Thoughts on use of pot.

Closed Thread
Old 07-14-2021, 12:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
In all honesty, why would you quit if it was your perfect panacea? I love talking and having a conversation with someone smoking dope. (I lied, but then I don’t enjoy conversation with drinkers when they are fried.)
I can't speak for the OP, but I tried it in the late 60's and all my friends did. But, I stopped when I joined the Marines and never started again because it being illegal made it not worth the risk. I have recently become licensed and use it now, but we also considered moving to a state where it legal. But TV won that debate, so I got a license, and pay the state a few hundred a year to be permitted to use it.
Old 07-14-2021, 12:55 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
I can't speak for the OP, but I tried it in the late 60's and all my friends did. But, I stopped when I joined the Marines and never started again because it being illegal made it not worth the risk. I have recently become licensed and use it now, but we also considered moving to a state where it legal. But TV won that debate, so I got a license, and pay the state a few hundred a year to be permitted to use it.
Grumpy, with the health issue you recently mentioned, I would personally be wary. They have noted pot does shrink the brain, not as much as alcohol, but it does affect it. Wishing you nothing but good health!
Old 07-14-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfree1411@aol.com View Post
Driving is an experience, you S-L-O-W down, stop at green lights, stop for a long while at stop signs. No danger of speeding or having an accident.
I could be wrong but THAT just might cause an accident.
Old 07-14-2021, 03:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Since I have seen the effects is has on users over the years I do not support its legalization.

Follow the money.

Who and what entities lobbied through its legalization?

Who/what entities stand to benefit?

States will tax it so stand to gain although they (taxpayers) will bear some of the costs of pot use.
That's exactly what was said about the repeal of the abolition of alcohol in this country. At least cannabis has some medicinal value. Southern Comfort - does not.
Old 07-14-2021, 03:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
I’ve seen support groups for Pain killer abuse supplied by Pharmaceutical companies
Support groups for Alcohol abuse.
If have not seen a support group for Marijuana abuse.
No one has ever died because of cannabis abuse. Also, if it's illegal, ANY use of it would be considered "abuse." It can't NOT be abuse, if you're not allowed to have any at all in the first place.

But no one has ever died from an overdose of cannabis. That's probably why there aren't any support groups. It just isn't deadly, and stopping its use doesn't have the physiological withdrawal symptoms that other drugs (including alcohol) have if you're addicted to them.

Cannabis can be habit-forming, but it's not physiologically addictive.
Old 07-14-2021, 03:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Yup, and redirect all the money (BILLIONS) we spend every year locking people up for smoking MJ, into drug treatment facilities for people that get into things over their heads and they can then get back into the workforce and start paying taxes again.
Right now they're costing the taxpayer billions. They get free food, water, shelter, clothing, a stipend, plus work credits, college degree if they want it, legal assistance, and housing assistance when they get out. And of course since they're now an ex-con, they're not eligible for most jobs, or business loans, and the jobs they CAN get are mostly minimum wage. So they end up stuck in the circular cycle of crime, and we the people whine about how all these criminals are living on the taxpayer dollar.

Here's an idea: you can make these folks NOT be criminals, by making use and possession of cannabis legal. At the very least, it should be legal for medical use, and controlled for recreational use (like, you can ingest whatever, but can't smoke it anywhere in public, and fines/penalties/jail time for driving while under the influence, just as it is now with any other drug).
Old 07-14-2021, 03:34 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Right now they're costing the taxpayer billions. They get free food, water, shelter, clothing, a stipend, plus work credits, college degree if they want it, legal assistance, and housing assistance when they get out. And of course since they're now an ex-con, they're not eligible for most jobs, or business loans, and the jobs they CAN get are mostly minimum wage. So they end up stuck in the circular cycle of crime, and we the people whine about how all these criminals are living on the taxpayer dollar.

