Tipping -- What is wrong with some people????

Closed Thread
Old 10-27-2013, 04:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
To redwitch's original post: I can understand some people being bothered by restaurants putting suggest tip amounts on the bill. It kinda bugs me a little - almost feels like the restaurant's telling me what to do. No matter - we always tip at or above what would be considered the generally acceptable ranges based on the service provided. But if someone who's bothered by the "suggested amount printing on the bill" practice, they should voice their concerns to management and not take it up with the server. Maybe those kinds of folks are just looking in the wrong place to vent their frustration............or they're just using it as a convenient way to stiff the server.

However, on another note............and trying to interject a touch of humor here - - - - - - - - If I can tell that a server has got a good sense of humor, here's something I'll pull out of the hat at times: When they hand us the bill, I'll point to the total and ask the server what 2% of that amount is. I'll tell them I need some help figuring up their tip. The reactions I get are pretty funny, all the way from "I'm not real good with math - let me get a calculator" (and they're drop-dead serious!) to those who try to figure it up in their head to those who just break out laughing hysterically.............to the really sharp ones who quickly toss back a big number like $20 or something. Always trying to keep people on their toes!!! Never had anybody even be the least bit offended.

I feel for people who are in such a profession - I couldn't do it.........I'd be chasing the cheapskates out in the parking lot!!!

Bill
Maybe you make it clear by your tone and expression that you are joking around. I'll bet you do it nicely like that, just as you did here with emoticons...that's why no one felt jerked around...except a few.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

[quote=CFrance;769157]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerbaby View Post
I find it so disgusting that they would not tip their server because he was gay. They had no problem with him serving them their meals. The server is a much better person.[/QUOTE

I agree. If the patrons so despised the fact that the server is gay, why accept his service? And how did they know he is gay? If they knew in advance that he was gay and had such an objection, why did they accept service from him? They could have moved to another server's area or left. And what's up with the use of the word fag vis-a-vis their almighty, self-righteous Godspeak? The whole leave-a-note thing was very passive-aggressive. Obviously didn't have the nerve to speak up initially. Cowards!

This really argues for the US restaurants adopting the European standard of adding the tip to the bill. It weeds out the morons. More often than not, you get good service, and the tip is deserved.
Being so unkind and so cheap and so MEAN is not what I understand being a Christian is supposed to be.

Sometimes I think that we're done and we might as well be dead...

But...I'm stuck like a dope with a thing called hope and I can't get it out of my head.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0DusO6ipLw[/ame]

Note.

Girls, SGP Special meeting in Olive Garden Parking lot today at one. Bring your big ones.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:33 AM
Sage

Yo G, aren't those big ones usually permanently attached ??
Old 10-27-2013, 06:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Yo G, aren't those big ones usually permanently attached ??
OH.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:07 AM

We watched a group of 8 people at the bar of Cane Garden the other night leave NO tip to the bartender after ordering a series of drinks, then changing their minds, then ordering again. We commented to him about the snub. He said you haven't seen anything yet. As for the fools who write notes to their servers, there day is coming. Karma is on the way....
Old 10-27-2013, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

There is a movement going on at drive-thrus of some fast food restaurants where you place your order at one window and drive to the next to pay. People are paying for the car behind them who just placed their order. it's been on the news. They dubbed it "paying it backward."

Just thought I'd inject a little positive news that points out the difference between these people and the mean-spirited customers at OG.

But I'll still get out the squirt gun, Gracie.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:05 AM
Gold member

I bet the gal writes notes on her check too.

Lady to hand out letters instead of candy to fat trick or treaters
Old 10-30-2013, 10:38 AM

Servers, waitress or whatever the politically correct term these days...these people work very hard at their jobs, for less then min. wage pay and rely on their tips to subsidize their incomes. I put myself through college years ago waiting tables. At the time a 15% tip was great and 20% fantastic. Leaving notes on your guest tab is simply rude. I think the note leavers ought to try a few shifts out on the floor. Maybe their attitudes would be different. It's a hard job with tons of opening and closing sidework on top of waiting your tables. I have total respect for those who wait tables...it ain't easy folks.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:09 AM
Email Reported As Spam

To the poster regarding non-caffeine, non-sugar drinks....sorry, I forgot who it was...the best solution is club soda. Put a twist of lime or lemon, and it's just like having a cocktail (well...sorta), refershing, bubbly, and has some taste. Depending on your sugar tolerance, you can even ask for a splash of juice, just a teaspoon, or so. That will really perk it up.

I gave up caffeine and artificial sweetners a while back, and club soda, and seltzer, have saved me from my Diet Coke withdrawals...lol.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:41 AM

Restaurant waitstaff need tips just to make minimum wage. Your restaurant bill is lower because your server is paid less than what anyone should be paid to make even a minimal living. Anyone who feels they cannot "afford" to add 18% to their restaurant bill should stay home and doing the cooking, serving and clean-up themselves.

I always tip at least 20%, never less than $5, no matter how small the bill. Can you imagine deciding when checking out at a grocery store that even though your bill is $100 you are only going to pay $82? That is exactly what you re doing if you decide to not leave a tip.

Finally, i would like to offer my gratitude to all the wonderful waitstaff at the restaurants around The Villages. I am always amazed at how you can do your jobs with such a great attitude, smiles and pleasantries knowing that your customer may not reciprocate since leaving a tip continues to be an option and not a requirement.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:48 AM
Sage

Please. NOT only tip well but THANK your servers. I have YET to get a subpar person bringing me food jere in this place. My very favorite as a group are the ones at Bob Evans. Most of them are well, quite grown up and certainly old enough to live here.

We live close to Bob Evans and it is a favorite place to grab a bite on a busy day. They are always welcoming and very pleasant. The food is simple and tastes like home. They employ a LOT of seniors there.

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-03-2013 at 04:12 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I have read all these comments and the entire issue is mind-boggling. First of all, let me say that in America it is the custom to "tip" but what one tips is entirely "PERSONAL". Not everyone agrees that 15, 18 or 20% or more is the accepted norm. Not everyone belives like you or I and that ranges from our beliefs in politics, religion, sex and "tipping". Is some one who only gets sex XX times a month/year short changed??? Or was that only X times! Now that would be a topic of discussion!!

Comments such as I tip 20% but a minimun of $5...So what,..I heard someone say I tip 30% and a minimum of $10??? Is this for real or BS, or are you trying to make someone feel bad or are you boasting your ego?? A person tips what they can afford or believes is right, and to critize someone for doing otherwise I think is wrong. The system we have grown up in is the real fault but I cant say its wrong..its what we know. Service workers work hard and should be paid an acceptable wage.

We are comming into the season where this issue will or I should say "may" apply to others. There is no right or wrong answer...just follow your instincts and do what YOU think is right.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:06 AM
Default reply

If I was a server and you left me a note instead of a tip you better check your soup next time you come here, You just might find a dead mouse in it , or maybe just a roach. your drink taste a little funny?

Last edited by gamby; 11-03-2013 at 12:14 AM. Reason: wrong word
Old 11-03-2013, 01:07 AM

iT'S SO SAD THAT OUR SOCIETY IS GETTING SO PETTY . IF YOU ARE SO CHEAP THAT YOU DONT WANT TO BLESS SOMEONE OR CANT AFFORD BEST KEEP YOUR OPINION TO YOURSELF.WHY INSULT ON TOP OF INJURY.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.