Time to Wake Up

Closed Thread
Old 03-05-2019, 08:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

I care about things that are real and important. But, for example, when the media makes a big deal out of the debt ceiling being reached and they say that the Government is going to default because of it, I am smart enough to know that it will not happen. Or, that the Government is going to "shut down", I know that will not happen. It seems as though the media just wants to report on outrageous stories without providing a common sense perspective.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:01 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

24/7 news can drive you “nuts” if you just sit around and watch it all the time. Best to spend your time on things which you have at least an iota of control.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Old 03-06-2019, 06:17 AM

To paraphrase Scott Adams, It's as if we're all in the same theater, watching the same screen, but each of us is seeing a different movie.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:22 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmarkp View Post
To paraphrase Scott Adams, It's as if we're all in the same theater, watching the same screen, but each of us is seeing a different movie.
Amen.

People's brains are all wired differently and we all process information differently. Tolerance is trying to understand another persons point of view.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Amen.

People's brains are all wired differently and we all process information differently. Tolerance is trying to understand another persons point of view.
Understanding another's point of view SHOULD be our mantra always, BUT as it used to be......based on the truth

When your "point of view" is based on proven lies, of what value is it.

We used to, in the past, begin with facts and then form an opinion based on that and not the rankings of others. Yes, there are times when "facts" are not clear but most times, a lie is easily recognized. We don't seem to care that we enable lying, and are happy to defend lies.

We, in today's world, are "wired" to believe whatever source is comfortable, not necessarily truthful.

In my public life, the debate was on how to resolve an issue, not denigrating those who bring up an issue.

Last edited by Bucco; 03-06-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
I agree that search for truth is never ending. But when I get to the age that the truth causes me more unhappiness than not knowing about it I think I'd lean toward being blissfully ignorant.

I'm working my butt off to prepare for retirement. I want that retirement to be happy. If ignoring the truth that I can't control eliminates some unhappiness I think I will take that path.

At some point I can see myself not caring just for the simple fact that NOTHING I can do will change the outcome.

I admire your tenaciousness. You obviously care about a lot of things. And hopefully that makes you happy.
I have been retired now for 21 years.

I was unhappy with liars and "users" before. Retired, and guess what..truth has not changed and my unhappiness with liars hasn't either, nor do I want to change to be "wired" to accept liars.

I ALWAYS want to care.
Closed Thread

Tags
group, year, suicide, time, deaths

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.