Tipping -- What is wrong with some people????

Closed Thread
Old 10-25-2013, 08:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I wonder myself how people could do it? Do they truly NOT know that these hardworking people do not have a salary? Can they not place themselves in another persons shoes just for a minute? Have they stood on their feet for eight or nine hours until they ached?

Did no one in their family ever work as a server?

I don't know P. How can people be so unfeeling?
Dunno, but it's kind of ironic, isn't it? The people who turn up their noses at "the little people" are the real little people. Maybe it's some kind of latent self-hatred.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Veteran member

Some things should be inherent. When one buys a car, one then has to purchase insurance, gas, repairs, etc.

Eating out is the same principle. Tipping is the American way. If you feel that you can't afford the tip, then don't eat out. I personally tip about 25%, but will go higher for a good server. At most of our local restaurants, I have a favorite server and will ask for him/her. As Kathie I said previously, you are remembered and will always receive good service. We go to karoake @ Bonifay each Monday and always have the same server who immediately brings us our favorite beverage as soon as we walk in. Same for Cody's ,the Waterfront and City Fire. I enjoy a trouble-free meal and believe that the server should be rewarded accordingly.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
As many of you know, my daughter is a server at Olive Garden. It seems that lately people have been leaving notes on checks rather than tipping (this started after OG started putting recommended tip amounts). Some of these comments have included, "Trevon Martin got no justice so you get no tip." "Thanks to Obama, I'm losing my Medicare so you get to lose your tip." "I only make 10% on my annuities so I'm not giving you 18%." and so on and so forth. I've never heard of such small-minded petty comments before.

I understand that some people don't believe in tipping and, I guess, that's up to them but to blame a server for the politics of a state or the general economy is just plain mean.
I know what you mean my daughter is a server at Magnolia Oyster bar. She shucks buckets of oysters and gets 50 cent tip. I always tip over 20% to make up for all the cheapskates who dont. Servers get paid 3 to 4 $ an hour. They work real hard. Please tip your servers! No more notes too! That is just rude and you are punishing a hard working person.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,144 Times in 830 Posts

Redwitch has brought up an interesting topic. I would like to see any documentation that the IRS assumes an 18% tip. Everything I have ever read gives a much lower number. IRS publication for 2013 gives an 8% tip rate as acceptable before any additional allocation is added to the servers' reported tips and even allows it to be as low as 2% with documentation to the IRS.

"You must allocate tips among employees who receive them if the total tips reported to you during any payroll period are less than 8% (or the approved lower rate) of this
establishment's gross receipts for that period.
Generally, the amount allocated is the difference between the total tips reported by employees and 8% (or the lower rate) of the gross receipts, other than nonallocable receipts.
Lower rate. You (or a majority of the employees) may request a lower rate (but not lower than 2%) by submitting a petition to:
Internal Revenue Service
National Tip Reporting Compliance"

It is also illegal for a restaurant to take the cost of a dine and dash from the server's pay. This is federal law so local rules wouldn't apply

After A Dine-And-Dash, Is It Legal For A Restaurant To Take Money From A Waiter’s Tips?

And Gracie, just for you.. a story about dine and dash happening too often in OHIO

Saddling Servers With Customers' Unpaid Tabs Is Illegal by Connie Schultz on Creators.com - A Syndicate Of Talent

I can't comment on other practices like crystal lite, or broken glasses although this information from the Department of Labor suggests that for minimum wage workers no such deduction would be legal
http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs16.pdf

And a blog by a Florida lawyer on restaurant employee law
Florida Restaurant Law: Walkouts – Who Is Responsible For Paying The Check?

Of course what is legal or ethical versus the real world of working as a server might be different. This is a fire at will state with minimal employee protections. So while it may be illegal to "ask" the server to pay, the restaurant could legally fire you for no reason required at any time. I would love to know which local restaurants force their servers to pay for the dine and ditch fiends or for broken plates etc. It would likely alter my dining choices. Just as retail stores calculate the additional cost of shoplifters and breakage into their charges so I believe would a restaurant in their initial meal pricing.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:39 AM
Sage

I'm all for servers being tipped fairly because I did it for years. I don't doubt the servers here have received some nasty notes, but especially when "Treyvon justice" is mentioned, I think it is a Hot Button that sparks an absolute foaming-at-the-mouth frenzy much larger than the incidents that have actually occurred with that particular message.

Until there is documented proof of this happening numerous times, I don't think we should assume it is the norm.

I do believe some cranky old f*rts would resent their retirement funds dwindling in comparison to what they THINK a server earns, looking at the total price of a meal once they've bought drinks, appetizers, entrees, and desserts.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I was on the Kansas City Chiefs message board and they were discussing tipping and I found this story.

A server at a Carrabba's Italian Grill in Kansas was shocked to find a note left behind by a pair customers praising him for his excellent service, but denying him a tip due to his "homosexual lifestyle."

The unidentified 20-year-old, who works as a waiter at the casual dining chain's Overland Park location, had returned to his section after the couple exited the restaurant to find the note scribbled on the back of the check.

