Thoughts to ponder

Closed Thread
Old 06-24-2015, 08:15 AM
Veteran member
Default Thoughts to ponder

Just read an article by the Atlantic entitled "Is Google making us stupid?"

I know I notice the difference computers make when I'm in a store and it is clear the young staff don't know how to manually count back change but it is more than that. Are we losing the ability to think deeply, contemplate, mull things around and hold them long enough so that creativity is stirred.

What say you?
Old 06-24-2015, 10:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I don't think google makes us stupid. I don't think a search on the computer Is different than pulling out an encyclopedia. I feel differently about calculators In math class. You need math basics to do many things in life. Grammar has gone by way of the dinosaurs in part because of twitter and texts, and spelling because of spellcheck.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimandMe View Post
Just read an article by the Atlantic entitled "Is Google making us stupid?"

I know I notice the difference computers make when I'm in a store and it is clear the young staff don't know how to manually count back change but it is more than that. Are we losing the ability to think deeply, contemplate, mull things around and hold them long enough so that creativity is stirred.

What say you?

I think Google is like having the world libraries at your finger tips. All it does is provide information, You are the one that has to ask it and then act on it. I am one that thinks that we can accrue knowledge, but much, NOT ALL, of our reasoning powers are genetic. And our common sense usually comes from our families or the school of hard knocks or both. Math skills are learned for sure, but who to marry, not so much.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:45 AM
Sage

I found the article on-line. click here

I think if you read the article, mull it over and come to your own conclusion than the author does not need to worry about Google [writing, the printing press or Hal] making us stupid.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:26 PM
Sage

Every invention is as good or bad as the person who has in their hands.

Media has spawned a lazier generation. IMHO

It's up to every person to expand their knowledge whether by reading and communicating with people who have wisdom/knowledge to impart. If one thinks they know everything, that is the maximum amount of knowledge they will ever have.

Google can only increase one's knowledge if they use it, to look up useful info.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 06-24-2015, 01:43 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Helps everyone be an expert.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:45 PM
Email Reported As Spam

There is so much misinformation and some down right trash on the internet that I do believe it harms people. Some indicate readily accessible information at our finger tips but people read it and take it as gospel. Not enough people research, analysis etc. As side bar kids are losing because cursive writing is not being taught. If the internet were used properly as one learning tool it would be beneficial but its used by kids as entertainment and it is an unwanted distraction I am a firm believer in teaching kids the basic of reading writing and arithmetic and then graduating them on to more sophistication.
Closed Thread

Tags
losing, ability, change, back, deeply, hold, creativity, long, things, contemplate, mull, stirred, count, young, google, entitled, making, stupid, atlantic, ponder, read, article, notice, difference, thoughts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.