2015 Turning into a nightmare!

Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2015, 08:21 PM
Unhappy 2015 Turning into a nightmare!

Trying to get our ducks in a row to eventually move to The Villages in a couple of years.

We decided to move out of our house into an inexpensive mobile home for a couple of years to save some additional retirement money. We are planning to sell our house soon so we can come down and buy a place.

1. About 2 weeks ago I had a rough stretch at work.
2. Being stressed out at work and about moving out of our home of 20 years, I ended up in the hospital for a couple of days.
3. In order to sell our home we now have to put in a new furnace.
4. We've been in our mobile home for about a week now and starting to get settled in and have discovered the mobile home is infested with BED BUGS! I'm literally sick to my stomach.

I'm more concerned about my kids and grandson that have been over to visit. I pray they did not take the bugs back to their homes. I'm just devastated about all this and it's only February.

Has anyone ever had to deal with bed bugs? How did you handle it? Did you inadvertently infest others?

Please help!
Old 02-08-2015, 08:42 PM
Gold member

I would leave the mobile home that you are in, disinfect everything and move again. Bed bugs are bad news as I am sire you have found out. Bless all of you.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Good advice from Missy Pie.

Keep your eye on the prize. We'll be waiting to welcome you.

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-08-2015 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Contact a name brand exterminator, there are now treatments for getting rid of bed bugs.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:29 PM
Gold member

Did you buy the mobile home? Or are you renting it?
Old 02-08-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
Did you buy the mobile home? Or are you renting it?
We bought it for $10,000. I can't really afford to throw away $10,000!
Old 02-08-2015, 09:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieJo View Post
We bought it for $10,000. I can't really afford to throw away $10,000!

Well then...call the exterminator. One step at a time.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:45 PM
Gold member

Hubby used to work at a condo and on occasion they had bed bugs. They used to bring in big heaters and turn them up high and run them for hours. Also all linens and clothing washed in Hot water and dry on high heat.

Also check out link below. Also do a internet search "how to get rid of bedbugs" wealth of information.

Bedbugs: Infestations, Bedbug Bites, and Getting Rid of Bedbugs
Old 02-08-2015, 10:06 PM
Eternal Member

Yes, bedbugs will get onto clothes or whatever and will be transported to other homes. Your visitors are at great risk for taking bedbugs home with them.

They can be exterminated - this costs $$$ - however, must be done professionally and is not a do it yourself project with a few cans of RAID.

Sue the seller? You would probably spend more in legal fees than could ever be collected. Collections can also take years.

Homeowners insurance policies rarely cover infestations of vermin.

Not good news but hopefully, this can all be fixed and you can someday enjoy The Villages.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:26 PM
Sage

I'm sorry for your troubles.
Please don't rely on half-way measures.
You need a professional exterminator for your trailer and to give you advice about your kids and grandson.
Best of luck -- things will get a lot better.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:12 AM

I take care of patients frequently who come into the clinic with bedbugs which most have contracted at the shelters where they are living. Bedbugs are tough to control in shelter environments where there is no control over who is coming and who is going, but since you have control over this if you get an exterminator they should be able to rid you of these nasty bugs. Yes these nasty bugs can jump onto people from other people, furniture, bedding, etc. as I have seen this with my own eyes because they seek a host to feed off of, so if your kids notice they have gotten bites they could have brought the bugs into their own homes which will also need to be professionally treated.

Good Luck.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:48 PM

It goes from bad to worse. These little bugs have destroyed our life. I think our dream of moving to the Villages is gone. We are spending thousands to try to get rid of them plus we've thrown away almost everything we own.

We hired a professional company to do the heat treatment as it's supposed to work in one try. It did not work . The bugs are still here.

I even got sent home from work.

We are completely devastated. The worst thing is we have lost our peace of mind and our hope.

Has anyone ever recovered from this?
Old 02-15-2015, 01:08 PM
Gold member

if your at your last resort, move back into your home of 20 years, and wait it out till you have the funds you need to make the move...

Fix the bugs in the mobile and rent it out to get your 10k back...plus maybe more...

may take a little longer to get down to the villages....but it will happen, eventually, right....?

I mean really, what else can you do.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieJo View Post
It goes from bad to worse. These little bugs have destroyed our life. I think our dream of moving to the Villages is gone. We are spending thousands to try to get rid of them plus we've thrown away almost everything we own.

We hired a professional company to do the heat treatment as it's supposed to work in one try. It did not work . The bugs are still here.

I even got sent home from work.

We are completely devastated. The worst thing is we have lost our peace of mind and our hope.

Has anyone ever recovered from this?
I am so sorry you are going through this..... I will tell you that I believe that hardly anyone can get to six decades of life without facing overwhelming circumstances in some way or another. It seems that some have a heavy load to carry for a very long time. In the Bible, which I rarely quote, there is the whole book of Job. Maybe to remind us that suffering and worry and disaster and loss is part of the burden of living for most of us at one time or another..

I wish I could help. I can only offer that any bad thing is made easier one step at a time and one day at a time and trying NOT to solve all parts of the trouble at once. Someone suggested a pesticide that would work, rather than heating the house. If you had to throw away upholstered furniture, perhaps it was a blessing in disguise. Expensive to move and there are really lovely things available at Bargains and Treasures. I will try to find a picture of our first house and some of our finds that we bought there for not too much cash.

I know you must have felt humiliated to be sent home from work, but bedbugs happen as an accident, not because someone was not a good housekeeper.

I hope that somehow not all of your dreams are dashed. We will be hoping and thinking positive thoughts. Again, I am so sorry for what you are going through.

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-15-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am so sorry you are going through this..... I will tell you that I believe that hardly anyone can get to six decades of life without facing overwhelming circumstances in some way or another. It seems that some have a heavy load to carry for a very long time. In the Bible, which I rarely quote, there is the whole book of Jobe. Maybe to remind us that suffering and worry and disaster and loss is part of the burden of living for most of us at one time or another..

I wish I could help. I can only offer that any bad thing is made easier one step at a time and one day at a time and trying NOT to solve all parts of the trouble at once. Someone suggested a pesticide that would work, rather than heating the house. If you had to throw away upholstered furniture, perhaps it was a blessing in disguise. Expensive to move and there are really lovely things available at Bargains and Treasures. I will try to find a picture of our first house and some of our finds that we bought there for not too much cash.

I know you must have felt humiliated to be sent home from work, but bedbugs happen as an accident, not because someone was not a good housekeeper.

I hope that somehow not all of your dreams are dashed. We will be hoping and thinking positive thoughts. Again, I am so sorry for what you are going through.
Excellent advice from a lady with lots of wisdom. Yes The Book of Job in the Old Testament is a must read.

Thanks GG for sage advice.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.