Thank you for your service, it was excellent. That being said, we cannot in good conscience tip you, for your homosexual lifestyle is an affront to GOD. Queers do not share in the wealth of GOD, and you will not share in ours. We hope you will see the tip your fag choices made you lose out on, and plan accordingly. It is never too late for GOD'S love, but none shall be spared for fags. May GOD have mercy on you.

The server's mom, who happens to be a hostess at the same restaurant, told the paper the customers were lucky she didn't see the note first or "the claws" would have come out.

After word began to spread on the social web about the incident, many residents started coming in to express their support for the victim.

"This does not represent Christianity. I called them Pharisees," Dr. Marvin Baker, a local pastor, told KCTV. "God really loves us. And God does not advertise or promote hate. That is not love."

In a statement, Carrabba's said it opposes discrimination and believes "in treating everyone with respect."

Though he has refused to be identified or speak directly to the press, the server did release a statement of his own, saying "The offers to help pay me back are much appreciated, but not at all needed. I'd prefer to let my work ethic and my service do the talking, nothing else."

Customers Praise Server's Excellent Service, But Refuse to Tip a 'Fag'

The Villages Florida
Old 10-26-2013, 04:18 PM

A friend of mine's daughter is a server in the Villages and she came home the other night and showed us her tip from a table of 7. It was a pamphlet on the ways to get to heaven. She said while she was serving the customers, they were very friendly and appreciative of her since they kept changing their orders. She was shocked when she got the "tip"....we told her it is unfortunate for sure and in the restaurant business you will meet all types..some good, some not so good, and some just downright rude.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:57 PM

My husband always "over tips" He believes that waiter/waitress work hard for a small wage and count on their tips for their yearly income. After reading this I will encourage him to continue to do so and hopefully it will make up for the ignorance of others. How sad for these hard working servers.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:43 PM
Sage

To redwitch's original post: I can understand some people being bothered by restaurants putting suggest tip amounts on the bill. It kinda bugs me a little - almost feels like the restaurant's telling me what to do. No matter - we always tip at or above what would be considered the generally acceptable ranges based on the service provided. But if someone who's bothered by the "suggested amount printing on the bill" practice, they should voice their concerns to management and not take it up with the server. Maybe those kinds of folks are just looking in the wrong place to vent their frustration............or they're just using it as a convenient way to stiff the server.

However, on another note............and trying to interject a touch of humor here - - - - - - - - If I can tell that a server has got a good sense of humor, here's something I'll pull out of the hat at times: When they hand us the bill, I'll point to the total and ask the server what 2% of that amount is. I'll tell them I need some help figuring up their tip. The reactions I get are pretty funny, all the way from "I'm not real good with math - let me get a calculator" (and they're drop-dead serious!) to those who try to figure it up in their head to those who just break out laughing hysterically.............to the really sharp ones who quickly toss back a big number like $20 or something. Always trying to keep people on their toes!!! Never had anybody even be the least bit offended.

I feel for people who are in such a profession - I couldn't do it.........I'd be chasing the cheapskates out in the parking lot!!!

Bill
Old 10-26-2013, 06:24 PM
Veteran member

DH has always been a good tipper. Both of us reason that the wait person is there working trying to make a living. Their job is hard and frustrating...why should we make it any harder? Life is too short not to be appreciative of the small things.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:48 PM
Veteran member

The restaurants have to put on suggested tip amounts because of foreign visitors who do not understand need for tipping. In many countries tip is included.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:23 PM
Default tipping whats wrong with people

I find it so disgusting that they would not tip their server because he was gay. They had no problem with him serving them their meals. The server is a much better person.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
all the service people I have encountered in my admittedly short time here, have been so upbeat and pleasant. They are so accommodating to using coupons with separate checks, etc. I can't understand how someone would react so poorly to such good treatment.
That is horrible behavior and inexcusable. Servers depend on tips and work hard for them. They deserve an appropriate tip, not an excuse. Some folks are just plain cheap.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

[QUOTE=boomerbaby;769116]I find it so disgusting that they would not tip their server because he was gay. They had no problem with him serving them their meals. The server is a much better person.[/QUOTE

I agree. If the patrons so despised the fact that the server is gay, why accept his service? And how did they know he is gay? If they knew in advance that he was gay and had such an objection, why did they accept service from him? They could have moved to another server's area or left. And what's up with the use of the word fag vis-a-vis their almighty, self-righteous Godspeak? The whole leave-a-note thing was very passive-aggressive. Obviously didn't have the nerve to speak up initially. Cowards!

This really argues for the US restaurants adopting the European standard of adding the tip to the bill. It weeds out the morons. More often than not, you get good service, and the tip is deserved.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:45 PM
Location: Lived in Chatham for 3 years. Moved to Mira Mesa in 2009
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
If one has enough money and health to eat out at Olive Garden, and enough brains to write a coherent note, one is neither too poor nor too ill to leave a good server a good tip.
Well stated and true. I agree.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.