For those of you, like me, from New Jersey

Closed Thread
Old 07-04-2015, 09:40 AM
Veteran member

I loved NJ. North west Jersey was one of the most beautiful places.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:37 PM

Many people have a negative view of New Jersey, but once you get away from the Turnpike, there are some beautiful areas. I grew up in Princeton, New Jersey, where Princeton University is located...an absolutely beautiful and historic town you that could ever wish for. It is filled with gorgeous historic homes and buildings, lots of trees, and surrounded by beautiful countryside, rolling hills, and other historic towns. Located only 45 minutes to either New York City or Philadelphia for jobs and major shopping. I would move back in a minute if it were possible (from California, but we would still keep our place in the Villages!)

Also, there are many NJ/NY accents or no accents, depending are where you live in New Jersey. I did not develop a NJ/NY accent growing up in Princeton, nor did I hear any NJ/NY accents until I was old enough to travel towards NY or Philadelphia. Nothing wrong with NJ/NY accents but depending on what part of New Jersey you come from determines your accent.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
CT voted the worst state to be retired in, and they don't even have tomatos.
They tax you to death. I thought the taxes in NY was bad until I had moved to CT, and they have all the taxes of NY, plus they have a property tax for your car.
:
A friend of mine move to this area (Ocala) from CT and said he got an immediate $8,000 raise from not having to pay their taxes.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
A friend of mine move to this area (Ocala) from CT and said he got an immediate $8,000 raise from not having to pay their taxes.
There is, of course, a flip side to this point. Connecticut and New Jersey rank numbers 1 and 2 in per capita income in the U.S. as reported in census bureau data.

State Rankings--Statistical Abstract of the United States--Personal Income Per Capita
Old 07-05-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olgreeneyes View Post
Nice video. Lots of great places in the state to see and things to do. Surprised no one mentioned pork roll. My mouth's watering just thinking of it!
Or "Taylor Ham".....depending which side of I-195 you happened to be from!!
Old 07-05-2015, 12:08 PM

Let's remember Jersey has the boss ,bonjovi the four seasons and many more who have imprinted american music.We have the best tomatoes,great beaches and take my word for it nothing better then a
"Jersey Girl" I know because I am one.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Taxes on a 920 sq ft condo, was $4400 a year.

Taxes on a 1192 sq ft home in TV, is $1100 with homestead exemption.

No state and property tax, on one's vehicle. Works for me!!!!

BTW - The winters are much nicer too!!!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 07-05-2015, 01:32 PM

I just sold my home in Jersey after living there my entire life. I was very sad to say goodbye. I have nothing but wonderful memories of growing up in north Jersy and spending every summer at the Jersey shore. Those who don't see the beauty of the state have never been off the turnpike. It is a great state with a very diverse and interesting population. The people are wonderful and the state has many many beautiful areas to explore and enjoy.
We have fresh water and ocean water. We enjoy blue claw crabs dumped on newspaper and deep sea fishing off the party boats. The roller coaster in the ocean after hurricane Sandy was symbolic and deeply meaningful to each and every Jersey born native who can proudly say they have been to the Seaside boardwalk, rode that roller coaster and eaten pizza at the Sawmill. The boardwalk during the summer is mandatory. The WaWa is the best. We eat pork roll, cheese and egg sandwiches on a hard roll for breakfast. "What Exit" is not a joke and we still don't pump our own gas. It is a great state. I will always be a "Jersey Girl" I will soon be buying my golf cart and I can't wait to place on the back my yellow and black "Jersey Girl" license plate.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:09 PM
Sage

Visiting the Jersey shore has great memories for me. Always love the ocean and salt water.

Trips to Asbury Park and Wildwood. Loved the boardwalk, in Asbury Park.

Many great seaside locations, to visit.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 07-05-2015, 04:03 PM
Sage

Spent about six years in Jersey (exit 120 on the parkway) and loved it. Thought the folks were very friendly and they are the garden state with the best tomatoes and corn and this coming from a girl born in Ohio. Sorry Gracie!
Old 07-05-2015, 04:22 PM
Sage

We lived in the Pine Barrens of NJ, in between Philly and AC. There were many farm stands and u-pick-it farms where we lived. But when the tomatoes and zucchini were in season the best tasting and best prices were on the card tables at the end of many driveways. It really didn't pay to grow your own. People were happy to practically give it away in season.

Here's a pick-your-own list: click here
Old 07-05-2015, 07:00 PM

We absolutely love NJ! We've lived in South Jersey for over 25 years. Really sad to leave our home and wonderful neighbors. We have a beautiful, perfect home on .25 acre. 18 miles from Philadelphia. 50 miles from the shore. Our property taxes are almost $11,000 per year. We will feel like millionaires when we move. Please don't blame our Governor. We love him. He's trying to fix the problem! 27 days until we join you!
Old 07-05-2015, 08:14 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbertoni View Post
I just sold my home in Jersey after living there my entire life. I was very sad to say goodbye. I have nothing but wonderful memories of growing up in north Jersy and spending every summer at the Jersey shore. Those who don't see the beauty of the state have never been off the turnpike. It is a great state with a very diverse and interesting population. The people are wonderful and the state has many many beautiful areas to explore and enjoy.
We have fresh water and ocean water. We enjoy blue claw crabs dumped on newspaper and deep sea fishing off the party boats. The roller coaster in the ocean after hurricane Sandy was symbolic and deeply meaningful to each and every Jersey born native who can proudly say they have been to the Seaside boardwalk, rode that roller coaster and eaten pizza at the Sawmill. The boardwalk during the summer is mandatory. The WaWa is the best. We eat pork roll, cheese and egg sandwiches on a hard roll for breakfast. "What Exit" is not a joke and we still don't pump our own gas. It is a great state. I will always be a "Jersey Girl" I will soon be buying my golf cart and I can't wait to place on the back my yellow and black "Jersey Girl" license plate.
AMEN, sista!

PS - Ya missed the most awesome fireworx displays in J Palaia Park on Fri and @ Long Branch Oceanfest last nite! The good news - you also missed all of the traffic! LOL Fireworx in Seaside were cancelled last nite because a wave swamped everything dug in on the beach; and cancelled again tonite by State Fire Marshall because of anticipated winds!

Old 07-05-2015, 08:35 PM

We lived most of our lives in Audubon, South Jersey. Loved it when we were there but happy to be out due to the high taxes and cold winters.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobandMary View Post
We absolutely love NJ! We've lived in South Jersey for over 25 years. Really sad to leave our home and wonderful neighbors. We have a beautiful, perfect home on .25 acre. 18 miles from Philadelphia. 50 miles from the shore. Our property taxes are almost $11,000 per year. We will feel like millionaires when we move. Please don't blame our Governor. We love him. He's trying to fix the problem! 27 days until we join you!
Do you live in Medford?
Closed Thread

Tags
jersey

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.