Here's an idea: you can make these folks NOT be criminals, by making use and possession of cannabis legal. At the very least, it should be legal for medical use, and controlled for recreational use (like, you can ingest whatever, but can't smoke it anywhere in public, and fines/penalties/jail time for driving while under the influence, just as it is now with any other drug).
Talk about convoluted logic, now they can’t hold a job because they’re stoned and they have to rob, steal and burglarize to support their out of touch with reality life.
Old 07-14-2021, 04:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,177 Times in 4,234 Posts

Quote:

Where are all of these people being arrested and jailed for simple possession?

-Tom Petty
Old 07-14-2021, 04:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

I see no reason to define a new law for an intoxicating substance. We already have one, and it does NOT ban it's use in public, but does restrict it - like Alcohol.
Old 07-14-2021, 04:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Here is a pew report on it. I think the incarceration for possession is on the decline since so many states are making it legal. At this point, simple possession of small amounts is treated more like driving without seat belts or talking on your phone while driving. it is not enough to get you pulled over, but if you are pulled over and annoy the cop, they can add those on.

I don't recall where I saw it, but I think around 99% of drug related charges today are for trafficking.

Same with small possession, if you have some it is illegal and can be stacked onto other charges.

Pew Report
Old 07-14-2021, 04:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,177 Times in 4,234 Posts

Quote:
Here is a pew report on it. I think the incarceration for possession is on the decline since so many states are making it legal. At this point, simple possession of small amounts is treated more like driving without seat belts or talking on your phone while driving. it is not enough to get you pulled over, but if you are pulled over and annoy the cop, they can add those on.

I don't recall where I saw it, but I think around 99% of drug related charges today are for trafficking.

Same with small possession, if you have some it is illegal and can be stacked onto other charges.

Pew Report
They are ignoring the fact that most "possession" convictions are plead down to that, by lazy DAs, looking for a quick and easy conviction (to keep up their numbers)...

They drop their "intent to distribute" or the gun charges to get a quick guilty plea...

-Tom Petty
Old 07-14-2021, 04:52 PM
Location: Newburgh NY, Berwick PA, Grand Forks ND, Tampa Fl, Wenatchee Wash, TN, OK, TX, NC, OH, FL

A friend just came back from New Orleans. Where he stayed (French quarter) it’s legal there. He said the place stunk with pot smoking and every corner had people selling it. It’s a amazing cigarette smoking is so bad for people’s health, but pot smoking does so good. Nothing bad, it stinks and destroys in the long run. Most kids who smoke weed, start with it but then try other drugs. I remember how at bus stops some of the kids smelled the bus when they got on after smoking a joint. I guess if it was in the brownies and not smoked we would’ve only knew because of their yeah man speech. But they were 13 yr olds. If you sit out on the lanai and the smoke drifts to you, what do you think? Remember pot smokers enjoy company who indulge with them. Hey, the dancing will change at the squares, it could be entertaining!
Old 07-14-2021, 05:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
I see no reason to define a new law for an intoxicating substance. We already have one, and it does NOT ban it's use in public, but does restrict it - like Alcohol.
I just don't feel it should be smoked in public. Not even in places where smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol is allowed (like outdoor bars, cigar + cognac lounges, etc). Unlike nicotine, cannibis smoke, second-hand, CAN create a mind-altering effect.
Old 07-14-2021, 05:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
As of last year, there were around 4000 people already in jail and serving time for "possession" of marijuana as the primary charge. Fewer than 10% of cannibis-related incarcerations were for trafficking. Possession alone can incur up to 7 years in federal prison. It doesn't usually, but it can. It's on the books.

It doesn't even matter if it's 7 years, or 7 days. Once you're in for possession, you are a convicted criminal and your chances of getting a decent job are down the tubes.
Old 07-14-2021, 05:19 PM
Veteran member

Alcohol and nicotine are 2 of the 5 most addictive drugs. Marijuana isn’t addictive. So…… I’m all for legalizing it. The states that already have are reaping the benefits in $$$$.
Closed Thread

Tags
thoughts, pot, read, 75%, americans

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.