Tipping for delivery to car

Closed Thread
Old 10-09-2020, 08:32 AM

Used GRUBHUB the other day for the first time. They charged a 5.99 delivery fee, a $3.50 service fee and a driver tip of 18% or 20% or 25% (your choice). I am not cheap and I tip well at restaurants but I will just go pickup my food from now on because I am also not that lazy
Old 10-09-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
I don't tip for curbside pickup, but I suppose it would be the same as whatever you tip the person who helps you carry out your groceries when you're in the store? For me, that's nothing as well.

If you want to tip, 10% seems reasonable, imo.

Wal-Mart policies prohibit employees from accepting tips, for whatever that's worth.
And Publix charges your more for the food and forces you to pay for a subscription service
Old 10-09-2020, 08:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcurrie911 View Post
I’m curious. When did it become necessary to tip someone for doing their job? I’ve been a server in restaurants. In most if not all cases servers are paid less than minimum wage with the expectation that tips would raise their income to minimum wage. So I understand the concept of tipping. (Actually from what I have read tipping seems to have come about in the US when hotels employed Newley freed slaves but did not pay them any wage and told them that tips were their only income, but I digress.) So, if someone is being paid a fair wage at or above minimum wage why do you feel compelled to tip them? Did they do something above and beyond? Are they making less than minimum wage and I am not aware? Or do you simply have more money than me, or more than you need ? As I said, I’m curious.
Most of those workers for purposes of this discussion have suffered financially recently. Why not tip if you can afford it. Can't take it with you.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

I never let the Publix employee help me with cart because they won’t take tip, if I’m in Boston even if I have 3 things I’ll let them help me because I can tip them . you should always tip at least 20% for delivery if I pick up Chinese at business I usually put money in cup. People should tip at least 20% in restaurants, personally I’m between 30%and40%and I never saw a cup I didn’t drop something in .I do this because I can and because most of the people we come across everyday could use it
Old 10-09-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcurrie911 View Post
I’m curious. When did it become necessary to tip someone for doing their job? I’ve been a server in restaurants. In most if not all cases servers are paid less than minimum wage with the expectation that tips would raise their income to minimum wage. So I understand the concept of tipping. (Actually from what I have read tipping seems to have come about in the US when hotels employed Newley freed slaves but did not pay them any wage and told them that tips were their only income, but I digress.) So, if someone is being paid a fair wage at or above minimum wage why do you feel compelled to tip them? Did they do something above and beyond? Are they making less than minimum wage and I am not aware? Or do you simply have more money than me, or more than you need ? As I said, I’m curious.
Well first of all those delivering your items curbside greatly reduced your chances of getting infected keeping you from paying the ultimate price from contracting COVID. Consider that aspect of the service provided. If it's still not worth tipping in your mind, maybe you should do your own shopping or go inside to pick up your to go order. Curbside service is not something business are required to offer but do to survive and to keep employee working. And do you tip your barber or hairdresser? Aren't they just doing their job too?
Old 10-09-2020, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

I refuse to eat in any restaurant that adds a service charge, but have always tipped more than the charge.
Always thought it presumptuous to assume a customer is happy with service.
Why do we tip servers, carriers etc. but never nurses, first responders etc?
Old 10-09-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
Good for you! These people generally share their tips with all the workers, and that’s a huge percentage of their income, and they can’t serve as many people, so their tips are way down. Do they deserve 20% for carrying my food to my car? No. But I do it to help them out. Beats having people on unemployment. For home deliveries, I tip much higher. I can afford it. I already save so much money by eating at home nearly all the time.
I totally agree with you. My wife and I ate out last night, the service was excellent.
I used my credit card for the meal but, handed the server a $10 bill for the tip.
She was very appreciative ....also made me feel good.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Really? The Walmart employees delivering groceries to my car have never refused a tip. I don't know if the "shopper" is the same one who delivers the groceries, I doubt it, but I appreciate their hard work, anyway.
When this first started, I shopped on line and picked my groceries up at Walmart, curbside. The first time, I tipped. I ALWAYS tip at least 20%. After that, when I tried to tip at Walmart, they said they were not allowed to take tips.

I have been told many times that Villagers can be real skimpy when tipping so I try to tip well. I appreciate folks that are willing to work in these types of jobs and know how difficult some folks can be.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:01 PM

At least 20%
Old 10-09-2020, 12:25 PM
Platinum member
Default Session fee

Cheap people will rationalize it to be low to none. They have the " pharoah" syndrome and intend to take their assets into the underworld.
Generous people find a way to tip based on their empathy for their fellow man
there are many tests in this life to separate the wheat from the chaff
SESSION OVER
Old 10-09-2020, 02:52 PM
Gold member

I tip... no set amount or % but yes definitely tip!
Old 10-09-2020, 08:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I refuse to eat in any restaurant that adds a service charge, but have always tipped more than the charge.
Always thought it presumptuous to assume a customer is happy with service.
Why do we tip servers, carriers etc. but never nurses, first responders etc?
You refuse to eat in a restaurant that adds a service charge? Is that when you are in the U.S.? 'Cause I thought that in UK, as well as Europe, a service charge is routinely added. When traveling there I appreciated that, versus the U.S. system where servers rely on tips.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
Given the pandemic, I’ve been giving a 20% tip. I know, I know, but everything was shut down and I try to do what I can to help them out.
I agree.

Since we got $2400 from the government for sitting on our ass, we have been tipping much more than we used to.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Your money your choice
I don’t want to sound mean but if I tip any body any amount of money it’s for a good job well done. They ought to get a raise from their employer for good work. Apparently they’re employer should pay them better so they wouldn’t have to depend on tips to supplement there incomes. Tips should given if the service is good. They won’t remember one time to the next. But it’s nice that you tip!
Old 10-10-2020, 05:40 AM
Platinum member

Curbside delivery at Publix & Walmart are NOT allowed to take a tip.
Publix delivery already charges you almost 10% over regular prices.
I think tipping another 20% over that is ridiculous.

Tags
tipping, delivery, car, proper, tip

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.