Thinking and caring about the people from Manchester.

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2017, 12:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
I see the good and kindness in people, and I feel encouraged. I watch the news on TV and feel discouraged.

Off topic, but there are still kind people, even in a large metropolitan area like Chicago. Last week I was driving home from work, stopped at a traffic light. A lady came up to my driver's side window and told me that one of my rear taillights was out. What a nice thing for her to do! I drove straight to Jiffy Lube to have that bulb replaced. That lady may have saved me from a traffic ticket. So there are still kind, decent people in this world. They just don't make the lead story on TV every night.
Some of the CBS "On the Road" stories cover people doing good. CBS Evening News - On The Road - CBS News

And I remember how many people went out of their way to help the victims/survivors of the Orlando Pulse Night Club shooting on 6-12-2016. 2016 Orlando nightclub shooting - Wikipedia I had to wait a while to get into give platelets at the One Blood branch office here in the Villages because of all the people who were coming in and trying to donate blood a few days after that.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 05-27-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:21 PM
Sage

I hope the people affected by the events earlier this week in Manchester know that most of the people in the West stand with them.

I know it is a scary world out there, but if we don't live our lives (but be vigilant) and attend events that bring us joy, then the terrorists have won. This statement has been said and posted many times since 9/11.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
I hope the people affected by the events earlier this week in Manchester know that most of the people in the West stand with them.

I know it is a scary world out there, but if we don't live our lives (but be vigilant) and attend events that bring us joy, then the terrorists have won. This statement has been said and posted many times since 9/11.
True. I celebrate birthdays as much as I can and my high school English teacher Barbara Mitchell's daughter Michelle Mitchell was murdered on 2-24 in 1976 near the University of Nevada, Reno campus. 2-24 in my actual birthday. She was a 19 year old nursing student. The murder is probably solved now correctly in 2017 but as far as I know is still an open case. It was probably a man known as the Gypsy Hill killer or the San Mateo Slasher-- Rodney Halbower. I got four degrees to try to help people by getting practical materials for survivors/victims of crimes accessible in or through libraries. Been fighting the powers that be on-and-off since January or so of 1991. Many Chicago connections to this as many of the associations I have tried to persuade its members to get involved are in Chicago. You cannot let the negativity and just plain evil acts of some people stop you.

I like it that the authorities in the UK called out the US media for putting too much emphasis on the perpetrator of the despicable bombing rather than focusing on the survivors/victims. They even -- the media in the US-- showed pictures of the bomb and the like. That's dumb. You are supposed to keep some things secret which they did with the 2-24- 1976 Michelle Mitchell murder even if that turned out to be a mess up of Titanic proportion as far as justice is concerned. A paranoid schizophrenic Cathy Woods was railroaded because the cops and the community wanted the matter closed and she was in a mental ward from about 1979 through 2015 for a false confession and numerous appeals.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 05-27-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
So frightening and sad to hear of another terrorist attack.
There have been at least two other terrorist attacks in the past few days that didn't make the news.

ISIS-linked militants reportedly captured nine Christians, tied their hands together and shot them dead in a city in the southern province of Mindanao in The Philippines.

Twenty eight Coptic Christians were shot to death by ISIS linked terrorists while on a bus in Minya Egypt yesterday.

On Wednesday, Three police officers were killed and ten others, five police officers and five civilians, injured when two suicide bombers blew themselves up at a bus stop in Ja****a, India. The police confirmed that the bombers were members of Jamaah Ansharut Tauhid, a group links to Islamic State.

These are only a few of the terrorist attacks that have happened in the past week that the media didn't report. The problem is a lot worse than what we are led to believe.

It seems that if it doesn't happen in The U.S. or Europe our media doesn't care about it. Either that or they are trying to minimize just how big of a problem this is.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
There have been at least two other terrorist attacks in the past few days that didn't make the news.

ISIS-linked militants reportedly captured nine Christians, tied their hands together and shot them dead in a city in the southern province of Mindanao in The Philippines.

Twenty eight Coptic Christians were shot to death by ISIS linked terrorists while on a bus in Minya Egypt yesterday.

On Wednesday, Three police officers were killed and ten others, five police officers and five civilians, injured when two suicide bombers blew themselves up at a bus stop in Ja****a, India. The police confirmed that the bombers were members of Jamaah Ansharut Tauhid, a group links to Islamic State.

These are only a few of the terrorist attacks that have happened in the past week that the media didn't report. The problem is a lot worse than what we are led to believe.

