time, energy, creativity and honor can do something about making sure that librarians meet the needs of those people who are affected by crimes. And I mean more than just lip service. National Library Week I did manage to get a link to the Florida Victim Services Directory but with some communities that seems like posting a shark warning sign on one of their more pristine beaches. It does not help attract tourists even though the shark is still out there. These links rarely remained in public libraries for more than a few years. Florida Attorney General - Crime Victims Services
You would think that this is a no brainer. It is about on the same logical line as having a sign to a library. It is just easier to get there if you know where you are going. And, the less confusing the sign the better.

http://myfloridalegal.com/victims

I hope that I can get some TOTVers interested in this. Go into your local library and see what kind of practical materials they have for instance if you bought a lemon from some car dealer. Ripped off by some scam? In my experiences on a reference desk no one has ever asked me as a victim for help finding information. Defendants. Yes. I had one Gail P., at the University of Minnesota Law Library who was researching fighting charges against her for stalking a Mathematics Professor. She then focused her stalking on my live-in girlfriend Jennifer V., (a third year law student at the U of MN at that time) and me.

There was a particularly loathsome no se pro (for yourself) defendant on the Findlaw message boards who would often drive off actual victims needing help with all his asides and cybersmearing.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.