It seems that if it doesn't happen in The U.S. or Europe our media doesn't care about it. Either that or they are trying to minimize just how big of a problem this is.
I saw the bus attack reported on the news as well as the other matters. This was on CBS or ABC's National News. There were more in the middle of the telecasts but were there.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I saw the bus attack reported on the news as well as the other matters. This was on CBS or ABC's National News. There were more in the middle of the telecasts but were there.
You could be right. I don't watch network news so I wouldn't know. But 28 people killed in one incident, nine in another, and ten in a third and they get maybe one mention by the networks while they go on and on about Manchester. Are the lives of British subjects more valuable than people in other parts of the world or is it because it seems to make it more like it could happen here?

I really don't have any idea why the networks and most cable news outlets pick and choose their stories but it seems to me that what we get is what they want us to hear.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
You could be right. I don't watch network news so I wouldn't know. But 28 people killed in one incident, nine in another, and ten in a third and they get maybe one mention by the networks while they go on and on about Manchester. Are the lives of British subjects more valuable than people in other parts of the world or is it because it seems to make it more like it could happen here?

I really don't have any idea why the networks and most cable news outlets pick and choose their stories but it seems to me that what we get is what they want us to hear.
All covered quite extensively. NYTimes had feature stories on both as they unfolded along with Washington Post. And actually I think all 3 cable channels covered them as well, but keep this in mind...

Egypt, while not on the "banned list" is a terrorist country and the Phillipines, also not on the list, has been becoming infested of the past year with ISIS. Much about this I have seen and read.

The stories from an accepted and approved terrorist country will never get the coverage that a Christian nation will get.

Egypt has long been considered a "terrorist" country.

Eiffel Tower Goes Dark as World Leaders Condemn Attack in Egypt’s Minya Eiffel Tower Goes Dark as World Leaders Condemn Attack in Egypt’s Minya | Egyptian Streets

I just need to weigh in when I see the media criticized with no basis in fact....I am sorry. Again, it is not just a small group that condemns terrorism

ISIS in Southeast Asia: Philippines battles growing threat - CNN.com

DWIGHT EISENHOWER (1890-1969)
The qualities of a great man are "vision, integrity, courage, understanding, the power of articulation, and profundity of character."
Old 06-04-2017, 03:34 PM
Veteran member

Theresa May has said, "Enough is enough". Have you ever tried to find a good movie lately without going through 50 full of violence first? When do we start saying enough and enough and pass it on through our children and grand children?

We are all conditioned in various ways and some cultures have reached the terrorist stage. It's so sad.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimandMe View Post
Theresa May has said, "Enough is enough". Have you ever tried to find a good movie lately without going through 50 full of violence first? When do we start saying enough and enough and pass it on through our children and grand children?

We are all conditioned in various ways and some cultures have reached the terrorist stage. It's so sad.
Must be hard raising a kid in this age when violence is in every media especially video games and the like.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimandMe View Post

And our country had sarcasm for the Mayor of London, which now is creating, at least a temporary rift with English Ambassador.

Their enemy is our enemy. That should and will get our sympathy and strength.

DWIGHT EISENHOWER (1890-1969)
The qualities of a great man are "vision, integrity, courage, understanding, the power of articulation, and profundity of character."
Old 06-04-2017, 04:03 PM
Sage

Last edited by Allegiance; 06-04-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Those last 3 (original) comments must have been REAL interesting
Old 06-04-2017, 04:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

So frightening and sad to hear about another terrorist attack.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Although this link is 6 years old...the basics remain the same.

You're More Likely to Die from Brain-Eating Parasites, Alcoholism, Obesity, Medical Errors, Risky Sexual Behavior or Just About Anything OTHER THAN Terrorism

Quote:
Calm Down … You Are Much More Likely to Be Killed By Boring, Mundane Things than Terrorism

We noted in 2011:

– You are 17,600 times more likely to die from heart disease than from a terrorist attack

– You are 12,571 times more likely to die from cancer than from a terrorist attack

— You are 11,000 times more likely to die in an airplane accident than from a terrorist plot involving an airplane

— You are 1048 times more likely to die from a car accident than from a terrorist attack

–You are 404 times more likely to die in a fall than from a terrorist attack

— You are 87 times more likely to drown than die in a terrorist attack

– You are 13 times more likely to die in a railway accident than from a terrorist attack

–You are 12 times more likely to die from accidental suffocation in bed than from a terrorist attack

–You are 9 times more likely to choke to death on your own vomit than die in a terrorist attack

–You are 8 times more likely to be killed by a police officer than by a terrorist

–You are 8 times more likely to die from accidental electrocution than from a terrorist attack

– You are 6 times more likely to die from hot weather than from a terrorist attack
Old 06-04-2017, 05:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
All true, but none of those are deliberately caused by psychotic fanatics, and most of them do not provide a target for retaliation.
Closed Thread

Tags
hear, sad, attack, terrorist, frightening

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.